Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times

Advertisements

There is interest in the UK and Germany. I would suspect the Czech Republic is warming to the NFL, given their love of contact sports, such as ice hockey and box and field lacrosse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
Here is George to explain it all!!

https://youtu.be/GU0aHikD8Vc

Old 10-03-2017, 01:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
There is interest in the UK and Germany. I would suspect the Czech Republic is warming to the NFL, given their love of contact sports, such as ice hockey and box and field lacrosse.
They (the NFL) seem hell bent on trying to get the game some popularity in the UK, I'm not sure its working quite as well as they claim it is, the thing is in the UK or France or even Italy there is rugby which (particularly in France and the UK) is a popular contact sport, surely the NFL will have a better chance of success if it try's to establish the game somewhere in Europe that doesn't have much interest in rugby football?

Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
They (the NFL) seem hell bent on trying to get the game some popularity in the UK, I'm not sure its working quite as well as they claim it is, the thing is in the UK or France or even Italy there is rugby which (particularly in France and the UK) is a popular contact sport, surely the NFL will have a better chance of success if it try's to establish the game somewhere in Europe that doesn't have much interest in rugby football?
I don't think it will ever gain enough popularity to become national, however there are enough supporters and Americans living here to support games in London, and the next step may be Tottenham hosting a franchise but we shall see.

However as you rightly point out we already have Football (Soccer), Rugby (including the very popular annual Six Nations) and Cricket (including the increasingly popular T20 game).

Old 10-03-2017, 03:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Maybe that's why the NFL has focused quite a bit on Germany, which seems to solidly be its second market in Europe after the UK. And the Germans have been reasonably receptive.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe that's why the NFL has focused quite a bit on Germany, which seems to solidly be its second market in Europe after the UK. And the Germans have been reasonably receptive.
I would suggest Germany is its 'first' market in Europe, or at least it should be, instead of playing Wembley games they should be playing in Germany. I understand that the games at Wembley attract a lot of Americans and everybody from across Europe who like the game, perhaps Germany would be a better option for attracting a 'local' crowd, not only that Germany is more 'central' for other Europeans that have an interest.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
I would suggest Germany is its 'first' market in Europe, or at least it should be, instead of playing Wembley games they should be playing in Germany. I understand that the games at Wembley attract a lot of Americans and everybody from across Europe who like the game, perhaps Germany would be a better option for attracting a 'local' crowd, not only that Germany is more 'central' for other Europeans that have an interest.
I was thinking the same thing.

I believe that through all of the forays the NFL has had in Europe (World League of American Football, NFL Europe) that the team in Frankfurt (Galaxy? Rhein Fire?) was the only one that survived from beginning to end.

The contacts I've had with Germans (exchange students in my youth, family friends of my wife, etc.) seem to indicate that there is some decent "life" at the grassroots level for American football in Germany as well.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM

827 posts, read 630,997 times
Also rugby isn't that much popular in Germany. At least not like in UK or France.
They don't realy have a "contact sport", so there is maybe a room for it.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 PM

272 posts, read 270,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I can't imagine an NFL team being successful in London because flying all the way there from the East Coast of the US isn't a big deal, but for a team coming from the West, it could take an entire day to get there, jet lag is going to be an issue for the players, and the show times will also be an issue due to the extreme time zone differences.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:00 AM

124 posts, read 108,840 times
The NFL is the cool, new hipster-ish sport to follow among swedish youths.
I see a lot of Broncos and Patroits hats on the streets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe