Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,873 times

Advertisements

I went to Paris a decade ago and remember that it was one of the most difficult places to be because absolutely no one knew English. I recently just came back and the difference is staggering. The majority of service workers in Paris know English and I found that to be true all over Europe as well. Even in places as far off as Ukraine, all the restaurants had menus in English and at least one staff member spoke it.

Did Europe learn English because of America's culture exports or was it because of England's presence on the continent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I went to Paris a decade ago and remember that it was one of the most difficult places to be because absolutely no one knew English. I recently just came back and the difference is staggering. The majority of service workers in Paris know English and I found that to be true all over Europe as well. Even in places as far off as Ukraine, all the restaurants had menus in English and at least one staff member spoke it.

Did Europe learn English because of America's culture exports or was it because of England's presence on the continent?
Bit of both, I have been visiting other parts of Europe for 30 years and I've always found plenty of English speakers, I've always found English menu's, but there again I've often (but not always) gone to parts of Europe that are popular with English tourists (I find many menu's also have French and German options). I first visited Paris in around 1981 as a boy and I remember a lot of people there spoke English then, the thing is though they rather wanted us to speak to them in French first (and why not considering WE were the ones visiting their country), they would use English to 'help us along', the Dutch and Scandinavians (to name but a few Euro countries) have been highly proficient in English for decades (the skill of our European cousins when it comes to foreign languages puts us British to shame) :-)

Last edited by easthome; 10-31-2017 at 06:48 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
I think it has nothing to do with culture. They learn English to make money.

Note that it is not just Americans who speak English in Paris. Almost all non-French speakers do as well.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
I can´t speak for the rest of Europe, but it might have something to do with Germany not being the hottest thing in 1945.
Sweden was heavily into german culture after the french revolution, but not so much after WWII.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Same in Germany. My parents never learned English. I learned English in 5th grade. My nieces from grade 2 on. You need English skills in many professions. So to be more competitive, they teach kids English. More and more words are not even getting translated anymore, they just get adopted. You see the word "shop" on some stores, which they didn't have when I was a kid. "Chilling" is now commonly used, I did not grow up with this.

I think the main reason is the globalization through internet and people easily traveling to other countries.

I used to go to Italy for vacation as a kid and learned some words before hand to get around and not get lost. Now you can go there and communicate in English with them.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I can´t speak for the rest of Europe, but it might have something to do with Germany not being the hottest thing in 1945.
Sweden was heavily into german culture after the french revolution, but not so much after WWII.
can you elaborate?

The German language is spoken (a little bit) in many countries also because Germans travel everywhere. Wherever you go, and it could be the tiniest country in the world, you'll find some German tourists. Anyway, to accommodate them and make money, a lot of people in foreign countries in tourist areas learn a little bit of German.

It may be the same with English. People want to make money, so to communicate, they learn the language of the people they want to have business with.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
noone in Paris spoke English a decade ago ? Right.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
I used to do business in Europe in the 80's, and 90's, and all the business people in which I dealt spoke English. I never had a problem getting along. Yes, they are motivated to speak English for business reasons.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times
People in most European countries can speak at least basic English, with many being completely fluent. In the larger countries such as France, Spain & Italy I would say less people can speak English, but even here many can, especially in the larger cities & tourist areas.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM

505 posts, read 393,757 times
Knowing the spattering of language western Europeans knw, English is just a pidgin,,same goes with the rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe