Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM

20 posts, read 61,440 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to any country of former Yugoslavia in earlier times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
My husband visited Dubrovnik way back in 1977.
He loved it.
We visited coastal Croatia and Montenegro in 2006, and thought they were beautiful. I would like to return and visit Serbia and Slovenia.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I visited Slovenia and Croatia as a teen in 1970.
And I testify that people were happy in these regions back then, before these stupid and bloody internecine wars.
Now they are "independent". Big deal. As member states of the former Yugoslavia, they had a good deal of self government already.
And now all these politicians are crowing about "building Europe". Oh yes. Tell me how one creates an unified contient in establishing new borders, it's a contradiction.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I've been to Slovenia, a tiny country that was formerly part of Yugoslavia. Most of the countries that were formerly part of Yugoslavia are small. And now each has to support it's own national government and bureaucracy, which doesn't make sense. Kosovo is the latest one, so tiny that I don't know how they can sustain the place without the organized crime gangs that are run from there. I agree with pigeonhole, I think they would all have been better off if they has simply learned to tolerate each other even though they might not have liked each other, and kept the collection of semi-autonomous states within the old Yugoslavia. All those years of war were such a waste.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 AM

291 posts, read 831,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I visited Slovenia and Croatia as a teen in 1970.
And I testify that people were happy in these regions back then, before these stupid and bloody internecine wars.
Now they are "independent". Big deal. As member states of the former Yugoslavia, they had a good deal of self government already.
And now all these politicians are crowing about "building Europe". Oh yes. Tell me how one creates an unified contient in establishing new borders, it's a contradiction.
Just my 2 cents.

Happy? Tell it to my uncle who was imprisoned for being Croatian "nationalist" (he was in student movement), or my grandpa who was executed by Yugo commies.

Please don’t say such things, it deeply disrespect the victims of Yugoslavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've been to Slovenia, a tiny country that was formerly part of Yugoslavia. Most of the countries that were formerly part of Yugoslavia are small. And now each has to support it's own national government and bureaucracy, which doesn't make sense. Kosovo is the latest one, so tiny that I don't know how they can sustain the place without the organized crime gangs that are run from there. I agree with pigeonhole, I think they would all have been better off if they has simply learned to tolerate each other even though they might not have liked each other, and kept the collection of semi-autonomous states within the old Yugoslavia. All those years of war were such a waste.
Being small - so what? As for bureaucracy, we pay for it so it’s noone else’s problem. It’s not all about money, you know, not sure you get the concept of freedom.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Happy? Tell it to my uncle who was imprisoned for being Croatian "nationalist" (he was in student movement), or my grandpa who was executed by Yugo commies.

Please don’t say such things, it deeply disrespect the victims of Yugoslavia.

Being small - so what? As for bureaucracy, we pay for it so it’s noone else’s problem. It’s not all about money, you know, not sure you get the concept of freedom.

What I can't understand is how can one bomb a country in the name of freedom (that's what the NATO did to Serbia -then part of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia-in 1999), and as for the "Yugo Commies", the West was happy to back them against the Soviet Union in the 50's and 60's-Yugoslavia was then a useful maverick.....

Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM

291 posts, read 831,817 times
Why did you bomb Germany, or Japan?

The West was more than happy with Saddam, and is for example happy with the current Saudi ruler - the point is it doesn’t mean the regime the West supports is necessarily a good one.

Also, I really don't care about the West and their sweethearts - Croatia wanted freedom and democracy and that's what we fought for.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is what I know about Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, and Montenegro . Slovenia's capital is Ljublijana. It borders Austria and Italy. It has the Lipizzaner horses in Lipica. It only looks like a landlocked nation, but Koper is on the Adriatic coast of Slovenia(a small sliver of it). Slovenia had the most peaceful time in the breakup of Yugoslavia.
Croatia's capital is Zagreb. In Croatian it is called Hrvatska. There are many islands that are part of Croatia on the Adriatic. Maraschino cherries are grown in Croatia. Dubrovnik and Split are on the Adriatic coast and so it Kotor. Nikola Tesla is from Croatia.
Bosnia was once part of Serbia. It's capital is Sarajevo. It is majority Muslim. Sarajevo was home to the 1984 Winter Olympics. There was a major siege in Sarajevo.
Serbia's capital is Belgrade(Beograd in Srpski). It is the largest of the former Yugoslav states. The Yugo was made in Kragujevac,Serbia. Other cities in Serbia are Novi Sad, and Pec.
Montenegro is called Crna Gora. It's capital is Podgorica. It was formerly called Titograd. It is on the Adriatic coast and has a subtropical climate.
Other republics:Macedonia and Kosovo.
Macedonia's capital is Skopje. A major earthquake occured there in the 1960's. There is a region in Greece known by the same name.
Kosovo got it's independence recently. It's capital is Pristina.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Kosovo got it's independence recently. It's capital is Pristina.

About Kosovo : the North of Kosovo (K Mitrovica) and small enclaves (small villages and orthodox monasteries mainly ) are still Serbian and are protected from the kosovars (Kosovo Albanians, officially independent since 2008 BUT not recognized by UNO) by the KFOR force. The Serbian government tries to maintain public services (schooling, a hospital, electricity) in these ghettos.For how long?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM

69 posts, read 335,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Why did you bomb Germany, or Japan?
Because that was the quickest way to end WWII? Are you actually comparing Serbs to Nazi Germans and their allies?!

Quote:
Also, I really don't care about the West and their sweethearts - Croatia wanted freedom and democracy and that's what we fought for.
Actually, your country was one of those sweethearts back in the 90's. Croatian separatism would never succeed had not been supported by Western nations, especially Germany.
Franjo Tudjman & Co. don't rhyme well with freedom and democracy in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe