Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:31 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,392,176 times

Advertisements

I love Spain and i love Barcelona but what's the deal with Catalonia. Why do Catalans feel superior to the rest of Spain and even Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,693,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I love Spain and i love Barcelona but what's the deal with Catalonia. Why do Catalans feel superior to the rest of Spain and even Europe?
How many threads did you open the last 4 weeks lol?
People don't need always rational argument to claim independence...
Look at Corsica that sucks 500 million euros (ie, for their public services, infrastructures, they are negative of half a billion) each year from the continental France, and they elected a dude openly against 'France' (ie, continental France)
I guess Catalans have an encyclopedia of reasons 'to leave ', Google can help

Old 06-03-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
How many threads did you open the last 4 weeks lol?
People don't need always rational argument to claim independence...
Look at Corsica that sucks 500 million euros (ie, for their public services, infrastructures, they are negative of half a billion) each year from the continental France, and they elected a dude openly against 'France' (ie, continental France)
I guess Catalans have an encyclopedia of reasons 'to leave ', Google can help
A bit too much time in my hands . I've heard over and over again arguments why they want to be independent but i call it bullcrap. I think they get more being part of Spain than not being part of it, plus i am not sure about their arrogance towards other countries.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:57 AM

345 posts, read 270,206 times
Catalans are a scant minority - rightist-center rightist-petit bourgeoisie-professionals-center-left.
85 percent are people from Spain and their offsprings, mostly leftists.
Catalans - still in power economically but not in great state companies- need some sort of excuse, some wild chimera, to govern and attract the votes of non-Catalans, even at the price of making pacts with communists and ultracommunists squatters which are hated.
Independence is a long cherished dream, but dreams are dreams, as Calderon de la Barca wrote (plagiariased by Shakespeare).
In fact, Spanish would win the elections if it was not by the Law of Ohms, by which the vote from the rural areas (catalans) weights two or three times more than the vote of Spanish living in large cities,
Arrogance? it's all part of the pseudonationalistic agenda.
Madrid is far more arrogant and they have'nt sold abroom by themselves in 400 years.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:07 AM

345 posts, read 270,206 times
It's just part of a Catalan game named "la Pu.ta i la Ramoneta".

Personally, I'd rather have Castilians administering money..not that they are efficient or less prone to corruption, but they are less similar to our Sicilian brothers (which were part of this kingdom and very similar when it comes to public money).

Catalans are good for private companies, working for the family..but due to lack of tradition, also for many Spanish - it's difficult to separate public from family money.

Catalan lost his constitution, parliament and language in 1715 -not playing victimism, it was natural at those times eliminate constitutions and parliaments -considered medieval - for absolutist monarchies - Borbons. Since then, Catalan never had a say in local government so for many, any public money should go -if allowed-to la butxaca or pocket.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 AM

278 posts, read 231,935 times
Survivinhearth.-

The phenomenon of the appearance of the bourgeoisie with the industrial revolution in the XIX Century
in Spain was located first in Catalonia alongside the french border for its good communications .Creating some first textile companies there which constantly encouraged the peasant population of regions.
like Castile before the main one by its production of wheat to emigrate to Catalonia that of exponentially
increased its population.-

The Catalan politicians demanded to close the borders to the textile french and English and breeding a monopoly that enriched them .
A enriched bourgeoise in a country in this Century of peasants was swelled of pride and tendio to the contempt to is compatrios at a time when nationalism triumphed in Europe and that in Spain is located
in Catalonia as a regional thing.-

This phenomenon did not exceed the 20% of the habitants but the spanish poiticians after of Franco they giving them an autonomy to Catalonia with the monopoly of education and the separatist created a mass of TV and dedicated radios etc , to a separatist propaganda with a story invented, and to forbid the spanish language in teaching and where they could .-

The politicians of Madrid stupidly would want satisfy them at all costs to the separatist and they give away more industries and more money.And now these maddened by separatist people forget that they are massively originating from others regions of Spain.

This phenomenon of pride irrational national madness invented by Goebbels was already knew in Germany and Italy the only new Thing is that is in a region.-

Old 06-04-2017, 06:26 AM

210 posts, read 201,157 times
I don't think Catalonia is just "complicated", nor "arrogant". Those sound like comments an outsider with no horse on the race would make. Independence movements has been around for centuries in Catalonia. Spain has been struggling with 3 independent movements Catalonia, Basque Country and Galicia. It only shows that Spain isn't a nation but a dominion of Castile over neighboring countries who kept their identity in spite of hispanization policies.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:07 AM

595 posts, read 721,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Those sound like comments an outsider with no horse on the race would make.
I think it's quite ironic coming from you because just after that sentence you make such an ignorant comment that only an outsider with no idea would make.

Quote:
Spain has been struggling with 3 independent movements Catalonia, Basque Country and Galicia. It only shows that Spain isn't a nation but a dominion of Castile over neighboring countries who kept their identity in spite of hispanization policies.

Last edited by victus; 06-04-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 AM

210 posts, read 201,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
I think it's quite ironic coming from you because just after that sentence you make such an ignorant comment that only an outsider with no idea would make.
Considering independence to be good or bad, legit or not, is a matter for those who are concerned. Now the fact that half the country wants to part ways with Madrid is not an opinion but a verifiable claim. If it weren't true, there would not be multiple parties pushing for independence.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I don't think Catalonia is just "complicated", nor "arrogant". Those sound like comments an outsider with no horse on the race would make. Independence movements has been around for centuries in Catalonia. Spain has been struggling with 3 independent movements Catalonia, Basque Country and Galicia. It only shows that Spain isn't a nation but a dominion of Castile over neighboring countries who kept their identity in spite of hispanization policies.
I know it quite well, and for the most part they have all the same speech, Barcelona is the God's gift to Spain and the Spanish cities pales in comparison to how progressive and cool Barcelona is. Valencia, Madrid, Malaga etc etc are all second cities according to Catalans. That has been my personal experience. While living in Cannes i got tired of hearing, Cannes, Nice, cote d'azur is nice but have you been to Barcelona...give me a break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe