Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That is just stereotypical rubbish, usually spouted by our European 'friends'! Why don't you go the whole hog and start complaining that it ALWAYS rains in London and that the British ALL have bad teeth!!?
In today's UK it is indeed rubbish. Some of the best chef's now come from the UK.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
A smaller fantastic meal. The gbp is worth more than the Euro so would Euro doesn't go as far
That's what I said earlier. You have to spend A LOT in the UK to get decent food. The food is bad in London unless you spend a lot of money. Not so on the continent, you can eat nearly anywhere in Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Belgium, Austria and you will get good food. Not so much in the UK.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
You can have a fantastic meal in Thailand for about £2.50! Does this then make the food in Portugal terrible? It's not about the price, but in any case, there are several places in the UK you can eat well for about a tenner.
This is a conversation about European and American food, not poor East Asian countries. Thai food is of course cheap and fantastic in Thailand.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:46 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
On average, Europeans are getting fatter and fast food is selling at a record pace. Pretty soon our food will be as "good" as yours in the US!

Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
As an American, I’m embarrassed by this thread.
I am embarrassed so many fellow Americans think we all eat processed foods all the time. I certainly don't, and make most of my meals from scratch, and buy directly from local farms. Meats, cheeses, vegetables, and fruits are all local when in season.

Also, I have found most of the foods I have had in Europe very, very good.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:53 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,415 times
The 'weak' point in UK isn't the quality, it's very good in London if you pay the price - if you aren't as rich as Londoners it's not their fault, prices should be ppp for fair comparison - but more that the gastronomy - the British one- isn't 'the most developed'. At least in term of marketing power.
I don't go tpo London to eat in the best Spanish or Japanese restaurant ever (maybe they exist) ..but best British food ever.
These restaurants didn't jump to my eyes when I was enjoying London.
I hope next time I ll see some. Real English gastronomy, that is unknown to me unfortunately.

Food is better in UK than USA for sure and to my personal experience.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am embarrassed so many fellow Americans think we all eat processed foods all the time. I certainly don't, and make most of my meals from scratch, and buy directly from local farms. Meats, cheeses, vegetables, and fruits are all local when in season.

Also, I have found most of the foods I have had in Europe very, very good.
Of course not, but it is easier and cheaper to get good, fresh food in Europe. Living in a big US city I have access to virtually anything, at a price. My in laws live in a small town. You should see the produce in the grocery store. Terrible with virtually no selection. And not cheap. They have a massive aisle of chips and cookies though.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:37 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is a conversation about European and American food, not poor East Asian countries. Thai food is of course cheap and fantastic in Thailand.
Missed my point a bit but, never mind, believe what you want.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:19 AM

27,157 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
The 'weak' point in UK isn't the quality, it's very good in London if you pay the price - if you aren't as rich as Londoners it's not their fault, prices should be ppp for fair comparison - but more that the gastronomy - the British one- isn't 'the most developed'. At least in term of marketing power.
I don't go tpo London to eat in the best Spanish or Japanese restaurant ever (maybe they exist) ..but best British food ever.
These restaurants didn't jump to my eyes when I was enjoying London.
I hope next time I ll see some. Real English gastronomy, that is unknown to me unfortunately.

Food is better in UK than USA for sure and to my personal experience.
In terms of London, there are expensive restaurants, right through to more moderately priced family restaurants and pubs right down to chain restaurants and fast food outlets.

Whilst the food markets and street food is very good, so London does cater for different budgets and tastes.

As for the US there is some great fresh food, the sea food and markets in New England, the mexican influence in Texas and California, NYC famous for it's pizza, bagels, Reuben sandwich etc and there are numerous great cities and markets across the US.

Man v Food with Adam Richman used to be very good, and offered a light hearted insight in to some of America's great cities, whilst more recently the BBC screened Rick Stein's Road To Mexico, which highlighted a lot of great food in California as well as Mexico.

You can find good food across the world and every continent and country has something good to offer.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-12-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Well, you'd be wrong. The food is so much better in western continental Europe it's not even close.
Complete and utter stereotypical rubbish, you have proof I suppose? No I thought not, I don't even believe you have been anywhere near the UK!

Eating Europe's Guide to the Top 15 Foodiest Cities in Europe

Perhaps you should look at this, the only thing I will say in your defence is that you are not the only one that seems to believe every world stereotype is a fact (without any proof to it), why don't you actually try visiting London before making daft claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe