Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why not wait until she is eligible for US citizenship?
Wouldn't she be subject to the US double taxation rule if she was a US citizen? I.e., owes taxes in Germany and the US.

Green card holders are also subject to double taxation, but I think they can discontinue the Green Card status if they don't want to owe the US taxes on their international income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Recruiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Taking German lessons is great, but I doubt if anyone would be fluent enough for a job. But there are American companies who would prefer english speakers. Good luck in your adventure.Germany is in a great spot to explore most of Europe.
Hi evening sun, thanks for the input. My wife is using head hunting services for a cost, and they are finding her the jobs which English, and or Spanish are preferred, mostly international companies. For what it's worth, these are executive positions. She was offered an interview with a company called Wintershall, but the city where the job was did not appeal to us as a family; Kassel I think it was. Her sponsor told her it would be preferrable for her to be in Germany so she could travel to the interview locations within a day's time, so she'll be headed to Munich in May.

BTW, if anyone is in Munich and can suggest an agency to find her short term housing (two months), that would be great.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Yes on taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Wouldn't she be subject to the US double taxation rule if she was a US citizen? I.e., owes taxes in Germany and the US.

Green card holders are also subject to double taxation, but I think they can discontinue the Green Card status if they don't want to owe the US taxes on their international income.
Hello Enigma777; yes, she is still required to file tax returns because she is married to me, even after she gives up/loses her green card. The US has the most archaic tax laws on the planet, and you have to pay and/or file tax returns no matter where in the world you live. To get away, I would have to renounce my citizenship, something I am not willing to do... 'not just yet anyway. Also, because of our finances, I would be slapped in the face on the way out, aka, exit tax.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM

130,306 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Have you been to Germany before? It is a big move to make. The culture is quite different.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Have you been to Germany before? It is a big move to make. The culture is quite different.
Hello, and yes. We've been many times, and I even have a relative, though not German, who has been in Germany for 30+ years. Also an aunt who lives in Bern who has also been there 30+ years, and her husband is from Munich. So we are familiar with the areas, and culture.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 04-09-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 12:40 PM

130,306 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Hello, and yes. We've been many times, and I have and even have a relative, though not German, who has been in Germany for 30+ years. Also an aunt who lives in Bern who has also been there 30+ years, and her husband is from Munich. So we are familiar with the areas, and culture.
Good news.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Hello,

We are making the move! It has been a long plan in the making, and we are ready to make our move.

We live in the US, my wife is a permanent Green Card holder, a Norwegian citizen, though she has never lived in Norway, nor can speak the language. I am a dual citizen, US and Mexico. Our children also are dual citizens, Norway and US. We are all fluent in English and Spanish, both reading and writing.

We have a fewer hurdles than most in regards to moving to Europe due to the Norwegian citizenship. Basically my wife and kids can live, work, or study in Europe, Scandinavia and Switzerland without residence permits, or visas, though they will still need to register, but so does everyone else. As a spouse, I am also entitled to the same benefits.

I am 11 years older than my wife, and we are fortunate that I can retire early at 55, so I will not be seeking employment once I quit my job of 37 years in the US. My wife still wants to work, and we also need to contribute to the healthcare system. Purchasing health insurance outright is also an option, but if we can get it subsidized by the employer as we do in the US, that is the route we'd like to choose.

We have decided to be somewhere central so we can take trips to other countries, and Germany fits that perfectly. I'm sure some will ask 'why not Spain', well, to be honest, there are not many job opportunities in Spain as there are in the northern countries.

My wife will be quitting her job in a couple weeks and do her job searching in Germany as opposed from the US. She'll be free from the kids (and me) for two months to concentrate on the job search, and house hunting. She's an account with an MBA and is fluent in English and Spanish. She'll return towards the end of July, and then the kids and I will join her and go to Germany. I will return as I need to sell all of our belongs, ship some items, and lease out the house. We are not 100% sure we will stay permanently, so to keep our options open, we'll keep the house.

I am fully aware of our tax obligations to the US and filing returns on time, etc. However, I have read on all the horror stories about US citizens being turned away, nor not being able to bank because the European banks don't want to hassle with the US government. They've closed many accounts from US citizens because of the burden of complying with the US laws. I don't blame them.

So, I am wondering if there is any benefit to using my second nationality when "starting new" in Europe? For example, should I use my Mexican passport for opening up bank accounts, internet service, utilities, renting, etc? Should my wife do it all with her Norwegian credentials? Also, are there any pros, or cons on using US credentials, or NOT using US credentials? Should I keep quiet about my US citizenship, or Mexican citizenship?

I am sure those of you reading this will understand these questions, but friends and relatives think these are weird questions to ask. Thank you for any input you may have.
I would recommend you the north of Spain or the Balearic Islands. Much jobs there and low unemployment.

An accountant who has a native level of English in Spain is very appreciated. If is she the only one who will need to work as you will be retired... I would recommend Spain at 100000%

Because:

The language
The price of the life
The health care, safety...
The climate, the quality of life
Schools are of very high grade and they are free and public

And much more things. Germany is pretty expensive if you want to live without working there plus it's a big difference for the kids as of the language plus the change of environment. Those Spanish regions I mentioned before have quite good job opportunities.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:46 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
I would also consider Spain, although the economy is weaker than in many other European countries. The language, climate and people are the greatest advantages.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Default Spain

Re Spain, my wife is from Barcelona originally, and we go there once, sometimes twice a year, and my wife knows the market well. The jobs are far and few between for her profession, but she will always consider offers when she gets them. The problem in Spain is that they have too many people unemployed at this time. Hopefully things will improve there soon.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 AM

75 posts, read 67,846 times
I agree with all that you said but I do not think that the North of Spain has a low unemployment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe