Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Don’t know if this topic was ever brought up before. What are some places many people don’t know about that would be nice for foreigners to visit away from traditional tourist cities? I was stationed in Italy and one of my favorite places was Gaeta Italy. I also enjoyed Ancona Italy. For some of the ports our ship visited, I sometimes enjoyed visiting the towns outside the port city more than the actual port city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Pretty much any secondary or tertairy city/province. Every place will have its little museums about the history and culture of the area, its livelihood/industry, its role during the wars, its particular inventions or characteristic element of material culture, etc.

Also, if you are into nature, look for the second highest mountain range, the second largest lake, the second biggest forest, etc.
These areas will often have a quaint tourist infrastucture in the smaler towns and villages that mainly cater to locals and people from the adjacent region who don't want to fight the crowds of foreigners in the big name cities and natural attractions.

Also seek museums that, oddly enough, might not sound that interesting at first glance. Those that concentrate on a region's industry or resources. Forestry and mining museums in Norway are a favorite of mine. (I do find those interesting, but many people might otherwise overlook them.)

One of my favorite museums in the world is the Norsk Skogsmuseum (Norwegian Forest museum) in Elverum. Displays detail life and labor, forestry, hunting, and woodcraft in Norway, historically up to the present day. All set in the forest with traditional buildings along the Glåma river in eastern Norway north of Oslo. Everyone flies into Oslo then takes the train to the Fjordlands of the western part of the country near Bergen, but there are all kinds of interesting little places off the beaten track. Another place would be the Fortress museum in Kongsvinger, set on a high hill with displays concerning Norwegian military history from the Middle ages onward. It is not the kind of place that draws people from across the globe, but you will not find a day spent there a day wasted by any means.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 02-28-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Rick Steves' book "Europe through the Back Door" in the 1980s, mentioned several charming, unspoiled towns he thought were overlooked, such as Civita del Bagno (a village on top of a mountain, north of Rome), Hallstadt (on a lake in Austria) and Gimmelwald, Switzerland (not be confused with the more popular Grindelwald). But because of Rick Steves' publicity, these towns may no longer be overlooked today.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
If you go to SW Ireland, everyone flocks to the Dingle Peninsula, but also very beautiful, & far less touristy is the Beara Peninsula, it is extremely beautiful.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:52 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Don’t know if this topic was ever brought up before. What are some places many people don’t know about that would be nice for foreigners to visit away from traditional tourist cities? I was stationed in Italy and one of my favorite places was Gaeta Italy. I also enjoyed Ancona Italy. For some of the ports our ship visited, I sometimes enjoyed visiting the towns outside the port city more than the actual port city.
There are plenty places even in touristic countries like Italy
Much more than touristy places. Fortunately for locals... You also have places touristy most of the time... But totally desert off-season.

Two places that would fit your definition :
I know the Tatras in Slovakia, the 'highest and smallest mountain range in the world' , and Kosice, a very cute city certainly not very touristy'. The cathedral is great!

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 02-28-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Not too many people visit Liechtenstein, comparatively.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Rick Steves' book "Europe through the Back Door" in the 1980s, mentioned several charming, unspoiled towns he thought were overlooked, such as Civita del Bagno (a village on top of a mountain, north of Rome), Hallstadt (on a lake in Austria) and Gimmelwald, Switzerland (not be confused with the more popular Grindelwald). But because of Rick Steves' publicity, these towns may no longer be overlooked today.
I remember reading somewhere, way back in the 90s, that some of those locations were known as 'Rick Steves towns' because, until they were more widely discovered, most of the American travelers there could be seen lugging their Rick Steves books around with them.

Now these places are firmly stamped on the tourist trail and adventurous travelers have to look elsewhere if they want to avoid the hordes.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
a little picture of Tatras in Slovakia (if it works)...

I ve never seen such a compact mountain range, but the top is at 2655m
There's a cable car if you are lazy ^^
Tatras pop from nowhere, cover the area of inner Paris. Which is extremely small for mountains. A must see in the middle of secret places of Europe

Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not too many people visit Liechtenstein, comparatively.
Its not interesting though. Its half a valley in Switzerland

Old 03-01-2018, 05:09 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Its not interesting though. Its half a valley in Switzerland
Driving along with visitors from Germany into Switzerland ...

Hey guys, Liechtenstein coming up ... !
Visitors too busy finding their passports!
Where?
About a quarter mile back!

Agreed, a bit over the top, but it is a very small place, and the only thing that slows you down is the Zoll Amt! If they stop you ...
(I have Swiss license plates and the vignette, and I address them in Swiss-German ...)
I usually come from Bregrenz and then shoot south towards Stans (Pilatus FW).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe