Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 03:20 PM

427 posts, read 246,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yeah.. Strange kinda.

Clo-ser than Englsih, but not really "very close."

They DO watch Americans in particular.
Trust me.
I wouldn't call it similar to French at all. The only thing similar is the genders...No cases in French, and French has articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
More to the list;

Irony of Fate (NYE custom to watch)
Moscow does not Believe in tears
Quiet Flows the Don (and reading the book is a must)
Love and Dove

Also;

Yellow flowers and even number flowers are for things like a grave. For a girl, give an odd number and any color but red. Put your empty glass bottle on the floor, not the table, and watch that spiced vodka, lol.
I will add those to the list. Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears sounds like a comedy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They do? What do you mean? How do you know?

I need a Canadian Passport.
No you don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Well, maybe with one eye

Striped cruise (Polosatiy reys)
Love affair at work (Sluzhebniy roman)
Girls (Devchata)
Welcome, or no entry for unauthorised people (Dobro pozhalovat ili postoronnim vhod vospreshen)
12 chairs (only necessarily directed by Mark Zakharov with Andrei Mironov in the title role).
Incredible adventures of Italians in Russia.

Why? I hear it for the first time. Many our girls like red roses.
Added to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The workers at the rail yards had a hard time keeping me safe because I was not familiar with the way things worked. I was there mainly to do warrenty checks on the work we would do to the control systems on the locomotives power systems, traction motors and other electrical stuff.

We worked on the systems of these and other larger intercontinental locomotives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mosc...PzgcfXiHva-mM:

https://www.google.com/search?client...cXFUylJ4voSJM:

It was really dangerous in ways but aside from almost getting run down by several trucks (wheel/motor assemblies carriages ride on) I never stepped on an electrified rail (3rd rail) and cooked myself. At first they watched me closely until they saw I was competent enough to not get killed by doing something stupid. It took me awhile to start to see things that to them were obvious hazards. If I needed to pull a buss box to be shipped back to be rebuilt I was never allowed to be alone at first.

I can add something else that happened to my wife on Moscows subway in 2008 when we were there. She was relieved of her cellphone and wallet by an expert pickpocket on the metro. Keep your valuables in your bra.
Is it true that a job with the Moscow Metro is a very lucrative and good job?

Quote:
They don't. This one hasn't. We're trying to clarify whether Americans get watched or not (clarifying is not arguing), and some people on any of the Europe forums have a problem with seemingly naive Americans who don't speak the language of the target country they want to live in. That same dynamic (call it arguing, if you must) plays out often on the Euro forums. But our OP is studying the language. The differences of opinion are on whether his dream is realistic or not. But no one is fighting on this thread. We're simply discussing. This isn't one of those Ukraine threads...
I actually figured out one of the gender things yesterday автозавод = Auto Factory... Автозавод + -ская = Auto Factory Station because -ская is a way to make an improper noun a proper noun, along with -ая and -ский...then you can say красивая Автозаводская because they're feminine words I think So you could also say Красивая Библиотека Имени Ленина because it's all feminine...but if you wanted to name a masculine word, like Prospekt, it might be -ский...like Калининский Проспект...sorry, this was just something fancy for me to learn yesterday in the course of about 10 minutes lol.

This is just me rambling though...
Quote:
"Madam". I'm a ma'am.
Got it, Ma'am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Got it, Ma'am.

And while I am at that - put me on the same list.

That guy in my profile is not me, but a very "controversial figure"
that I respect a great deal.

In fact the FB was downright banning some Russians, who dared to put his (and Motorolla's) pics on their pages in their memory.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Is it true that a job with the Moscow Metro is a very lucrative and good job?
It seemed to be but you need to consider the times. The guys I worked with were part of a guild, union or whatever they were called. The last time I went there was almost 13 years ago. It was a well run system that's for sure, very resilient and the guys I worked with were masters. 1000s of people were employed by the metro also. Anyone who can get into the running of that metro in just about any capacity is going to acquire one very valuable skill set. That system is pretty amazing and it's huge. I acquired all my high voltage experience doing this work, and survived. Ended up in the hospital for 10 days once but I made it. It was very humbling.

The only reason I/we were there was because of the backlog of work that needed to be done when it came to maintenance and repair. We helped them catch up and it took over a decade.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And while I am at that - put me on the same list.

That guy in my profile is not me, but a very "controversial figure"
that I respect a great deal.

In fact the FB was downright banning some Russians, who dared to put his (and Motorolla's) pics on their pages in their memory.
I take it you support Ukraine then? I'll be honest, I truly know nothing about the conflict besides what I've been told.

EDIT: It seems the DPR is pro Russia, not pro Ukraine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
It seemed to be but you need to consider the times. The guys I worked with were part of a guild, union or whatever they were called. The last time I went there was almost 13 years ago. It was a well run system that's for sure, very resilient and the guys I worked with were masters. 1000s of people were employed by the metro also. Anyone who can get into the running of that metro in just about any capacity is going to acquire one very valuable skill set. That system is pretty amazing and it's huge. I acquired all my high voltage experience doing this work, and survived. Ended up in the hospital for 10 days once but I made it. It was very humbling.

The only reason I/we were there was because of the backlog of work that needed to be done when it came to maintenance and repair. We helped them catch up and it took over a decade.
Why'd you end up in the hospital?!

I actually was a member of the Laborer's Union here in the U.S (in fact, I still pay my dues...)

Old 04-13-2019, 08:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Quote:
I take it you support Ukraine then? I'll be honest, I truly know nothing about the conflict besides what I've been told.

EDIT: It seems the DPR is pro Russia, not pro Ukraine?
DPR is pro Russia. Their "leader" released a statement 2 days ago to say 2 things: They don't recognize elections in Ukraine and they want to join Russia. I actually wish they would join Russia but Russia doesn't want them too. Erasure will agree with me on that. We have enough threads open to fight about the rest so I'll stop there.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
DPR is pro Russia. Their "leader" released a statement 2 days ago to say 2 things: They don't recognize elections in Ukraine and they want to join Russia. I actually wish they would join Russia but Russia doesn't want them too. Erasure will agree with me on that. We have enough threads open to fight about the rest so I'll stop there.
I'm banning the word Ukraine in this thread!

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Speaking of the unmentionable country, it is absolutely easy to live there on 1500 a month. But you will be hard pressed to find a Russian language program. And the cheap prices won't last forever...Kharkov would be your best bet for language programs.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Speaking of the unmentionable country, it is absolutely easy to live there on 1500 a month. But you will be hard pressed to find a Russian language program. And the cheap prices won't last forever...Kharkov would be your best bet for language programs.
I generally don't willingly go to countries that are in losing wars...but hey, maybe I need a bit of excitement in my life!

I'm pretty set on Russia because it's sort of like the big brother of all of the former SSRs and I feel like it would be easier to be an American there than in the other countries...though I've heard Moldova is absolute crap, and Estonia is absolutely wonderful.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times
Quote:
I generally don't willingly go to countries that are in losing wars...but hey, maybe I need a bit of excitement in my life!

I'm pretty set on Russia because it's sort of like the big brother of all of the former SSRs and I feel like it would be easier to be an American there than in the other countries...though I've heard Moldova is absolute crap, and Estonia is absolutely wonderful.

Definitly easier...for starters it's the only country in Europe (except Belarus) with death penalty, something that will be unthinkable in both western/eastern europe where people are liberal unlike America or Russia.

and whoever thinks I am wrong:

"Article 20 of the Russian Constitution states that everyone has the right to life, and that "until its abolition, death penalty may only be passed for the most serious crimes against human life.""

Again, not something you'd see in either western europe, eastern europe or the so called "ussr".

Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Definitly easier...for starters it's the only country in Europe (except Belarus) with death penalty, something that will be unthinkable in both western/eastern europe where people are liberal unlike America or Russia.

and whoever thinks I am wrong:

"Article 20 of the Russian Constitution states that everyone has the right to life, and that "until its abolition, death penalty may only be passed for the most serious crimes against human life.""

Again, not something you'd see in either western europe, eastern europe or the so called "ussr".
If I remember correctly, didn't they have to sign a commutation of the death penalty to join an international group of some kind (like the EU, but obviously not the EU)? I don't think it's a permanent commutation either, just for an indefinite amount of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe