Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 PM

102,281 posts, read 108,356,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
like where ?

come down here and you'll find it colourful and lively, but you'll be greated with danger at every corner when you ride a bike, **** air quality, near complete lack of natural areas nearby (or the difficulty to access them), difficulty to find a steady job, beaches you have to pay for, etc

Sure our food is amazing and there are dozens to hundreds of places to hang out socially at night, but i'd like it to be easier sometimes.

I'm happy to live here, but on some aspects I felt more at home in Munich than here.
Berlin? Not my cup of tea, but it definitely has a "diverse, colorful, fun" aspect to it. Personally, I'd prefer Munich. But more than Munich, I'd prefer the smaller Bavarian towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,757,187 times
I am a US citizen and permanent resident of Denmark. It got in when it was easy to get "family re-united" under DK immigration law and later permanent residence. Now, it has gotten much, much harder, here, and pretty much all over the EU member states + Norway and Switzerland.

First of all, you need to find out - if you have not already - how easy it is for YOU to get residence and working permission even in Norway? She and the kids can just waltz into Norway, but you will have to apply for these "goodies" and you need to know now how, when and where (which countries)to apply. If you have a Norwegian embassy/consulate near you, I suggest you make an appointment.

Yes, the EU has the right of free movement for its citizens (and Norway shares this, although not a member), but not necessarily citizens from outside the EU. Moreover, every country has the right to make its own immigration, residence and work rules within a fairly broad framework for EU members. Foreigners are open game. You want to live in Germany, so you had better inquire with them how all of you can get residence and work permission.

If you already know all this, I wish you and your family good luck, sir. My favorite countries to visit are Spain and Italy, and I do so often. But Spain has terribly high unemployment.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,318,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Berlin? Not my cup of tea, but it definitely has a "diverse, colorful, fun" aspect to it. Personally, I'd prefer Munich. But more than Munich, I'd prefer the smaller Bavarian towns.
I am a city guy mostly, but I also enjoyed Munich for the proximity of nature and the Alps. Growing up west of the Alps, I feel I need not to live too far from them. Here it is just too flat and the appennines just do not cut it.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 AM

61 posts, read 54,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
like where ?

come down here and you'll find it colourful and lively, but you'll be greated with danger at every corner when you ride a bike, **** air quality, near complete lack of natural areas nearby (or the difficulty to access them), difficulty to find a steady job, beaches you have to pay for, etc

Sure our food is amazing and there are dozens to hundreds of places to hang out socially at night, but i'd like it to be easier sometimes.

I'm happy to live here, but on some aspects I felt more at home in Munich than here.
Most cities in Italy > Most cities in Germany

Sure in Italy you have chaos, noise, and so on.... but you have LIFE, SUN, STYLE, COLOR!

German cities are A giant recollection of impersonal 1950's built Bauhaus, cold stoic people that take a long time to get to know, and rather crappy weather.

If I was to live in Europe it would have to be probably Spain, South of France, Italy, or somewhere like Budapest.

Sorry but no Germanic/Anglo/Nordic Europe for me.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,879,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddana View Post
Most cities in Italy > Most cities in Germany

Sure in Italy you have chaos, noise, and so on.... but you have LIFE, SUN, STYLE, COLOR!

German cities are A giant recollection of impersonal 1950's built Bauhaus, cold stoic people that take a long time to get to know, and rather crappy weather.

If I was to live in Europe it would have to be probably Spain, South of France, Italy, or somewhere like Budapest.

Sorry but no Germanic/Anglo/Nordic Europe for me.

Right. So even more crappy impersonal 60's commieblocks and equally cold stoic people are one of your picks.

To compare: I couldn't live in Ciudad Juárez due to awful crime, so for that reason I pick San Pedro Sula.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:48 AM

1,248 posts, read 827,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Taking German lessons is great, but I doubt if anyone would be fluent enough for a job. But there are American companies who would prefer english speakers. Good luck in your adventure.Germany is in a great spot to explore most of Europe.
That is nonsense. Of course one can be fluent enough for a job! Maybe 9 months is a little too tight, but on the other hand, if the OP and his wife concentrate on the professional vocabulary that is needed for their specific jobs, that is possible.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM

61 posts, read 54,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Right. So even more crappy impersonal 60's commieblocks and equally cold stoic people are one of your picks.

To compare: I couldn't live in Ciudad Juárez due to awful crime, so for that reason I pick San Pedro Sula.
I don't know anything about Ciudad Juarez.... I think it's one of those awful desert border towns. (Like Tijuana MX, Phoenix USA). Not my cup of tea either.

Budapest is cool, it's cheap, and technicolor.... with bathhouses, modern, yet commie looking, but you can also find old Europe. The city is also artsy without being obnoxious which is exactly what Germans can't do with their cities.

I mean Berlin has to be the most obnoxious wannabe place on the planet.

Berlin: Did everyone notice how cool and artsy I am? Come to Berlin because it's just so artistic!!! Hey did y'all notice I am Berlin and I am really artistic?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 827,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the OP wants to leave the US, then he probably wants to flee from all the "diversity" and "colorfulness". A small Bavarian town would be perfect in this case. But finding a job would be difficult in such a place, or you have to put up with long commutes to work.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,879,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddana View Post
I don't know anything about Ciudad Juarez.... I think it's one of those awful desert border towns. (Like Tijuana MX, Phoenix USA). Not my cup of tea either.

Budapest is cool, it's cheap, and technicolor.... with bathhouses, modern, yet commie looking, but you can also find old Europe. The city is also artsy without being obnoxious which is exactly what Germans can't do with their cities.

I mean Berlin has to be the most obnoxious wannabe place on the planet.

Berlin: Did everyone notice how cool and artsy I am? Come to Berlin because it's just so artistic!!! Hey did y'all notice I am Berlin and I am really artistic?

I don't have that much experience of Hungarians, but the adjectives "friendly, outgoing, open" are not what I would associate with them.

Why German cities doesn't have much of "old Europe" left can be explained by Bomber Command and the 8th Air Force.
Many of the small towns have it, though.

True about Berlin, all the wannabes seems to prefer it. Though I've heard that it's becoming quite passé.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,311,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
<<<why would I want to have the US government minding my private business considering I am not even in the US?>>>

Because you still are a subject of the USA.

What *you* think, may be private, but you know darn well, that almost nothing is private anymore in the USA. Do not like it ? Give up your USA citizenship ! Plain and simple . Nobody in the USA would mourn over your decision !
So ... , as long as you want to retain your USA citizenship, you HAVE to adhere to the laws everybody else as a USA citizen is subject to.

I suggest you set up a meeting with a tax Consultant who is familiar with international Tax Laws.
There are certain tax agreements between the USA and Germany for instance that I well aware of.
So find out for yourself.
You still have to pay an 'exit' tax to renounce your citizenship in order to get out of paying US taxes (includes Green Card holders).

"....it’s not easy for expats to disentangle themselves from the IRS. Renouncing your American citizenship isn’t simply a matter of burning your passport. Uncle Sam makes the process both difficult – and pricey. When you give up your citizenship, you’re required to pay an “exit tax” based on what you would owe the government if you liquidated all your investments today...."

Why Americans Working Abroad Are Ditching Their U.S. Citizenships | TIME.com

Expatriates Must Pay Heavy Costs in Taxes | TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe