Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM

14,112 posts, read 14,072,038 times

Advertisements

I heard food is good in London, parts of Spain, Paris, Italy

Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sunday Roast Beef was a staple. Even my French Canadian mother made it..although she was always jealous of my aunts Yorkshire Puddings.

My Irish born Grandmother...brought up though in BC, had an old fashioned wood burning stove. I swear her roast beef, carrots and potatoes all cooked in one pot, were the best EVER made
Getting a bit nostalgic as she died when I was 8. She was a kind lady. She had a special tea service for us kids when we visited. We would take tea on the verandah in wicker chairs. LOL. Oh, my I sound like I'm from another century..oh wait.I am!!
That was our Sunday dinner, too, and I grew up in NJ in the '60s and am mostly Dutch and some English descent. Roast beef, mashed potatoes with gravy made from the drippings, corn, string beans, carrots, and homemade applesauce. Didn't know about Yorkshire pudding, and I don't think I've ever had it, though I've seen it in recipe books.

Not all cooked in one pot, though--that was what we called pot roast. The Sunday roast was usually made in the oven.

Occasionally it would be switched out with a chicken dinner or a leg of lamb. We ate mashed potatoes probably nine meals out of ten, and it's still my favorite food. Sometimes my mom would do something different with the potatoes instead of mashing them, like cut them up and pour melted butter and parsley over or make scalloped potatoes or baked potatoes. Once a month or so we would have rice instead, and maybe egg noodles or spaghetti and meatballs now and again.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I visited Amsterdam, Paris, and London in 2015, and London had the best food for vegetarians, hands down. The pubs all offered a vegetarian pot pie, they have this wonderful vegetarian buffet restaurant called Tibits that was PACKED--and all those people couldn't have been vegetarians--and really good pizza, and I'm from NJ telling you that. We know pizza.

Best food I had in Paris, besides a baguette fresh from the bakery, was from a small Indian restaurant near our airbnb. I am sure there was other good food there, but Paris is not a great dining atmosphere for non-meat-eaters. Did have a wonderful salad with fried potatoes on top in Montmartre--sounds weird, but it was really good. I've recreated it a few times since I came back.

Amsterdam food was OK, too. Had some good Italian food there, and the very best veggie burger I've ever eaten from a food truck on the museumplein.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:17 PM

7,159 posts, read 12,740,254 times
Don't know about you, but I've had incredible meals just about everywhere I've been fortunate enough to travel -- and some memorable terrible ones, too!

From diners to tapas to trattorias to pubs to street corner vendors to haute cuisine-- it's all delicious when it's prepared by a loving, talented cook/chef.

Seems to me when meals are created from locally-sourced, in-season fresh ingredients, you can't go wrong...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:05 PM

102,341 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:
Interesting how one hears that about France, Italy, Spain, but not so much about Sweden, Norway, or Germany. Wurst and potatoes, anyone? Pickled herring?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,772,700 times
Quote:
Food is bad or so expensive in London that it's not enjoyable. All of Spain, France and Italy have delicious food though.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Food is bad or so expensive in London that it's not enjoyable. All of Spain, France and Italy have delicious food though.
That's the stereotype about London food, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's not true. It probably was true at one time, though.

Would like to visit Spain and Italy, though, to see what they've got!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,253,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's the stereotype about London food, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's not true. It probably was true at one time, though.

Would like to visit Spain and Italy, though, to see what they've got!
As a Londoner, I can say with authority that it is indeed a stereotype which is a few decades out of date, like the Brits/bad teeth thing. There is a huge variety of wonderful food in London - and yes, as with everywhere (including the US!), a lot of crap too.

As for the OP, he has a point in that his home state of Texas, offers some fantastic food. I've never had better Tex-Mex than in the likes of Pappasitos or Chuy's in Houston, for example - but then I'd be surprised if I did. There are some fairly decent Tex-Mex restaurants in London, but they're not quite the same, just as a British Sunday roast I had in San Antonio once was nothing like it would be here.

But, this time last year I spent a few days in Seville and Lisbon and found the quality and taste of food to be great! I think when you travel, you need to realise you can't expect to have the same experience you might at home - in fact, surely this is one of the reasons why you travel?! The OP seems to not understand this.

As an aside, my wife - who was raised in TX, reckons certain foods, especially vegetables, are far superior in taste and quality in the UK and the rest of Europe than in the US.

Last edited by pbobcat; 05-09-2018 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: typo/plus additional observation

Old 05-10-2018, 01:30 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,115,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That is just stereotypical rubbish, usually spouted by our European 'friends'! Why don't you go the whole hog and start complaining that it ALWAYS rains in London and that the British ALL have bad teeth!!?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,772,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That is just stereotypical rubbish, usually spouted by our European 'friends'! Why don't you go the whole hog and start complaining that it ALWAYS rains in London and that the British ALL have bad teeth!!?
I'm American, just giving my experience in London. I would much rather be eating in Paris than in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe