Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
two or three days in dublin is too long IMO but its not too long to spend in ireland or even the east coast of ireland
Why do you say that 2-3 days is too long in Dublin?

I could do a day in Dublin and 2 days somewhere else in Ireland...I'm open to that.

Just to be clear:

Dublin is definitely on the list now
Portugal is definitely on the list

So I am just trying to decide on a third place in between Dublin and Portugal to spend 2-3 days (likely 2)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That would be my choice.
I've heard of Lyon...I will check into this.

I wonder what the flight prices are like....

Old 08-21-2017, 06:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've heard of Lyon...I will check into this.

I wonder what the flight prices are like....
I haven't been in a few years but it's a great city. Lovely architecture, a large renaissance district, roman ruins, and beautiful parks.

Not too mention fantastic restaurants.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 10,986 times
9-10 days in Lisbon and Porto are an exaggeration! What do you want to do all of those days? You can see well each city in 2 days, at most spend 3 in Lisbon, but if you plan to visit nearby places. Lisbon itself can be seen in 2 days.

Lyon, Amsterdam or Stockholm are nice places as mentioned by other users too. Copenhague is also marvelous, you can go to Copenhague and then to Stockholm by train, both cities are marvelous. Barcelona, Madrid, Milano, Rome and Prague are very nice too. Oh, and Athens, Budapest, Ljubljana... Europe is full of marvelous places.Y

Have you heard about the Interrail? You can go to anywhere in Europe by train if you book an Interrail pass. I've done this starting in Lisbon, after Lisbon I went to Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Lyon, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Copenhague, Stockholm and Oslo. I paid like just 350€ and i spended 3 entire weeks on my whole trip.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Amsterdam was never on my list for some reason...

...would you personally pick Amsterdam over Berlin? And if so, why?
I've never been to Berlin (actually am going in December over New years) but have been to Amsterdam half a dozen times.. My favorite city by far!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I've never been to Berlin (actually am going in December over New years) but have been to Amsterdam half a dozen times.. My favorite city by far!
Please tell me what it is you like about Amsterdam.

I know this will probably sound really superficial to some, but whenever I pull up pictures of Amsterdam I don't get inspired to visit there...

Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Its a very walkable city with amazing public transportation.

It's a very low key, tolerant city. I believe they have more nationalities living in Amsterdam than any other city (something like 180).

The town itself is gorgeous.

The airport is amazing and its a great jumping off point to anywhere.. Same with the train station.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygentlemenn View Post
First of all: avoid France. Especially cities such as Paris and Marseille. Check out the news.....

Berlin is one of my favorite cities. The WW2 history, free museums/parks and alternative culture in a country extremely organization and rules based is a mind trip

But a question. For non-Europeans: what is the attraction of visiting multicultural cities in Europe? Wouldn't you prefer to experience authentic Europa?
Well then avoid Germany too, "Check out the news......". Spain too. UK too.
He can still go to Netherlands and Italy! By time might be counted in Roma or Amsterdam :] carefull...

Paris frequentation is hiting a 10years high, tourists vote with their feet not with medias.
Anyway, I maintain Lyon or Bordeaux that are very interesting and full of good food, two "week end cities". Amsterdam has a great reputation too might be an excellent target, maybe the best.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygentlemenn View Post
"Tourist vote"

Do the blocks of africans laying on mattresses also count? Alright, have fun. I rather not spend my money or help fund areas where military are needed to patrol with assault rifles. While the left groups rioted blowing up cars (basic insurance in Europe many times does not cover these sort of "Accidents"), nearby the politicians at the G20 summit were debating climate change!
An other CD member scared of his shadow. No, you are just scared because surrounded by medias and their dramas (well that's how they live after all), that make you feel unsafe. Welcome in 2017 where infos are all around and come in few seconds H24.
Make a test. 2/3 weeks without reading infos or just a normal newspaper. The change is ... incredible.

Else you would not even drive a car or cross a road, because someone can kill you there too (people are somehow not scared to die if it's not ISIS, even if they are killed by someone else, as long as he has no beard it's not scary).
560 pedestrians killed unvolontarly in France in 2016, (not counting the terrorist attacks in Nice ofc!), french roads where cleaned of the blood of 3500 people in 2016, including 100 between 0-14yo which are, we agree, most of the time young children driving drunk coming back from the strip club (specially around 6-7 yo, age of rebellion)... I doubt that the NY times wrote something about it, because it's uterly boring and doesn't increase views/ number of paper they sell.

Ah I can throw 1000 lines of stats' it's useless . Ofc It can be extended to countries even more safe like UK or Spain.

Poor Paris... I didn't know that visiting Paris means go to Porte de la Chapelle around the refugees center (that's where your matresses are). Lol that's an idea but usually more classified as "dark-tourism". At least you could ask people around and measure the bias of medias. But why am I even saying this lol.

Oh and, Paris =/= France.

OP, if you can afford I would rank:
Amsterdam
Lyon
Bordeaux (if you like wine it's a great place)

Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Biarritz is worth visiting.

36 Hours in Biarritz - The New York Times

Biarritz Tourism – Things to do in Biarritz - Eusko Guide

Biarritz - Lonely Planet

Things to do in Biarritz, France (Condé Nast Traveller)

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-23-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe