Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Istria is also great for touring around. I did that the second time i was there. Lots of little pensions with room for rent at low prices. No need to book anything. Just hit the road, stop where it looks nice, take a room and you're set for the night. Next day, or whenever you feel like it, hit the road again and up to the next beautiful place
The interior of Istria is nice. The seacoast towns bore me. I enjoy going back to Zagreb to see how the development of the old town is going. This is the nicest part of Zagreb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:32 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The interior of Istria is nice. The seacoast towns bore me. I enjoy going back to Zagreb to see how the development of the old town is going. This is the nicest part of Zagreb.
Yeah the interior is nice, but small. You cross it in about an hour or so. I also get bored in a few days, that's why you got to keep moving but i have that everywhere.
I was in Zagreb once but didn't like it too much. But that was in the city center with all the big malls and so. Not sure if that was right place to be.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:18 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
I feel almost bound to see Zagreb since it is the capitol and the point of arrival for me. Don't plan on staying long but will head to the coast. I love coastal scenery.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM

51 posts, read 32,281 times
Istria, dalmatian Coast, Hvar, Brac, Korcula, Plitvice National Park and Dubrovnik out of season.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I am planning a trip next spring or summer to Croatia and looking for must-see places. I am going to stay on the coast (maybe a day or two in Zagreb, though) and already have decided to see Dubrovnik and Split.
What appeals to me most are vibrant picturesque towns with history, and island and coastal scenery. But my emphasis is on towns.
What are the other must-see destinations are there? So many places look inviting when i see pictures of them.
We just got back, we liked Zagreb. The 'green horseshoe' (a string of parks interspersed with Austrian-era buildings) is worth a stroll, Tkalčićeva street and Gradec are also nice. Had superb food at Mundoaka.

Plitvice Lakes are amazing but if you are going anytime near shoulder or high season, do yourself a favor and get there as soon as the park opens (7 AM in the summer). People talk about Dubrovnik being crowded but it's nothing compared to Plitvice from maybe 10:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Same thing with Krka, which gets less visitors but has a smaller main area. In midday you will not only wait in line to get on site, but will walk at a super slow pace onsite especially around the nicer spots, and not having 50 other people on your pictures will be a big challenge. That's without mentioning the idiots who go against park rules and go in the water at forbidden spots and pose for 4 minutes as their friend takes 25 shots of said idiot while blocking the whole trail.

The highlights of our trip: Dubrovnik city walls at 6-7 PM, the city of Kotor around the same time, the Bay of Kotor early in the morning, Perast, Mostar (even though crowded in midday), the view from Gračanica monastery in Trebinje (Bosnia), Korčula island especially Lumbarda, Split food (best dinner of our trip at Bokeria), Sibenik at night, a beautiful but completely empty route 8 from Maslenica Most to Karlobag, and the less crowded beaches and amazing water colors on Murter Island (rarely ever mentioned in guidebooks). We were less impressed by Zadar (mishmash Old Town is better in Split and tries way too hard to be a modern Western city outside the old walls) and Trogir. Didn't go to Istria or Slavonia or Kornati, that's for another trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe