Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 AM

1,529 posts, read 915,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't get it?
Of course you don't get it. Get a book on football rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't get it?
The object of gridiron football, like football (soccer), is to advance the ball past your defending opponents to a goal.

The offensive player (the one holding the ball) tricked the defending team into letting him walk right past their defensive line by defying their expectations of normal play through his nonchalance.

Frankly, this tactic would only work in amateur play (and while funny, kind of lame). Professional level teams use line formations and running patterns to distribute the players on the field strategically to physically position themselves to advance the ball through a combination of forward passing and running (with the ball in hand, or kicking the ball between the goal posts.

These formations are in the hundreds and teams have highly guarded books of these plays that they use strategically in reaction to the coaches predictions of how the opposition will position their teams.

It is this complexity of strategy that results in the very 'stop-and-go' rhythm of gridiron football. I admit it is an acquired taste. One I, myself, have only the barest appreciation for. But the more one understands the nuance of what is happening on the field, the more one can enjoy watching the game.

Here is a sample of football play diagrams

source:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/52...baa6790d07.jpg

Last edited by ABQConvict; 08-18-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3RWKyUouQ

You don't see things like that in football.
The ultimate trick play.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The object of gridiron football, like football (soccer), is to advance the ball past your defending opponents to a goal.

The offensive player (the one holding the ball) tricked the defending team into letting him walk right past their defensive line by defying their expectations of normal play through his nonchalance.

Frankly, this tactic would only work in amateur play (and while funny, kind of lame). Professional level teams use line formations and running patterns to distribute the players on the field strategically to physically position themselves to advance the ball through a combination of forward passing and running (with the ball in hand, or kicking the ball between the goal posts.

These formations are in the hundreds and teams have highly guarded books of these plays that they use strategically in reaction to the coaches predictions of how the opposition will position their teams.

It is this complexity of strategy that results in the very 'stop-and-go' rhythm of gridiron football. I admit it is an acquired taste. One I, myself, have only the barest appreciation for. But the more one understands the nuance of what is happening on the field, the more one can enjoy watching the game.

Here is a sample of football play diagrams

source:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/52...baa6790d07.jpg
I understand ABQConvict, but the fact remains that there is very little action during an NFL game. Plus having a defensive team and an offensive team is totally alien to people who watch Rugby and Soccer.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I understand ABQConvict, but the fact remains that there is very little action during an NFL game. Plus having a defensive team and an offensive team is totally alien to people who watch Rugby and Soccer.
Oh, I won' deny the lack of action. My post was just to shed light on the reason for the meter of play.

As for the second part, it is a matter of semantics.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:18 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
What is also amazing is that an NFL team only play 16 regular games per season!
It is a very physically demanding sport, and very hard on your body. I played in high school, and I was always getting hurt IN PRACTICE. Back then, we would wear full pads, and hit like our lives depended on it even in practice, or the coaches would yell at, and demean us. I tired of always being dinged up, so I just played Lacrosse exclusively, and had a much better career/experience.

Many Americans don't like all the interruptions, and are complaining a lot, or turning to off. Too many penalties, and too many commercials.

For me Soccer (football) is like watching paint dry.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 AM

827 posts, read 630,725 times
In france a trend start around the superbowl around 10 years ago, and people start to watch it. Concert at half time play a role in it. The game is not really play.

It seems american football is play in germany, probably because it's not a country who play rugby.

Except british with cricket, europeans are mostly use to sport without break every 20 seconds (like soccer, hockey, rugby, handball). It's pretty strange and boring for me to watch a game who twice in a minute to show a commercial.
I think it's a big reason that the game won'tgrow so much in europe.
There are always people who will be attract to US football due to movies/series but I fell that it will stay a minor sport.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 AM
R94

14 posts, read 16,102 times
It doesn't enjoy mainstream popularity anywhere, but it does have strong cult followings across the continent.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
It's pretty strange and boring for me to watch a game who twice in a minute to show a commercial.
When do you do bong hits?

Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 PM

827 posts, read 630,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When do you do bong hits?
I just see I forget a word. More sens now:

It's pretty strange and boring for me to watch a game who *stop* twice in a minute to show a commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe