Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 03:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times

Advertisements

^ it's not that uncommon at least in the midwest of the country. I personally hate ketchup on anything other than a little on a hamburger. But go out to breakfast at a diner in the middle of the country, you'll see people put all sorts of weird crap on eggs.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:06 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've lived in the US for decades, born and raised, and have yet to meet someone who puts ketchup on their eggs. I only ever saw this done by Mr. Roper on the tv series Three's Company.

As an aside on Russian cuisine - possibly the most popular salad in Hungary is what they call 'French Salad.' When I tracked down the recipe to prepare it myself, I learned that it is actually Olivier salad, and is Russian in origin. The chef who created it (in Russia) was of Belgian origin, not French at all. Reminds me of 'French Fries.' I wonder where else France has 'stolen valor' in the culinary world? The croissant, for sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad
In Russia, they call it "French salad", but in Romania, they call it "Russian salad". This reminds me; I've always wondered what they call "Swedish massage" in Sweden...

Old 05-16-2018, 04:15 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m in Ireland right now, on day 5 of a tour through GB and Ireland. I’ve had one delicious gourmet dinner, and not another good meal in England or Scotland. The tour director prepared us by saying, “nobody comes to GB for the food.” He was right.

The English breakfasts are hearty and filling, but not very good. I will admit that scones, jam and clotted cream are delicious. One night, they managed to cook a piece of salmon without ruining it.

Looking forward to being back in my own kitchen.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m in Ireland right now, on day 5 of a tour through GB and Ireland. I’ve had one delicious gourmet dinner, and not another good meal in England or Scotland. The tour director prepared us by saying, “nobody comes to GB for the food.” He was right.

The English breakfasts are hearty and filling, but not very good. I will admit that scones, jam and clotted cream are delicious. One night, they managed to cook a piece of salmon without ruining it.

Looking forward to being back in my own kitchen.
Salmon is so easy to cook, you'd think it would be hard to ruin, but Russians do that, too. They fry it, not realizing that simple poaching for 5 minutes gives you a wonderfully tender and succulent fish. . Of course the Native people along Russia's Pacific Rim and along the spawning rivers inland do know how to cook it properly. Such a shame to let such a precious fish be ruined simply out of ignorance.

Scones and jam and cream are wonderful, but these days, I need a decent dose of protein with my breakfast, too.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Boy, you really know how to hurt a guy, don't you? LOL!

I maintain that the only reason Russian food didn't make it into the top 10 (gawd, to be behind Germany really stings!) is that they haven't caught up to speed in terms of consumer culture yet, so the more average restaurants still have a foot back in the Soviet era. The gourmet restaurants are very expensive, at least--in Moscow & St. Pete's. To get a proper sampling of Russian food, you have to go to Russian restaurants in the West. Or find a family where the grandmothers still do the cooking. But those old-fashioned grandmothers have pretty much died out, anyway. Modern grandmothers can't be bothered.

The ranking seemed to be partly about good restaurant culture, which is a sub-set of well-developed consumer culture, as much as about the quality of the food. That would tend to leave Russia out.

Why?
If you like MEAT, German cuisine is very good. Meat department ( all kind of sausages including) is their specialty, and that's why German cuisine is more "identifiable" and more "organized" than Russian one.
With Russian cuisine, which incorporated so much stuff from different places ( be that France or Germany,) plus Caucasus and ( where the heck did "pelmeni" came from? Somewhere from Siberia's natives? Mongolia? China? I have no idea. ) The main point is - Russian cuisine is all over the place, and apart from easily identifiable dishes as "typical Russian" - i.e. borsch, caviar, pirozhki, Stroganoff, - it's difficult to pinpoint what "Russian cuisine" really is.

Now talking about a "foot in Soviet era" - as in "negative undertones" - it all depends when and where.
Because SOME of the dishes there were yet again unique and of very high quality. Russians are simply not good at "marketing," otherwise "Chicken Kiev" would have been patented somehow, as much as "Sturgeon baked Moscow style." ( I'm sure there were some other dishes worth mentioning, I just don't remember them all.)
But even when you'll read the wiki article about "Chicken Kiev," you'll see how much everything is pointing in French direction, as a great influence on what's now known as "Russian cuisine." (Although between us, I think Russians borrowed from Germany as much as they could too, but in a more quiet, discreet manner.)
The reason for that I suspect, is that deep down Russian men are really your typical "meat and potatoes" kind of people, and while they'd let women admire all the intricate French cooking - the pates, the beef tongue, and whatever else was mentioned on "disgusting foods list" here earlier, I suspect that by the end of the day they were still demanding some "schnitzel" or whatever had big chunk of meat and potatoes in it))) ( I am talking about Russian gentry here)))
And going back to Soviet restaurants, I think the best food was served there actually through Stalin's times, ( or so I've heard because it was still so close to Tzarist Russia period, and a lot of original recipes ( and products) were still around.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've lived in the US for decades, born and raised, and have yet to meet someone who puts ketchup on their eggs. I only ever saw this done by Mr. Roper on the tv series Three's Company.

As an aside on Russian cuisine - possibly the most popular salad in Hungary is what they call 'French Salad.' When I tracked down the recipe to prepare it myself, I learned that it is actually Olivier salad, and is Russian in origin. The chef who created it (in Russia) was of Belgian origin, not French at all. Reminds me of 'French Fries.' I wonder where else France has 'stolen valor' in the culinary world? The croissant, for sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_salad
They still refer to it as "Olivier" salad from time to time, but most often it's a just a "Salad" that everyone is fixing by the New Year ( or any celebration, actually,) because everyone knows what this "salad" means, and every family has its own recipe.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Well, these hundreds of thousands of people voted... I didn't do anything, I m just repeating like a good parrot.
It's not my fault if he knows only a fraction of the french food (probably from an expensive bland parisian restaurant mostly) and claim that it is overrated and based mostly on offal// or overrated ultra expensive michelin restaurants that are extremely biased.

It's not 'overrated', he finds it overrated which is quite different. And it is appreciated abroad, not by everyone but by enough people. Period. Maybe not as much as italian food or spanish one, more easy to access, or more spicy, often time cheaper for a lot of meals, or colorful, whatever, but it is. Apparently quite hard to accept.

I mostly don't eat in Paris, I never touched sweetbread, first time I touched pigeon and frogs, it was in Hong-Kong, never touched snails, hate andouillette and kidneys.

But I love Saint Honoré, Fat liver with blueberries and figs chutney (yes, chutney) with a Sauternes, saucisson in ash, baguette with butter and radishes, brie with truffles, cointreau with a fruit salad, a good flamish carbonnade, tartiflette of Savoie, or even the pork cooked in honey with apples of my mom' blablablabla.... I m not gonna continue it's boring and useless.
Oh no, please go on)))
It all sounds like awesomeness itself, like some kind of food paradise that I would never depart once I am there)))

Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh no, please go on)))
It all sounds like awesomeness itself, like some kind of food paradise that I would never depart once I am there)))
Should I ? It might sound too snobby, sophisticated and expensive!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:27 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Bah,

If all your links are true but a ranking made after 260k people voted - to create the 'daft internet ranking' -
is wrong, then so be it. Google is right, but not for everyone

The problem is that, you have zero idea of the French cuisine except through anglo medias and few travels in France _at best_, in Paris at worst. And you try to give a lesson to a french how they eat and make food, how they consider this moment, what are family dishes ...

Please, stop with clichés, by respect for yourself. Because when people throw clichés about UK, you are here to remind them how wrong they are, and ridiculous.
If you don't like french cuisine, then just say it, that's enough. I don't like Spanish cuisine and I know it's excellent, much better than French one for millions of humans. If you picture French cuisine as sweetbread and whiny people in a *** Michelin and insist on it, it's just a demo of ignorance.
I feel that Pokitobounto talks quite a bit of sense, I have a foot in both camps, probably a smaller one in France than Angleterre, and I have no wish to go against Brave New World, but, and I may well be mistaken, I feel that he may not appreciate dining in France as much as I do.
If he thinks that British cuisine is France’s equal, or better, it is of course his prerogative to feel that, and to say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ok, now I understand why "Indian" food in the UK is subpar, it's really English food! It all make sense now.
Years ago, my doctor was an Indian woman, I told her that I enjoyed Indian cuisine, and she said, “What you mean is, you enjoy what Indian restaurants serve you in the U.K., but that food bears little relation to what I or my mother made back in India.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I also don't think I have ever heard anyone say, you know what I feel like a French meal tonight, like they do in relation to other cultures.

Personally I think French food is over rated and for those of you who are unsure of what constitutes French food, here's a small but informative list courtesy of wikipedia.

List of French dishes - Wikipedia

As for Spanish food, I avoid Tapas or any food left out at bars, as whilst it may look fun in reality a lot of people don't wash their hands after going to the toilet and people do touch such food and brreathe on it. Past studies have shown all types of bacteria and even traces of urine on such food.

At least once per month I’ll say to my wife, “I’m jonesing for French food, where do you fancy, Club Gascon in West Smithfield, or Café du Marché, in Charterhouse Square?
We’ve also eaten tapas in Madrid, Seville, Murcia, and Valencia for years, with no ill affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

And of course, that's not all I ate in Europe either. I mean I've visited Europe many, many times and lived in Germany for three years. During all those times, I've eaten great food, and not so great food - sort of like all my years in the US in various places. But delicious, fresh food options were simply never hard for me to find in Europe, including in the UK. Just like they're not hard for me to find here in Texas. Or in any other "first world" locale I've visited.

I've just never been into fast food or processed food and I tend to gravitate toward farmer's markets, locally owned restaurants, local specialties, etc. Never been hard to find.
Ah, Deutschland, home of bratkartoffeln, maultaschen, bauern frühstück, and kappler rippchen, my German daughter-in-law is the Paula Deen of Nord Rhein Westfalen, except that she doesn’t have any restaurants!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post

Ah, Deutschland, home of bratkartoffeln, maultaschen, bauern frühstück, and kappler rippchen, my German daughter-in-law is the Paula Deen of Nord Rhein Westfalen, except that she doesn’t have any restaurants!
I really like German food in general - it's not hard to add a side or two of veggies to whatever German food I decide to make. Thank goodness when we lived over there we had plenty of fresh produce available from the commissary because the only thing they consistently lack in my opinion is plenty of fresh produce. This southern girl is used to lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

But Germans are hard to beat when it comes to breads, meats, cheeses, and desserts! People often forget that they also do well with seafood, but they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe