Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM

35,060 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't Trump's vision came from an optimistic view of "one country"; a lot of his speeches were fearmongering and "this country is falling apart! Scary people are coming in! I alone can fix it!" He rarely said anything positive about America, which is unusual for a presidential candidate, especially a Republican. I thought his inaugural speech was so over the top I couldn't finish it. Obviously some of those who voted for Trump saw something else; but I didn't get that feeling. I guess "Make America Great Again" was optimistic? LePen did sound rather dark, but I haven't followed her carefully.

France's democratic tradition isn't as deep as Britain and US but it's longer than any other large continental European country. It's less classical liberal than the Anglo countries:

and has a longer anti-democratic tradition:

Liberté égalité fraternité

or

Travail, famille, patrie
There was "make America great again" which isn't so dark. As far as France's democratic tradition the rhetoric is all there. But when it's accomplished by whacking off lots of heads it doesn't lead to a stable democracy. Remember there were no deaths in the Glorious Revolution, and lots of deaths in the French Revolution. The U.S. Constitutional Convention was also not particularly violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There was "make America great again" which isn't so dark. As far as France's democratic tradition the rhetoric is all there. But when it's accomplished by whacking off lots of heads it doesn't lead to a stable democracy. Remember there were no deaths in the Glorious Revolution, and lots of deaths in the French Revolution. The U.S. Constitutional Convention was also not particularly violent.

The US rebels would've beheaded the King of England if they would have had the chance.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 AM

820 posts, read 953,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am surprised at the French ending up with Macron, a man who wants to erode workers rights, cut welfare and increase the age of retirement.

Knowing how quickly the French take to the streets to defend their rights, he might not end up being that popular.

Then again the only other choice was the Far Right, so there wasn't exactly a lot of choice.
Did you read Macron's program? Not.

You are like people on strike in the streets, you don't understand economics.

He wants to improve workers rights:

1) 3 or 4% less to pay in social contributions for all workers financed thanks to a global tax (1,7%). Retirees are going to pay for people at work. It is an excellent idea because the marginal propensity to consume is very low for retirees.

2) You can claim high unemployment benefits (60% of your gross income without taxes) if you choose to resign. You don't need to be fired. Then it means you can take more risks for better job opportunities. And it is going to be excellent for companies. No more conflicts between workers and companies. It will decongest courts too! Such a great idea!

3) Increase the age of retirement? Are you for real? He wants to give you the choice, between 60 and 65. Your public pension will be calculated regarding your contributions. If you contribute since the age of 19, you can retire at 60 .
In France we contribute 380 billion euros a year for public pensions from our gross income. It is why people think taxes are high and incomes are lower than in the USA but it is for public pensions. We don't put money on private funds from our net income. We don't need to.

Last edited by amaroW; 05-08-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Macron is very much a second VGE. I hope that he will not turn into a second Sarko. Once is plenty, imo.
It could be worst, we could have ended up with a fascist.
He truly is the luckiest man at the moment . Good because he is going to need all the luck in the world to unify France.
I will be rooting for him.
PS: How about raising saving interest rate? ;-)
Fascist???? People need to stop using this word

Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post

Isn't that what your Russian masters want to use?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM

779 posts, read 595,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Isn't that what your Russian masters want to use?
As far as I'm aware George Soros is not Russian.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
As far as I'm aware George Soros is not Russian.
Ariete ain't no coming back after that

Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 21 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Did you read Macron's program? Not.

You are like people on strike in the streets, you don't understand economics.

He wants to improve workers rights:

1) 3 or 4% less to pay in social contributions for all workers financed thanks to a global tax (1,7%). Retirees are going to pay for people at work. It is an excellent idea because the marginal propensity to consume is very low for retirees.

2) You can claim high unemployment benefits (60% of your gross income without taxes) if you choose to resign. You don't need to be fired. Then it means you can take more risks for better job opportunities. And it is going to be excellent for companies. No more conflicts between workers and companies. It will decongest courts too! Such a great idea!

3) Increase the age of retirement? Are you for real? He wants to give you the choice, between 60 and 65. Your public pension will be calculated regarding your contributions. If you contribute since the age of 19, you can retire at 60 .
In France we contribute 380 billion euros a year for public pensions from our gross income. It is why people think taxes are high and incomes are lower than in the USA but it is for public pensions. We don't put money on private funds from our net income. We don't need to.
I am sure he will be wonderful amaroW, although I can say I am particuarly excited by his election.

To be honest no one knows exactly what he stands for, or if he will manage to form a major political party.

60 billion Euro spending cuts, so some austerity, coupled with some tax cuts, coupled with 10,000 extra police and an increase in defence spending to 2% by 2025, and a new 5,000 strong EU Border Force. Although he will not radically change Ftamce's policy in terms of migrants or the EU, in fact he wants closer intergration. So good Luck with that.

Emmanuel Macron unveils plans to slash taxes and public sector jobs - Telegragh

Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 AM

820 posts, read 953,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure he will be wonderful amaroW, although I can say I am particuarly excited by his election.

To be honest no one knows exactly what he stands for, or if he will manage to form a major political party.

60 billion Euro spending cuts, so some austerity, coupled with some tax cuts, coupled with 10,000 extra police and an increase in defence spending to 2% by 2025, and a new 5,000 strong EU Border Force. Although he will not radically change Ftamce's policy in terms of migrants or the EU, in fact he wants closer intergration. So good Luck with that.

Emmanuel Macron unveils plans to slash taxes and public sector jobs - Telegragh
The most important reform is not even in the Telegraph! Media forgot most of his economic program. It is incredible....
It's my point 1!

"1) 3 or 4 points less to pay in social contributions for all workers financed thanks to a global tax (1,7%). Retirees are going to pay for people at work. It is an excellent idea because the marginal propensity to consume is very low for retirees."

Old 05-08-2017, 05:55 PM

384 posts, read 434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Not when it described the candidate to a tee.
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/arti...98_823448.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe