Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 09:19 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love most German foods. Germans have great breads, desserts, cheeses, and meats. They seem to be lacking in regard to fresh veggie options, sauces, etc. But I lived there for three years and one meal you can always count on in Germany is one that's got a meat, potatoes, and fabulous bread!

I also always loved stopping for a dessert and coffee, which Germans do really well.
They're definitely good with deserts. Also good with soups and stews. (Gulaschsuppe, anyone?) Germanic countries are great for bread and cheese, I agree (and good butter!). That leaves a lot out, though. But for people who are into old-fashioned meat-and-potatoes, they might think they'd died and gone to heaven, there. Still, I can appreciate a good, hearty soup culture.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 AM

27,227 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Typical food in the UK is much worse than on the Continent, especially Southern Europe. It isn't really anyone's fault, as Northern Europe just has a shorter growing season and less variety of produce, and the food, historically, was mostly bland, boiled stuff.

Yes, London has many world-class restaurants, obviously. It's a global city and the wealthy obviously demand quality. But that isn't typical day-to-day eating in the UK. And I would still say that London's culinary offerings are generally quite inferior to those of Paris or NYC.
The UK ia a maritime trading nation full of busy ports which traded with the Empire, even in Victorian times the ports were full of herbs, spices and exotic fruits and the British actually have a taste for exotic and spicy food which is why curry and other spicy food is very popular in the UK.

Today vast supermarkets and markets offer an abundance of fruit and vegetables from every corner of the world, and every possible type of cusine is available. Indeed one of the most incredible places to go is New Covent Garden Market in London which has a massive array of fruit and veg, as well as flowers, with the market covering 57 acres (23 ha).

New Covent Garden Market - Wikipedia

New Covent Garden Market: Wholesale Market for Fruit, Veg and flower market

Summer start for £2bn New Covent Garden redevelopment - London, UK

As for typical day to day eating, there is numerous choice and variety, just as there are in most places in a highly globalised world. Although in terms of family businesses, street foods, quaint pubs and even health food chains such as Leon as oppossed to fast food chains, the UK has an abundance.

Furthermore London has seen a lot of restaurants from NYC open a London restaurant and vice versa and the same is true of Paris, whilst many Americans and French chefs have opened businesses in London. London is a global city and the variety and quality of cusine is superb, and outside of London there are many regions with superb quality dishes and fresh foods, from the 700 varieties of cheese through to seafood, meats and numereous other fresh produce.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-14-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 AM

You can even get NYC Pizza slices in London after some New Yorkers decided they wanted the pizza in London, and they are now expanding to new locations, whilst British chains Leon sell very healthy food including vegetables, rice and fruits.

NY Fold London - Pizza With An Authentic New York Taste

British Healthy Food Chain Leon.

Leon All-Day Menu

Pret a Manger, EAT, Bill's ets are also British Chains -

Pret a Manger - Menu

EAT - Our Menu

Bill's - Menu

Marks and Spencer - Food on the Move

As indeed are international British home grown outlets such as Wagamama, Wahaca, Dishoom etc

Wagamama - Menu

Wahaca - Menu

Dishoom | Bombay Café

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-14-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're definitely good with deserts. Also good with soups and stews. (Gulaschsuppe, anyone?) Germanic countries are great for bread and cheese, I agree (and good butter!). That leaves a lot out, though. But for people who are into old-fashioned meat-and-potatoes, they might think they'd died and gone to heaven, there. Still, I can appreciate a good, hearty soup culture.

Yeah, the food there can get a bit monotonous. But I try to focus on the good things in each culture and not the negatives so I always tend to find great food, music, etc. just about everywhere.

I mean, OMG, the bread and cheese alone...don't even get me started on desserts. I gained 15 pounds during the three years we lived there. But I have to admit that I was glad to get back to all the fresh produce of the American South.

I still can't believe they don't eat corn. They're missing out! They consider it food only fit for animals, but clearly they never tasted my grandmother's cornbread and black eyed peas!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You can even get NYC Pizza slices in London after some New Yorkers decided they wanted the pizza in London, and they are now expanding to new locations, whilst British chains Leon sell very healthy food including vegetables, rice and fruits.

NY Fold London - Pizza With An Authentic New York Taste

British Healthy Food Chain Leon.

Leon All-Day Menu

Pret a Manger, EAT, Bill's ets are also British Chains -

Pret a Manger - Menu

EAT - Our Menu

Bill's - Menu

Marks and Spencer - Food on the Move

As indeed are international British home grown outlets such as Wagamama, Wahaca, Dishoom etc

Wagamama - Menu

Wahaca - Menu

Dishoom | Bombay Café

Head's up though - don't go to Damn Yankee restaurants in the UK expecting authentic American style foods! Pitiful.

But overall, I loved the foods in London, from the curries to the ploughman's lunch.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’ve lived in Portugal and Spain for 6 months. I’ve gone all over the continent and tried different types of cuisines. But one thing I’ve noticed is that the food is significantly worse than in America. It might be more organic and with less preservatives, but that doesn’t equate t actual flavor.
I found the opposite

Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
I like german food generally, but it is a bit one dimensional. Still better than English food though. German cheeses are nowhere near as good as Italian, French and Spanish cheeses.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I like german food generally, but it is a bit one dimensional. Still better than English food though. German cheeses are nowhere near as good as Italian, French and Spanish cheeses.
In terms of chesse Britain has over 700 varities from stilton to wensleydale and from chedder to cheshire etc, indeed Britain is a major manufacturer of cheese.

The world's best cheese has been named (and it's British) | London Evening Standard (2017)

Furthermore why don't you try reading about the proper history of British food which involves numerous very spicy foods and is far from the misguided sterotypes or from being one dimensional.

How food created the British empire - The Economist

The glories of empire — and Britain's taste for the exotic | The Spectator

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-14-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM

395 posts, read 599,819 times
I`ve been to Europe and I never found the food to be particularly better than what you would get in Canada for the same price. Certainly Europeans do not eat as well as Canadians who enjoy a dizzying variety of restaurants that you don`t get in Europe. Also in Europe {and nearly all the planet for that matter} people eat the same thing day in and day out which doesn`t happen in Canada. In Canada it`s very rare to get people eating the same type of food even 2 days in a row. One night we have Italian, then Indian, then Canadian, then French, then Japanese, then Greek, then American, then Mexican, then Chinese.....we have a veritable buffet every week.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of chesse Britain has over 700 varities from stilton to wensleydale and from chedder to cheshire etc, indeed Britain is a major manufacturer of cheese.

The world's best cheese has been named (and it's British) | London Evening Standard (2017)

Furthermore why don't you try reading about the proper history of British food which involves numerous very spicy foods and is far from the misguided sterotypes or from being one dimensional.

How food created the British empire - The Economist

The glories of empire — and Britain's taste for the exotic | The Spectator
Cool, the UK still has bad food compared to the continent. The cheese may be the best thing they have, though France and Spain have better cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe