Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM

427 posts, read 245,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Look into Belgorod. Great college town an overnight train ride from Moscow.
I will do some research into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, now--there's an idea! Cluj, Romania, has a university, and hosts American college study groups every summer, and also is a center for Western tech companies of various sorts. Beautiful nature outside the city, in nearby mountains, where there are nature preserves, quaint villages, etc.

As to Russia, OP, I'd choose the smaller cities on your list, if I were you: Rostov, Novgorod, and the like. My personal faves are way farther east: Ulan Ade (Buryatia), which Americans love, in part because of the architecture painted Buddhist colors: saffron and maroon, and because of the Buddhist culture. (It does have a university.) Khabarovsk has several universities that accept foreign students, though it's really hot in the summers, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, if you like climbing volcanoes and soaking in hot springs, though it's a bit remote. Close to Alaska, though, and there's a plane connection with Anchorage in the summers.

OK, you may not be interested in any of those, but I just had to enthuse. Carry on, and good luck, wherever you end up. Keep us posted.
I live in the midwest and flights from Alaska to where I live are extremely expensive.

Buddhist culture doesn't matter to me as much...I'm not a new age person, though Buddhism certainly has great lessons that apply to everyone.

I doubt it's that hot...it can get up to 95F+ with 90% humidity in the summer...it's brutal. I'll also look up Petropavlosk-Kamchatskii...I have only heard of Kamchatka, Irkutsk and Yakutsk because my father has a game of Risk from the 70s-80s where they still had those on the map

Is there other cities like Sochi that are pretty mild year round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
To be honest one person immigrating will increase the total count of immigrants here from 3 to 4...yes not thousands or million just 4 people . But I think way in advance about future generations.
That works in my favor, I'm sure...there are quotas for immigrants and the less immigrants in a certain area, the better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I think that's a little extreme.
Not every Russian will survive there, and you want to send an American there. He's so young
I'm tough...

Quote:
Did Gerard Depardieu ever actually move there?
Quote:
He moved to Russia I think, you missed my point...

Russia seems to have plenty of immigrants, read somewhere it was 2nd in the world, after US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yes we all know Russia has immigrants from Asia and loses emigrants to the West. This has been true, more or less, for the past 800 years.

OP, you could try Tushino if you're looking for one of the cheaper areas of Moscow.
I think Moscow wouldn't be a good place for me...that's what Erasure made me think, and I don't blame him...in a city of 12,000,000...you are nothing...

Does anyone have any opinions on the Far East? I know it's cold as hell, but I've been fairly good with the cold (-10F+wind) and withstand it better than the heat...I was thinking places like Archangelsk or Vladivostok...I know that I have never experienced -40 to -50 and that it's brutal and nothing I have experienced could have prepared me for that, but still...

Also, why the heck is Yakutsk so expensive.

Also, Veliky Novgorod?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on the Far East? I know it's cold as hell, but I've been fairly good with the cold (-10F+wind) and withstand it better than the heat...I was thinking places like Archangelsk or Vladivostok...I know that I have never experienced -40 to -50 and that it's brutal and nothing I have experienced could have prepared me for that, but still...

Also, Veliky Novgorod?
Oops, Arkhangelsk is in the Northwest

Last edited by CuriousAboutRussia; 04-11-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
immigrants from Asia and loses emigrants to the West.

Source? Most of Asia is far more developed than Russia and culturally very different, it's unbelievable if Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Hong-Kongians etc move to Russia.

Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan maybe you mean with their "whooping" 3 million population...

Old 04-11-2019, 11:48 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
Yekaterinburg is a large city (1,5 million people) with universities, industry, etc etc.

Apartments for rent (on site Avito), for example, 1-bedroom ("2 rooms" in Russian), between 17000 and 22000 rubles a month ($283 - 366).

https://www.avito.ru/ekaterinburg/kv...02_0b0&s_trg=4

Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Yekaterinburg is a large city (1,5 million people) with universities, industry, etc etc.

Apartments for rent (on site Avito), for example, 1-bedroom ("2 rooms" in Russian), between 17000 and 22000 rubles a month ($283 - 366).

https://www.avito.ru/ekaterinburg/kv...02_0b0&s_trg=4
That is 100% affordable, and I believe Yekaterinberg is one of the top 10 best cities to live in in Russia?

Is that city centre or outskirts?

Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Also, I just wanted to thank every single person who commented with information and encouragement. I am so grateful for the information...with the size of Russia, finding the right place without local suggestions would be nigh on impossible...

Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
https://urfu.ru/en/international/inb...-ekaterinburg/

(watch the video in the end, to have a better picture).

It's in the Urals. They are proud to be on "the border between Europe and Asia", even though an imaginary line.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Source? Most of Asia is far more developed than Russia and culturally very different, it's unbelievable if Japanese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Hong-Kongians etc move to Russia.

Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan maybe you mean with their "whooping" 3 million population...
Russia tracks the nations of origin, you can look it up on their websites. Central Asia, not East Asia.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I will do some research into it!

I live in the midwest and flights from Alaska to where I live are extremely expensive.

Buddhist culture doesn't matter to me as much...I'm not a new age person, though Buddhism certainly has great lessons that apply to everyone.

I doubt it's that hot...it can get up to 95F+ with 90% humidity in the summer...it's brutal. I'll also look up Petropavlosk-Kamchatskii...I have only heard of Kamchatka, Irkutsk and Yakutsk because my father has a game of Risk from the 70s-80s where they still had those on the map

Is there other cities like Sochi that are pretty mild year round?

That works in my favor, I'm sure...there are quotas for immigrants and the less immigrants in a certain area, the better...

I'm tough...

I think Moscow wouldn't be a good place for me...that's what Erasure made me think, and I don't blame him...in a city of 12,000,000...you are nothing...

Also, Veliky Novgorod?
I just told you about the Far East. Why are you asking about the Far East? Archangelsk is nowhere near the Far East, check a map. It's not "cold as hell", that's a stereotype. Yakutsk is expensive, because it's expensive to maintain a colony way out in the middle of the arctic or sub-arctic. Yakutsk is grim, don't even think about it. Kamchatka, Khabarovsk, and Vladivostok aren't that cold, relatively speaking in a Russian sort of way, because, being on the coast (or fairly near the coast in the case of Khabarovsk) lightens up the weather, compared to Buryatia, and Yakutia, and Irkutsk. But even around Lake Baikal (Buryatia and Irkutsk), winters, though cold, often have weeks of bright sunshine in-between the snowstorms. It's nothing you can't handle with the right gear. Get your Eddie Bauer Arctic Expeditionary Down Jacket, rated to 50 below, and you'll be fine. Been there, done that. Where it gets too cold to go outside in winter (and yet, people do, because they have no choice), is Yakutia.

IDK about Vladivostok (also the Far East). Someone else will have to help you with that. I wasn't impressed by it at all, but it's changed a lot since I was there. I prefer Khabarovsk, which has a nice layout; green, leafy boulevards, better museums than Vlad, there's the Amur River, with Native villages along its length, to explore. But summers---hot, steamy! Almost tropical in feel! You could save your money, and fly up to Kamchatka for part of the summer, where it's cooler Oh, and there are good beaches on Kamchatka. Good surf. Bring your board! (Just kidding!)

Kid, you need a map. Right now, you hardly know East from West. If you do go east, though, bring mosquito netting.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I just told you about the Far East. Why are you asking about the Far East? Archangelsk is nowhere near the Far East, check a map. It's not "cold as hell", that's a stereotype. Yakutsk is expensive, because it's expensive to maintain a colony way out in the middle of the arctic or sub-arctic. Yakutsk is grim, don't even think about it. Kamchatka, Khabarovsk, and Vladivostok aren't that cold, relatively speaking in a Russian sort of way, because, being on the coast (or fairly near the coast in the case of Khabarovsk) lightens up the weather, compared to Buryatia, and Yakutia, and Irkutsk. But even around Lake Baikal (Buryatia and Irkutsk), winters, though cold, often have weeks of bright sunshine in-between the snowstorms. It's nothing you can't handle with the right gear. Get your Eddie Bauer Arctic Expeditionary Down Jacket, rated to 50 below, and you'll be fine. Been there, done that. Where it gets too cold to go outside in winter (and yet, people do, because they have no choice), is Yakutia.

IDK about Vladivostok (also the Far East). Someone else will have to help you with that. I wasn't impressed by it at all, but it's changed a lot since I was there. I prefer Khabarovsk, which has a nice layout; green, leafy boulevards, better museums than Vlad, there's the Amur River, with Native villages along its length, to explore. But summers---hot, steamy! Almost tropical in feel! You could save your money, and fly up to Kamchatka for part of the summer, where it's cooler Oh, and there are good beaches on Kamchatka. Good surf. Bring your board! (Just kidding!)

Kid, you need a map. Right now, you hardly know East from West. If you do go east, though, bring mosquito netting.
Vladivostok looks like a pretty city. So does Arkhangelsk...and if I go to Arkhangelsk, I can visit Finland ;D

It seems Irkutsk isn't too cold (average lows go down to -7.2F at their coldest) and isn't too expensive to live. I feel like living in eastern Russia would be quite an adventure, even if just for a year.

Just looked up Khabarovsk like you said, and it's very pretty...gorgeous, even. Maybe I only saw worse pictures of Vladivostok, but Khabarovsk looks prettier!

Also, I corrected myself on where Arkhangelsk was the post after I made that one you quoted...

I'm gonna go check a map. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe