Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've only been here 20 years. I do see a change in France. But in all frankness, this is both more of an an urban-rural thing and age-related, as well. Also, most Americans only travel to tourist places, where English is important. In rural Jutland, English skills vary a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Over here some 20 yo people still don't even have a basic grasp of English. Middle school English courses are of no use if you have no interest in learning the language.
yes I think it is largely limited to the tourism/hospitality industry.

I was hospitalized for a month recently and none of the doctors, who are supposed to be very well educated, spoke decent English. Only two of the more than 20 nurses, all of whom are young in their 20s, were able to communicate in english.

Don't exaggerate the popularity of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 AM

667 posts, read 940,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yes I think it is largely limited to the tourism/hospitality industry.

I was hospitalized for a month recently and none of the doctors, who are supposed to be very well educated, spoke decent English. Only two of the more than 20 nurses, all of whom are young in their 20s, were able to communicate in english.

Don't exaggerate the popularity of it.
Was it in France?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Over here some 20 yo people still don't even have a basic grasp of English. Middle school English courses are of no use if you have no interest in learning the language.
That is ... true. France, Italy, and Spain are the triple alliance of bad English in Europe.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:20 AM

2,305 posts, read 1,526,346 times
When we first went to Italy in about 1980, I tried to speak to my husband's relatives in French. It was their second language (at least where he was from) and most people my age had to do French in high school in Australia.
These days the younger Italian relatives, forty or younger, all have studied some English. Their kids start in kindergarten and have a lesson each day. So it has become the second language rather than French.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I am interested to know if there are any monolingual speakers of Dutch/Nordic languages between the ages of 15 to 40. Would be interesting to find out...

Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Was it in France?
Yes. of course...

Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 AM

505 posts, read 393,757 times
Language importance is shifting all the time, not long ago it was French for humanities and German for technology. Who knows about the future with the combined strenght of Mandarin, Spanish and Pidgin?

Now they are selling small gimmings to place behind your ear that allow you to understand any language, maybe learning literal languages is the past.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
When we first went to Italy in about 1980, I tried to speak to my husband's relatives in French. It was their second language (at least where he was from) and most people my age had to do French in high school in Australia.
These days the younger Italian relatives, forty or younger, all have studied some English. Their kids start in kindergarten and have a lesson each day. So it has become the second language rather than French.
I was in Turin only last December, tried to ask questions twice to young people because I thought they would speak better English and both times they didn't seem to understand what I said and was even nervous

I believe in the restaurants it is usually ok, but a random Italian speaking decent English is still not that common.

Yes, everyone studied English but that doesn't translate into communicable skills. It is like everyone takes French lessons in Canada but few would be able to communicate in French outside Quebec.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am interested to know if there are any monolingual speakers of Dutch/Nordic languages between the ages of 15 to 40. Would be interesting to find out...
You would be hard-pressed to find many if you exclude people with developmental disabilities.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You would be hard-pressed to find many if you exclude people with developmental disabilities.
So does that mean that these societies become bilingual societies in the sense of speaking the local language among yourselves and English (which is the international lingua franca these days) is used exclusively to communicate with foreigners. I guess people learn early on that is the only reason to learn English and why everyone learns it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe