Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,421 times

Advertisements

Due to the incidents last year at New Year's Eve in Cologne over 2000 police and security will guard the city. I was wondering how many police is present in towns with similar numbers of inhabitants as Dallas, TX or Praque in Czech Republic to guard New Year's Eve events. Does anybody know?

Cologne to have 10 times more police for New Year's Eve party - The Local
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 02:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,349,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Due to the incidents last year at New Year's Eve in Cologne over 2000 police and security will guard the city. I was wondering how many police is present in towns with similar numbers of inhabitants as Dallas, TX or Praque in Czech Republic to guard New Year's Eve events. Does anybody know?

Cologne to have 10 times more police for New Year's Eve party - The Local
Before the refugee crisis and some threats in 2015, Vienna had 1250 policemen along the "New Year Trail" in the 1st district in 2014.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,940 times
New Years in the US is really nothing compared to in Germany, mostly private fireworks are illegal, not so much drinking on the street...
Even when I lived in a small city in the Eifel 2000-2005 the New Years seemed like a war zone, it seemed to always end up with aggresive drunk groups shooting fireworks at each other and anything that moved.

Village New Years Eves are cool, but in the city it's kind of nuts. Still maybe I will go have a look in Mannheim this year just to see.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,335,223 times
Now all the police is gathering in Cologne, so that the criminals will choose Dusseldorf, Dortmund or any other city for their activities?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Now all the police is gathering in Cologne, so that the criminals will choose Dusseldorf, Dortmund or any other city for their activities?
I expect they will be out in force in most city's.
Am a bit curious how it will be here in Monnem.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:09 AM

26,797 posts, read 22,584,485 times
And while I am at it - I was totally shocked learning about this from Russian sites;

Maria Ladenburger murder - EU official daughter killed by refugee | World | News | Daily Express

And this too - what THIS is all about? Has it been investigated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXLmZPYInw4

So yes, I'd like to know how many policemen Germans are going to put on the streets - during the New Year's eve and otherwise..?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

And this too - what THIS is all about? Has it been investigated?
As of last night they got one of his companions, if they don't have him yet it won't be too long

Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM

26,797 posts, read 22,584,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
As of last night they got one of his companions, if they don't have him yet it won't be too long
It was in Berlin from what I understood? Did they even know her?
Is the woman ok?
That was very dangerous fall from what I see.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It was in Berlin from what I understood? Did they even know her?
Is the woman ok?
That was very dangerous fall from what I see.
Yes Berlin,
She broke an arm, but nothing life threatening.
They did not know her, perhaps they had words before though.

My 16 year old daughter travels by train a lot, though all and all it's still quite safe stuff like this is scary.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,117,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post

That's unlikely. Statistically, there is one policeman for about 328 residents in Germany. That would mean that the city of Cologne has more than 3,000 policemen, at least statistically.

On New Year's Eve city centers in Germany resemble more like war zones. It's the night were otherwise well behaved people are getting crazy. Despite the chaos there are normally not many policemen needed. This year many more policemen will be in service.

But even with much more policemen on the streets, there will be still enough room for potential criminals for doing offences. There are just too many people on the streets on New Year's Eve in Germany. There is even chaos in smaller city districts. Most people celebrate New Year's Eve on the streets. It's the worst day for fire and rescue services.

Footage from last New Year's Eve in Düsseldorf-Altstadt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uo5P3266o

And from Düsseldorf-Oberkassel (one of the most affluent city districts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLBYXmTa_P4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe