Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

61 posts, read 54,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't have that much experience of Hungarians, but the adjectives "friendly, outgoing, open" are not what I would associate with them.

Why German cities doesn't have much of "old Europe" left can be explained by Bomber Command and the 8th Air Force.
Many of the small towns have it, though.

True about Berlin, all the wannabes seems to prefer it. Though I've heard that it's becoming quite passé.
When I visited Hungary the people treated me nicely, at least the ones I met were lovely people.

Berlin is like a hipster that has matured and it's now starting to look cheesy, I CANNOT STAND being in a city where a good percentage of its population is composed of Anglos (UK, USA, Australians, Canadians) with attitudes that think they're very artistic and chic because they live in Berlin. Add to that (arrogant young French, Italians, Spaniards looking for work because they have a degree in Mediterranean literature so yes, they are intellectuals).

Germans are great at overrating their cities: (things I've been told by Germans when I ask for places to see)
-Frankfurt am Main is like a mini New York City. (Please, Frankfurt it's a boring, plastic, sterile, bank town without nothing to do)

-Cologne is crazy, funky, colorful. (Cologne is an average town, perhaps a bit younger population than average but it's no way funky, cool, happening). Maybe if your idea of happening it's drinking Heifenweissen at a cliche pub and then walking around the Cathedral (the only thing truly interesting in the city)

Another city that is HORRIBLY OVERRATED it's London.
For a city that size London comes short when compared to other giant cities worldwide. Not only that, London is so expensive and pretentious you constantly feel like you have to watch how you spend your money so you don't go bankrupt.

Another thing I noticed about London, it's that you keep waiting for all the excitement that is supposed to happen "Because you're in London" to happen, the thing is.... it never happens! It's just a very average big city full of CCTV cameras.

If you're from some mid-size town in continental Europe, London will amuse you; However if you are a traveler that has seen New York, Paris, Mexico city, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, Bombay, Bangkok and so on. London will be VERY MEEH!

Last edited by yaddana; 04-11-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:42 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,772 times
^ Frankfurt-am-Main is like mini-New York city because it is the only city in Germany that has New-York-like scyscrapers. I've heard them called " the bankers' p*nises".

Come to Hamburg. It is definitely not overrated. We have everything: nature as well as culture.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:15 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
If the OP wants to leave the US, then he probably wants to flee from all the "diversity" and "colorfulness". A small Bavarian town would be perfect in this case. But finding a job would be difficult in such a place, or you have to put up with long commutes to work.
The OP isn't looking for a job. His accountant wife is. It's probably not so hard for an accountant to find a job, don't you think? Everyone needs an accountant.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I am a US citizen and permanent resident of Denmark. It got in when it was easy to get "family re-united" under DK immigration law and later permanent residence. Now, it has gotten much, much harder, here, and pretty much all over the EU member states + Norway and Switzerland.

First of all, you need to find out - if you have not already - how easy it is for YOU to get residence and working permission even in Norway? She and the kids can just waltz into Norway, but you will have to apply for these "goodies" and you need to know now how, when and where (which countries)to apply. If you have a Norwegian embassy/consulate near you, I suggest you make an appointment.

Yes, the EU has the right of free movement for its citizens (and Norway shares this, although not a member), but not necessarily citizens from outside the EU. Moreover, every country has the right to make its own immigration, residence and work rules within a fairly broad framework for EU members. Foreigners are open game. You want to live in Germany, so you had better inquire with them how all of you can get residence and work permission.

If you already know all this, I wish you and your family good luck, sir. My favorite countries to visit are Spain and Italy, and I do so often. But Spain has terribly high unemployment.
I am sorry if I confused people by mingling residence and working permission. In many countries in the EU, they go together. In some countries you can get a retirement visa which gives residence, but not working permission. It varies.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default No work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP isn't looking for a job. His accountant wife is. It's probably not so hard for an accountant to find a job, don't you think? Everyone needs an accountant.
Thanks Ruth4Truth... you are correct, I am going to retire "early", I will be 55. My wife is the one who will be working, I don't plan to, but I could look for work I suppose...

However, I am not kidding myself, I know age discrimination exists everywhere, Europe included. You are protected here in the US from that by law, but I am not so sure all of Europe is. Just recently my wife showed me a job listing that she was alerted to in Linkedin, but she did not catch a detail that I did, and that was that the applicant could not be older than 28 years of age! For someone from the US, that was a bit of a shock, you would never see an ad like that in the US. Even so, it does exist here, it is just done under false pretenses. The job was in Belgium BTW.

Plus, I am not as good looking as my wife! I see that photos attached to CVs is the norm in Europe. Again, as someone from the US, that is also a bit of a shocker and would not fly here. If they take a look at my photo, my CV would go to bin #13!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Thanks Ruth4Truth... you are correct, I am going to retire "early", I will be 55. My wife is the one who will be working, I don't plan to, but I could look for work I suppose...

However, I am not kidding myself, I know age discrimination exists everywhere, Europe included. You are protected here in the US from that by law, but I am not so sure all of Europe is. Just recently my wife showed me a job listing that she was alerted to in Linkedin, but she did not catch a detail that I did, and that was that the applicant could not be older than 28 years of age! For someone from the US, that was a bit of a shock, you would never see an ad like that in the US. Even so, it does exist here, it is just done under false pretenses. The job was in Belgium BTW.

Plus, I am not as good looking as my wife! I see that photos attached to CVs is the norm in Europe. Again, as someone from the US, that is also a bit of a shocker and would not fly here. If they take a look at my photo, my CV would go to bin #13!
There's age discrimination in Europe? At what age to pensions kick in? What are people who are 50+ to do, if they're looking for a job (maybe a business closed and left them out of a job), but can't get hired due to age, but their pension doesn't kick in for another 10 years?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's age discrimination in Europe? At what age to pensions kick in? What are people who are 50+ to do, if they're looking for a job (maybe a business closed and left them out of a job), but can't get hired due to age, but their pension doesn't kick in for another 10 years?
Generally speaking, age discrimination got abolished EU wide with the implementation of the Employment Equality Framework Directive (2000/78/EC) into national law. That said, age discrimination is still a thing in very limited circumstances, which non-lawyers would probably file under "common sense".

Either OP left out some important details of that job description or anyone being rejected for not fulfilling an age requirement for an accounting gig would have been entitled to some substantial damages.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:17 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Wouldn't she be subject to the US double taxation rule if she was a US citizen? I.e., owes taxes in Germany and the US.

Green card holders are also subject to double taxation, but I think they can discontinue the Green Card status if they don't want to owe the US taxes on their international income.
Nobody is a subject to double taxation. This is what tax treaties are for.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 04-12-2017 at 04:43 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
^ Frankfurt-am-Main is like mini-New York city because it is the only city in Germany that has New-York-like scyscrapers. I've heard them called " the bankers' p*nises".

Come to Hamburg. It is definitely not overrated. We have everything: nature as well as culture.
There is not much nature in the Northern Germany. At least, not what I would call "nature".

What nature is in and around Hamburg other than some parks, like Stadtpark? Do you mean, Hamburg is close to the Baltic and the North Sea?

IMO, in Germany, nature is in the South. The North is flat and boring, with ****ty grey weather year around.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 04-12-2017 at 04:43 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Hello,

We are making the move! It has been a long plan in the making, and we are ready to make our move.

We live in the US, my wife is a permanent Green Card holder, a Norwegian citizen, though she has never lived in Norway, nor can speak the language. I am a dual citizen, US and Mexico. Our children also are dual citizens, Norway and US. We are all fluent in English and Spanish, both reading and writing.

We have a fewer hurdles than most in regards to moving to Europe due to the Norwegian citizenship. Basically my wife and kids can live, work, or study in Europe, Scandinavia and Switzerland without residence permits, or visas, though they will still need to register, but so does everyone else. As a spouse, I am also entitled to the same benefits.

I am 11 years older than my wife, and we are fortunate that I can retire early at 55, so I will not be seeking employment once I quit my job of 37 years in the US. My wife still wants to work, and we also need to contribute to the healthcare system. Purchasing health insurance outright is also an option, but if we can get it subsidized by the employer as we do in the US, that is the route we'd like to choose.

We have decided to be somewhere central so we can take trips to other countries, and Germany fits that perfectly. I'm sure some will ask 'why not Spain', well, to be honest, there are not many job opportunities in Spain as there are in the northern countries.

My wife will be quitting her job in a couple weeks and do her job searching in Germany as opposed from the US. She'll be free from the kids (and me) for two months to concentrate on the job search, and house hunting. She's an account with an MBA and is fluent in English and Spanish. She'll return towards the end of July, and then the kids and I will join her and go to Germany. I will return as I need to sell all of our belongs, ship some items, and lease out the house. We are not 100% sure we will stay permanently, so to keep our options open, we'll keep the house.

I am fully aware of our tax obligations to the US and filing returns on time, etc. However, I have read on all the horror stories about US citizens being turned away, nor not being able to bank because the European banks don't want to hassle with the US government. They've closed many accounts from US citizens because of the burden of complying with the US laws. I don't blame them.

So, I am wondering if there is any benefit to using my second nationality when "starting new" in Europe? For example, should I use my Mexican passport for opening up bank accounts, internet service, utilities, renting, etc? Should my wife do it all with her Norwegian credentials? Also, are there any pros, or cons on using US credentials, or NOT using US credentials? Should I keep quiet about my US citizenship, or Mexican citizenship?

I am sure those of you reading this will understand these questions, but friends and relatives think these are weird questions to ask. Thank you for any input you may have.
Regarding opening banking accounts: You and your wife cannot hide the fact that you are US persons.

No point in using your Mexican passport if you have the US one. And even if your wife is not a US citizen yet, she will be considered a US person just because she has had a US Green Card.

For most Americans, though, the procedure of opening a banking account should be quite the same as for people of other nationalities. When opening a banking account, a German bank will fill out a form stating that you are a US person, will ask for the SS number and attach the info to your file.

European banks lost their independence. They are now forced to report to the IRS when a US person opens an account with them. How the heck did it come to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe