Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

How many of you on the European continent have heard of well known Rick Steves, American travel writer and tour company host.

He is considered a top American expert on travel in Europe (and even a little beyond into the Middle East) and has written guidebooks, produced TV shows, and has his own tour company?

Have you heard of him?
What do you think of him?

Is he "corny/cheesy" in any way in your opinion?

He highlights both how to make the best of top attractions, doing it affordably dealing with crowds the least, but also really emphasizes A LOT of places off the beaten path as well.

Personally, I've been to Europe twice (France and Austria mostly, a little in Germany and Italy) and going to the UK this summer for two weeks.

My father, who is retired travels quite a lot.

I would respect Rick Steves' tips and recommendations, but at the end of the day he still is an American, so I obviously wouldn't put his suggestions above natives of the countries obviously.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:59 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I just looked into him when replying to another thread lol 2 days ago what a coincidence! But yeah he seems decent and thorough enough in his work.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,377 times
Ha! Love the Steves. I was born in Italy and have no shortage of relatives to consult when planning a trip to Italy. Also have traveled to and have friends in Portugal and France. In all cases I consulted his TV shows and forums heavily, then ran my itineraries past the locals - not once did they say anything like "don't do that, it's SO touristy and over-rated". And my cousins wouldn't be shy about correcting the ways of a poor immigrant.

I also enjoy his audio tours . . .used them for the Louvre and the Roman Forum (and I was frickin' born in Rome so you can imagine how I would have felt if anyone saw me doing that!) and found they really add a lot to the experience.

Yes he's corny and cheesy - but that's just his personality. And it's downright painful to hear him speak Italian or French. But the man knows his stuff, IMO.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:19 PM

61,724 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I do read and value his advice. He seems to really know what he is talking about. He shares his travel experiences, and while they are somehow subjective, he is seldom wrong.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Anthony Bourdain has a public persona that has been characterized by Gothamist as "culinary bad boy". Because of his liberal use of profanity and sexual references in his television show No Reservations, the network has placed viewer discretion advisories on each segment of each episode.

While Rick Steves does not give bad advice, he seldom ventures off the straight and narrow.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:04 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
We live in California and we love Rick Steves and his programs.
Having said that, I was born in Europe, spent 25 years on the continent, and we just visited there, 40 days in September 2016.

With all respect to the guy, his program is as much a true representation of the real Europe as Disneyland is to the USA.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We live in California and we love Rick Steves and his programs.
Having said that, I was born in Europe, spent 25 years on the continent, and we just visited there, 40 days in September 2016.

With all respect to the guy, his program is as much a true representation of the real Europe as Disneyland is to the USA.
Well, of course. His programs are not meant to be a "day in the life of a native of such a country" its "how to maximize and optimize your stay in Europe".

Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Never heard of him.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
He once said you would have more fun scrubbing your fridge at home than to visit a city as boring as Bordeaux. That makes me laugh every time, particularly when Bordeaux was touted as the number 1 recommended destination by lonely planet last year. I will visit the city to test the validity of such a bold statement.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Never heard of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe