Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 PM

427 posts, read 246,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My opinion this is a ridiculous reason.

You can find that amount in cities aside from Moscow and St. Petersburg, and for those cities, only if you are very lucky and it will be a bit of a distance from the actual city. Then you have the issue if you would really want to live in such an area, just as people in the US does not want to live in a high crime area.
I don't understand? Living for that amount in the U.S is nigh on impossible if you have to have a car and pay car insurance.

There are plenty of cities around the world that you can live for that much, I just chose Russia because I like the language and the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
While I'm pretty clueless about the topic at hand, the English teaching route is certainly very popular globally. A Russian guy told me last year that many Russians struggle with English due to the fact that the language has a very different structure to Russian, which is very much on point.

I know that personally, I would never be able to offer language courses since I'd be terrible at explaining different tenses.

On another note, and this goes for any place you travel to (not just Russia), avoid engaging in political discussions with locals or strangers. Some may try to pick your brains out, but the best way to sidestep the issue is to either politely decline or state that you're not interested in the matter.

Best of luck TC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes.
English language has tendency to "cluster," where Russian tends to specify every little thing.
In a way Russian is closer to German ( or even Latin languages) in this respect, just not English.

So would I, and not "different tenses" only)))
I already started studying up on the difference between tenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I went to Russia 3 to 5 times a year from 1994 until 2008. I learned a lot of Russian but for me the key part I missed was total immersion in the language. I spoke good enough to fool non Russian speakers and me and the ex would often play "tupoy Russkiy tyrist" just for the fun of it. She was Russian. I also learned to curse really well in Russian as the guys in the rail yards had about half their vocabulary consisted of cursing.

If you live there you will have the chance to totally immerse yourself in the language. That's when you will learn very quickly.

I'd also like to take exception to what M3Mitch said about being watched and some Russian behaviors.

When I first started going there I (and my cohorts) had "minders". They were people who worked for the Moscow Metro and the tour agency that made sure we didn't get into trouble, lost or any other bad situations. I didn't speak anything but the extreme basics then. They got us to the hotel, to the meetings with the metro people and other stuff. They were interpreters too.

They were needed. I got lost numerous times on my own trying to find my way around on my own. I even had a run in with the police in Belgorod after I sat down in front of the local court house that had some problems in the recent past with the mob. It wasn't smart sitting down in front of the place and reading a map I guess. Long story short I called Irina who was responsible for me and she solved the whole thing in a few sentences and scolded me for wandering out of sight of the hotel. She was pissed.

I was never "followed" by shadowy people. I WAS watched by the people I worked with, I couldn't read Russian. I didn't know what the Russian word for danger was at first ffs. I'd walk right over tracks the had carriage wheels running down it and do it because the sign forbidding it was written in Russian. I didn't know the words for their chemicals. We got the basics inthe form of a booklet but admittedly I never read it. This practice of having guides with us stopped eventually because everyone figured our team didn't need it after awhile.

When out in public I wasn't followed, robbed, beaten, flogged or spit on. I ran onto a cab driver with a rotten attitude that spoke english and I was tempted to knock him out but didn't. My experience may be different than others. i'm a large guy and somewhat threatening in other than broad daylight. My wife said I look completely Russian and would have no problem passing as Russian until I open my mouth. I wandered the streets of Moscow for many miles at all hours and NEVER had an issue. I was only asked for my documents on the street once which seems to be something they do randomly.

Most Russians I met personally were above all curious. They loooove to party and don't even think you can keep up with them.
What do you mean people from the Moscow Metro watched you? I don't understand what you mean...unless you worked for them (you talk about the railyards).

I'm generally conflict averse so I don't get myself into situations where an argument or fight will take place.

I do know the Russian word for exit is "выход", so how lost could I ever really get...

Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I don't understand? Living for that amount in the U.S is nigh on impossible if you have to have a car and pay car insurance.

There are plenty of cities around the world that you can live for that much, I just chose Russia because I like the language and the culture.
I am not one to stop anyone, just saying it is an odd reason, and you make it out to be flowers and butterflies when you do it. With your target price, you will be only using a bus to get somewhere, even to the metro, the area will not be great at ll, high crime; or you will live in some distance, ungodly boring city/town/village.

Sure, it cane easily be done, just baffled why there, I see it says "St. Louis" where, you are from, so it is like someone saying of all places in the US to go, they will choose E. St. Louis because housing is affordable.

But good thing is you can try it, then leave if it not work out.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I went to Russia 3 to 5 times a year from 1994 until 2008. I learned a lot of Russian but for me the key part I missed was total immersion in the language. I spoke good enough to fool non Russian speakers and me and the ex would often play "tupoy Russkiy tyrist" just for the fun of it. She was Russian. I also learned to curse really well in Russian as the guys in the rail yards had about half their vocabulary consisted of cursing.

If you live there you will have the chance to totally immerse yourself in the language. That's when you will learn very quickly.

I'd also like to take exception to what M3Mitch said about being watched and some Russian behaviors.

When I first started going there I (and my cohorts) had "minders". They were people who worked for the Moscow Metro and the tour agency that made sure we didn't get into trouble, lost or any other bad situations. I didn't speak anything but the extreme basics then. They got us to the hotel, to the meetings with the metro people and other stuff. They were interpreters too.

They were needed. I got lost numerous times on my own trying to find my way around on my own. I even had a run in with the police in Belgorod after I sat down in front of the local court house that had some problems in the recent past with the mob. It wasn't smart sitting down in front of the place and reading a map I guess. Long story short I called Irina who was responsible for me and she solved the whole thing in a few sentences and scolded me for wandering out of sight of the hotel. She was pissed.

I was never "followed" by shadowy people. I WAS watched by the people I worked with, I couldn't read Russian. I didn't know what the Russian word for danger was at first ffs. I'd walk right over tracks the had carriage wheels running down it and do it because the sign forbidding it was written in Russian. I didn't know the words for their chemicals. We got the basics inthe form of a booklet but admittedly I never read it. This practice of having guides with us stopped eventually because everyone figured our team didn't need it after awhile.

When out in public I wasn't followed, robbed, beaten, flogged or spit on. I ran onto a cab driver with a rotten attitude that spoke english and I was tempted to knock him out but didn't. My experience may be different than others. i'm a large guy and somewhat threatening in other than broad daylight. My wife said I look completely Russian and would have no problem passing as Russian until I open my mouth. I wandered the streets of Moscow for many miles at all hours and NEVER had an issue. I was only asked for my documents on the street once which seems to be something they do randomly.

Most Russians I met personally were above all curious. They loooove to party and don't even think you can keep up with them.
Ethnic Russians are usually not the issue, it is those idiot central Asians and Chechens that cause the problems. I think being a criminal is a genetic trait with them.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I am not one to stop anyone, just saying it is an odd reason, and you make it out to be flowers and butterflies when you do it. With your target price, you will be only using a bus to get somewhere, even to the metro, the area will not be great at ll, high crime; or you will live in some distance, ungodly boring city/town/village.

Sure, it cane easily be done, just baffled why there, I see it says "St. Louis" where, you are from, so it is like someone saying of all places in the US to go, they will choose E. St. Louis because housing is affordable.

But good thing is you can try it, then leave if it not work out.
East St. Louis is one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. I would avoid that area at all costs. There are plenty of safe places in Russia.

I won't live in Moscow or SPB...more like Novosibirsk/Irkutsk/Vladivostok/Arkhangelsk or any other number of cities I mentioned...all possibilities.

Quote:
Ethnic Russians are usually not the issue, it is those idiot central Asians and Chechens that cause the problems. I think being a criminal is a genetic trait with them.
I've been told avoid Uzbeks in Moscow unless I want to be mugged...

Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Don't forget about Belgorod. I found it really interesting mainly due to studies of WWII. Another one of my favorites is Smolensk. If you like history it is something to see. A very charming city with more to offer than Belgorod because it's kept it's historic side. THis is my favorite city of them all.

Smolensk city, Russia travel guide

Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
East St. Louis is one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. I would avoid that area at all costs. There are plenty of safe places in Russia.
Lol, that is what I am saying, your target budget will only get you in the cities like you listed below, but those places are just, well, blah. It is like saying you are exciting to move to Dumbs**tville Kentucky or something. Cool at first, but the blandness comes quick. They are alright if you got connections and stuff, past the superficial things that come with the expat community.

Quote:
I won't live in Moscow or SPB...more like Novosibirsk/Irkutsk/Vladivostok/Arkhangelsk or any other number of cities I mentioned...all possibilities.
See above; there is really little of note in those cities for long term residing. They are "alright" if you got family, deep relations with friends, something, but rolling in will be exciting at first, then the boredom will start creeping in. Your cool bar can only be entertaining for so long. If you get involved in whatever going on, then that will make things more interesting, sort of like having a job here in some boring town in the US.

Quote:
I've been told avoid Uzbeks in Moscow unless I want to be mugged...
Uzbeks are actually the more nicer ones, Tajiks do the soft crime, Chechens/Muslim Caucasus groups are the ones that like to do the violent crime, only in groups also.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Lol, that is what I am saying, your target budget will only get you in the cities like you listed below, but those places are just, well, blah. It is like saying you are exciting to move to Dumbs**tville Kentucky or something. Cool at first, but the blandness comes quick. They are alright if you got connections and stuff, past the superficial things that come with the expat community.

See above; there is really little of note in those cities for long term residing. They are "alright" if you got family, deep relations with friends, something, but rolling in will be exciting at first, then the boredom will start creeping in. Your cool bar can only be entertaining for so long. If you get involved in whatever going on, then that will make things more interesting, sort of like having a job here in some boring town in the US.

Uzbeks are actually the more nicer ones, Tajiks do the soft crime, Chechens/Muslim Caucasus groups are the ones that like to do the violent crime, only in groups also.
I enjoyed living in bum**ckville, Missouri (1200 people) and commuted 1 hour each way to work. I love living in smaller cities, so I don't think the boringness will be an issue. Also, university would help me build connections, I'm sure.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:23 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
I enjoyed living in bum**ckville, Missouri (1200 people) and commuted 1 hour each way to work. I love living in smaller cities, so I don't think the boringness will be an issue. Also, university would help me build connections, I'm sure.

You have the right kind of attitude.
So yes, go and live in Russia for a year for starters.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You have the right kind of attitude.
So yes, go and live in Russia for a year for starters.
I'm really getting excited for this because usually, people my age don't have the chance to go and travel because they can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe