Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting how one hears that about France, Italy, Spain, but not so much about Sweden, Norway, or Germany. Wurst and potatoes, anyone? Pickled herring?
I love most German foods. Germans have great breads, desserts, cheeses, and meats. They seem to be lacking in regard to fresh veggie options, sauces, etc. But I lived there for three years and one meal you can always count on in Germany is one that's got a meat, potatoes, and fabulous bread!

I also always loved stopping for a dessert and coffee, which Germans do really well.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
As a Londoner, I can say with authority that it is indeed a stereotype which is a few decades out of date, like the Brits/bad teeth thing. There is a huge variety of wonderful food in London - and yes, as with everywhere (including the US!), a lot of crap too.

As for the OP, he has a point in that his home state of Texas, offers some fantastic food. I've never had better Tex-Mex than in the likes of Pappasitos or Chuy's in Houston, for example - but then I'd be surprised if I did. There are some fairly decent Tex-Mex restaurants in London, but they're not quite the same, just as a British Sunday roast I had in San Antonio once was nothing like it would be here.

But, this time last year I spent a few days in Seville and Lisbon and found the quality and taste of food to be great! I think when you travel, you need to realise you can't expect to have the same experience you might at home - in fact, surely this is one of the reasons why you travel?! The OP seems to not understand this.

As an aside, my wife - who was raised in TX, reckons certain foods, especially vegetables, are far superior in taste and quality in the UK and the rest of Europe than in the US.
As a Texan, this hasn't been my experience in Europe vs the US, especially Texas. We always seem to have a huge array of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables around here. Also throughout the south, which is another area I'm very familiar with. Tons of locally grown, delicious vegetables and farmer's markets everywhere. Maybe that's not as common in the northeast or west - I don't know - but I do know that in the south and midwest regions, locally grown produce is abundant.

Don't get me wrong - I love Europe and the foods of Europe in general. I think they do cheeses and breads and sauces particularly well, generally speaking. And to be fair, I haven't been to southern Europe, but in the UK and central and northern Europe, I have been definitely UNDERWHELMED by fruits and vegetables options. Decidedly so in fact, even though what I did eat seemed to usually be very tasty.

I really don't have significant complaints about food in either Europe or the US in general - both regions have some fabulous options and offerings. I do think that each region has it's own specialties - and limitations - but so what?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You mean they have worse bread thee than sliced American white bread?
Just so you know, for some perspective, this here American hasn't eaten sliced white bread for probably thirty years, and that's not an exaggeration. I have plenty of options when it comes to whole grain breads, though I do miss the crusty, chewy breads of Germany. I think Germans make the best breads on the planet.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM

673 posts, read 468,267 times
I traveled thru out Europe for years. The food was always great. When I would get back to the States and the food would stink. Soooo, I find the food here in the States to be average at best. Go to a restaurant and most of it is out of a can.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
I traveled thru out Europe for years. The food was always great. When I would get back to the States and the food would stink. Soooo, I find the food here in the States to be average at best. Go to a restaurant and most of it is out of a can.
I guess if you go to restaurants where they serve things out of a can that might be true. Anywhere.

Look - there's great food readily available throughout the US and Europe. Wow, talk about first world problems! Like I've said before, if you can't find good food easily on either continent, then you really really really don't know where to look.

Oh and I want to add something, as someone who has lived in Europe and who visits fairly regularly - visiting friends, not necessarily touristy spots - I can assure you that fast food, junk food, canned food, chips, additives - all that good stuff is in European grocery and convenience stores in ABUNDANCE.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-13-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 01:44 AM

9 posts, read 6,691 times
Fried and fake food gets you addicted, so of course natural food in Europe is bad :-)

Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,377,111 times
Some things are better in North America, some things are better in Europe. Also, what are we talking about as "Europe"? The food in, say, Spain, is much better than in, say, Netherlands.

Beef in Europe is one thing that is almost never worth buying, particularly if you're coming from the U.S. European beef is expensive and relatively poor quality.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadehond View Post
Fried and fake food gets you addicted, so of course natural food in Europe is bad :-)
Yep, and so is natural food in the US. Because fried and fake food in Europe (and there's plenty of that there as well) isn't addictive because, well, because it's European and therefore simply must be superior.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,945,173 times
I liked Wendy's in Austin TX, the hamburger and fries seemed more tasteful than anything you'd get in Europe to me. Not sure about the ingredients though, they take better care of what they put into the food in Europe. Groceries are much better in Europe.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,377,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Perhaps you should look at this, the only thing I will say in your defence is that you are not the only one that seems to believe every world stereotype is a fact (without any proof to it), why don't you actually try visiting London before making daft claims.
Typical food in the UK is much worse than on the Continent, especially Southern Europe. It isn't really anyone's fault, as Northern Europe just has a shorter growing season and less variety of produce, and the food, historically, was mostly bland, boiled stuff.

Yes, London has many world-class restaurants, obviously. It's a global city and the wealthy obviously demand quality. But that isn't typical day-to-day eating in the UK. And I would still say that London's culinary offerings are generally quite inferior to those of Paris or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe