Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where's best place to live in Stockholm, Södermalm or Danderyd?
Södermalm 0 0%
Danderyd 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 AM

103 posts, read 100,930 times

Advertisements

Global Street Style Report: Mapping Out the 15 Coolest Neighborhoods in the World. 3/15 SÖDERMALM / STOCKHOLM / SWEDEN

In this day and age, “Cool” and “Stockholm” are essentially synonymous. Think: Acne Studios, long-lit summer nights, minimalistic armchairs. Imagine, then, how hip its coolest neighborhood must be. Enter Södermalm, an island just to the south of the city’s center, where one can find top-notch vintage boutiques like Grandpa (which also sells Swedish labels including Rodebjer and Dagmar) to a comprehensive 'zine shop, cheekily named Papercut. Young parents: be sure to stop by the buzzy Mini Rodini outpost on Nytorgsgatan, famed for its funky children’s wear.

Source: https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/fift...-neighborhoods

For the second year in a row, the municipality of Danderyd outside of Stockholm has been voted the best place in Sweden to live, according to a magazine’s annual ranking.

Source: https://www.thelocal.se/20090612/200...nual%20ranking.

The Stockholm suburb of Danderyd is the best municipality in which to live, according to a new ranking by the magazine Fokus.

Source: https://www.thelocal.se/20080612/12394

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 04:03 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,942 times
Danderyd has some of the lowest municipal income taxes I think, at around 29% of the monthly income. (Varies up to 34% I think around the country)
It's full of nicer upper class neighborhoods, very safe, very politically homogenous (center-right by Swedish standards), better than average schools etc.
It's also not adjacent to any real problem area, with some water-separation so there is little "overspill" of crime from any surroundings.
(Compared to Solnawhich is much to closer to Kista, Husby, Rissne, Rinkeby etc the infamous bombing/carfire and raping grounds, though by itself, Solna is quite nice).

I would say Danderyd is the kind of place you'd want if you have a family that you want to be safe, but you don't mind commuting in towards the city center about 20 minutes for work.
When people are depicted as "posh" in Sweden in media, either Danderyd or neighboring Lidingö is usually where they are from.
If you have a boat, this is probably a preferable place as well.

Södermalm is the home of about 30% of the countrys total population of journalists, More than 1 in every hundred people who live here is a journalist (That is a real fact, 10.4/1000 inhabitants).
Politically it's known for hard-left leanings, very high "green" vote, open borders, all that fun AOC stuff for the upper-class leftie who likes to pretend (s)he is hip blue-collar worker while making 3 times as much and drinking vegan lattes with space flight capabilities for $9 each every morning....(yes I am exaggerating slightly here, they're probably just $8)
I would say Södermalm is much friendlier if you don't have a car compared to Danderyd.

So depending on what you value you'd chose by that. It's probably quit obvious that I loathe a lot of what Södermalm is known for, so have my bias in mind, but I think they're two very different types of neighborhood, and hard to compare because if you value certain things in one of them, the other is probably not at all interesting for you anyway.
I would say younger people who can't afford paying hundreds of thousands $US for a tiny flat on Södermalm have the most to gain from living there (city-life, hippie places, appartment parties etc), but settled people who could afford to do so are probably better off in Danderyd (elementary schools, safety, order, homogeneity, nice quiet life).

Old 11-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Which is (more) liberal: Södermalm or Danderyd?

Old 11-23-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Foreigner View Post
Look, Sweden is the most liberal country in the world.
Lol that's nice.

Which has more amenities Södermalm or Danderyd?

Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Dragon View Post
Which is (more) liberal: Södermalm or Danderyd?
Depends, if you are liberal left aka funny hair colors, open borders & gay sex is a virtue, then södermalm.

If it's liberal right like freedom to move around and feel safe, mind your own business, nobody minding you owning a few rifles for hunting etc, then Danderyd.

I should probably mention that "left" and "right" here is a relative scale... that probably fits between Bernie Sanders and AOC for the most part...

Quote:
Lol that's nice.

Which has more amenities Södermalm or Danderyd?
Depends on what you mean. If it's people keeping boats and other luxurious stuff it's Danderyd, if it's public stuff like buses, subway, and access to malls, services etc it's Södermalm.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Depends, if you are liberal left aka funny hair colors, open borders & gay sex is a virtue, then södermalm.

If it's liberal right like freedom to move around and feel safe, mind your own business, nobody minding you owning a few rifles for hunting etc, then Danderyd.

I should probably mention that "left" and "right" here is a relative scale... that probably fits between Bernie Sanders and AOC for the most part...

Depends on what you mean. If it's people keeping boats and other luxurious stuff it's Danderyd, if it's public stuff like buses, subway, and access to malls, services etc it's Södermalm.
Which is more like LA?

Old 12-09-2020, 05:47 AM

Which place would be better to stay for a Week or Two in XMAS?

Old 12-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Which is more like LA?
I have never been to LA, but I can't think of similarities with either.

Quote:
Which place would be better to stay for a Week or Two in XMAS?
I would say it depends on what you are after, if it's winters markets and stuff then I guess Södermalm would be more handy.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I have never been to LA, but I can't think of similarities with either.

I would say it depends on what you are after, if it's winters markets and stuff then I guess Södermalm would be more handy.
Which place is more festive in XMAS?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieboy43 View Post
I like Rural Sweden. I vote Stragnas.
That wasn't an Option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe