Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 07:32 AM

25,036 posts, read 11,449,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Not really sure why the viewpoints of our TN neighbors would be of any importance to our own decision making, but TBH yes many are aware and share our same thoughts and opinions.

Had this exact conversation yesterday with a friend here, and he was in total agreement.

I think our distain for Americans comes from the “elitist” mentality that many here adopt simply because they’re American, and not because we believe that the grass is greener on the other (or any) side of the pond.

We simply asked are public spaces, parks and such in Europe kept up better than here in America, and have now turned into “anti Americans” which we are not.

This in many ways goes back to that American elitist mentality (aka ... being critical of anything American makes you an enemy of it), but to each their own as we do not apologize for our viewpoints and opinions as they are our own.

Being critical of Americans does not mean being anti-American. It simply means you have an opinion of them based off of time and experience.

Just as in the US - some are and some are not.

Whatever your personal interpretation of American Elitist Mentality is - you display it nicely here.
You are planning to move your family to a place you have never been to but with the finger on a map and expect it to be your personal clean green perfect little slice of heaven. Assuming that your employer will sort visa questions - please keep us posted.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 AM

902 posts, read 817,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
JWhatever your personal interpretation of American Elitist Mentality is - you display it nicely here. You are planning to move your family to a place you have never been to but with the finger on a map and expect it to be your personal clean green perfect little slice of heaven. Assuming that your employer will sort visa questions ...
And how is gathering opinions of an area before moving being an elitist? Please explain ...

Old 03-31-2021, 08:00 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,300,638 times
Quote:
And how is gathering opinions of an area before moving being an elitist? Please explain ...
It’s not the gathering opinions part, it is the I’m better than my neighbors part.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:18 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,591,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
If you have a problem with an elitist mentality, you might want to think long and hard about France. And imho, it is not warranted as far as the French are concerned. I personally have a real issue with the societal attitude towards women. But hey, you may think that the French are the best too and fit right in.
My thought exactly.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,591,398 times
Just took a look at the OP's other postings. It seems trash is a major issue in his life.
He used to live in Asheville, moved to TN, and continues to denigrate Asheville in the Western NC forum. Started a now closed thread titled Asheville to Thrashville.
I just read the first page, it did not go down well with the locals. He's accused of offering opinion as fact.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...rashville.html

Old 03-31-2021, 10:26 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,458,006 times
Quote:
You have nothing in common with anyone in the U.S. People in the U.S. don't have any passion for anything. There's no culture in the U.S. People in the U.S. don't care about their environment.

No, that's not elitist at all.

I'm sure the people of France, a country you've ever even seen in person and don't speak the language, will embrace you with open arms.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,502,925 times
Quote:
Not really sure why the viewpoints of our TN neighbors would be of any importance to our own decision making, but TBH yes many are aware and share our same thoughts and opinions.

Had this exact conversation yesterday with a friend here, and he was in total agreement.

I think our distain for Americans comes from the “elitist” mentality that many here adopt simply because they’re American, and not because we believe that the grass is greener on the other (or any) side of the pond.

We simply asked are public spaces, parks and such in Europe kept up better than here in America, and have now turned into “anti Americans” which we are not.

This in many ways goes back to that American elitist mentality (aka ... being critical of anything American makes you an enemy of it), but to each their own as we do not apologize for our viewpoints and opinions as they are our own.

Being critical of Americans does not mean being anti-American. It simply means you have an opinion of them based off of time and experience.
I haven't run up against any sort of pervasive "elitist" mentality that you're describing, in all my years of traveling and living all over the world, so there's that. I HAVE run into individuals who have an elitist mentality but I don't judge their entire country by the few individuals. Anywhere. (Except Austria but I digress - LOL.)

And you didn't simply ask if there are public spaces, etc - you went on to describe your overall mindset and that's what people are responding to. And being critical of Americans doesn't simply mean you have an opinion of them based off of time and experience. It CAN mean that but it can also mean so much more.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM

27,849 posts, read 28,980,029 times
Quote:
The problem is that you're trying to generalize about trash in a country that has 3.8 million square miles of land area based on what you saw on a few hiking trails somewhere in Tennessee.

I think you understand very well the difficulty of what you're proposing.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
You have nothing in common with anyone in the U.S. People in the U.S. don't have any passion for anything. There's no culture in the U.S. People in the U.S. don't care about their environment.

No, that's not elitist at all.

I'm sure the people of France, a country you've ever even seen in person and don't speak the language, will embrace you with open arms.
All of which are elitist statements? Wow, still not seeing it. Sorry but not sorry.

Getting that butt hurt over someone’s opinions just isn’t normal, but this is again the internet ... and well, nevermind.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't run up against any sort of pervasive "elitist" mentality that you're describing, in all my years of traveling and living all over the world, so there's that. I HAVE run into individuals who have an elitist mentality but I don't judge their entire country by the few individuals. Anywhere. (Except Austria but I digress - LOL.)

And you didn't simply ask if there are public spaces, etc - you went on to describe your overall mindset and that's what people are responding to. And being critical of Americans doesn't simply mean you have an opinion of them based off of time and experience. It CAN mean that but it can also mean so much more.
And you’re one opinion of many, many others and nothing else. We take from it what you choose to share and ignore the rest. Maybe consider doing the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe