Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, then, that raises another question (though actually, I was asking Zimogor): did people even know about the murders? Were any of them covered in the media?

Of course they do.
Quick search from 2006 - and here it is.

https://lenta.ru/news/2006/10/07/kill/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM

427 posts, read 246,171 times
We got very off topic...

Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
We got very off topic...
Yes, agree.

You are in a good position, you are not economically dependent on getting a job or anything, and that gives you good flexibility and options. Head on over to Russia and try it, if not like, you can just get up and walk without worrying where your next pay check will come from.

I would do such thing also, did it for a while actually, but I have expensive tastes/lifestyle, lol, so need to work.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, agree.

You are in a good position, you are not economically dependent on getting a job or anything, and that gives you good flexibility and options. Head on over to Russia and try it, if not like, you can just get up and walk without worrying where your next pay check will come from.

I would do such thing also, did it for a while actually, but I have expensive tastes/lifestyle, lol, so need to work.
That's very true. I still can't believe my father hasn't called me a dunce for even suggesting this idea.

The other thing is that if things go wrong in Russia (it's always good to have a backup plan) and I can't go back home, I can get Israeli citizenship with no caveats and move to Israel (they sponsor the move). My dad would prefer I just emigrate to Israel, but it's not my first choice. It definitely is warm there, which is wonderful.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I went to Russia 3 to 5 times a year from 1994 until 2008. I learned a lot of Russian but for me the key part I missed was total immersion in the language. I spoke good enough to fool non Russian speakers and me and the ex would often play "tupoy Russkiy tyrist" just for the fun of it. She was Russian. I also learned to curse really well in Russian as the guys in the rail yards had about half their vocabulary consisted of cursing.

If you live there you will have the chance to totally immerse yourself in the language. That's when you will learn very quickly.

I'd also like to take exception to what M3Mitch said about being watched and some Russian behaviors.

When I first started going there I (and my cohorts) had "minders". They were people who worked for the Moscow Metro and the tour agency that made sure we didn't get into trouble, lost or any other bad situations. I didn't speak anything but the extreme basics then. They got us to the hotel, to the meetings with the metro people and other stuff. They were interpreters too.

They were needed. I got lost numerous times on my own trying to find my way around on my own. I even had a run in with the police in Belgorod after I sat down in front of the local court house that had some problems in the recent past with the mob. It wasn't smart sitting down in front of the place and reading a map I guess. Long story short I called Irina who was responsible for me and she solved the whole thing in a few sentences and scolded me for wandering out of sight of the hotel. She was pissed.

I was never "followed" by shadowy people. I WAS watched by the people I worked with, I couldn't read Russian. I didn't know what the Russian word for danger was at first ffs. I'd walk right over tracks the had carriage wheels running down it and do it because the sign forbidding it was written in Russian. I didn't know the words for their chemicals. We got the basics inthe form of a booklet but admittedly I never read it. This practice of having guides with us stopped eventually because everyone figured our team didn't need it after awhile.

When out in public I wasn't followed, robbed, beaten, flogged or spit on. I ran onto a cab driver with a rotten attitude that spoke english and I was tempted to knock him out but didn't. My experience may be different than others. i'm a large guy and somewhat threatening in other than broad daylight. My wife said I look completely Russian and would have no problem passing as Russian until I open my mouth. I wandered the streets of Moscow for many miles at all hours and NEVER had an issue. I was only asked for my documents on the street once which seems to be something they do randomly.

Most Russians I met personally were above all curious. They loooove to party and don't even think you can keep up with them.

Actually my experiences were very similar to yours. I understand that "monitoring" is stepped up in the last few years. Perhaps I am wrong.

Something else to think about is that not just in Russia, but most of the world, most hotel rooms have some monitoring equipment ("bugs") in them.

I do think the OP will be regarded with quite a lot of suspicion, they just don't get many Americans who want to immigrate into Russia. The question of "what's his real motive" will come up, and the simple explanation he is offering, that he's curious about the country, that he has some Russian roots, that the COL is cheaper - I just don't think the powers that be will believe it. I'm not saying he will be followed, robbed, or beaten, but that he will be subject to surveillance of some sort.

Like you, my physical appearance is within Russian norms, so once I started speaking fairly well, I started to pass for a "generic East European" who has decent Russian skills but speaks with an accent. Or so I was told. I was very seldom asked for papers. Most of my colleagues dressed like American tourists, and so they were occasionally hit by pickpockets, etc. I learned to blend in.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 PM

1,348 posts, read 626,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually my experiences were very similar to yours. I understand that "monitoring" is stepped up in the last few years. Perhaps I am wrong.

Something else to think about is that not just in Russia, but most of the world, most hotel rooms have some monitoring equipment ("bugs") in them.

I do think the OP will be regarded with quite a lot of suspicion, they just don't get many Americans who want to immigrate into Russia. The question of "what's his real motive" will come up, and the simple explanation he is offering, that he's curious about the country, that he has some Russian roots, that the COL is cheaper - I just don't think the powers that be will believe it. I'm not saying he will be followed, robbed, or beaten, but that he will be subject to surveillance of some sort.

Like you, my physical appearance is within Russian norms, so once I started speaking fairly well, I started to pass for a "generic East European" who has decent Russian skills but speaks with an accent. Or so I was told. I was very seldom asked for papers. Most of my colleagues dressed like American tourists, and so they were occasionally hit by pickpockets, etc. I learned to blend in.
Yes, maybe you're right..and there will be some "monitoring", but this does not mean that for you will constantly walk "man in black". It's "monitoring" will be invisible to you and most likely it will take place at the stage of obtaining a visa and crossing the border.
And if you will not do anything illegal,they will not touch to you.

I think what all intelligence services so do, isn't it?

Especially since our current relationship is not in the best shape.. even during the "cold war" was better..

Old 04-15-2019, 09:12 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
To be fair, I don't think anyone can truly answer whether monitoring occurs or not. If they could, then the person who's observing our guest isn't doing a good job.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
There millions of visitors to Russia each year, they are not monitoring everyone, lol, they are not monitoring anyone actually, unless for the obvious reasons like suspected foreign agent, sect spreading, etc. But flying in to do the family visit thing, the tourist thing, not at all, we are just not that important.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:01 AM

1,348 posts, read 626,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There millions of visitors to Russia each year, they are not monitoring everyone, lol, they are not monitoring anyone actually, unless for the obvious reasons like suspected foreign agent, sect spreading, etc. But flying in to do the family visit thing, the tourist thing, not at all, we are just not that important.
Well, at least someone here understands...

Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Been a day since I checked in here! How is everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe