Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,133,257 times

Advertisements

My background is partially Scandinavian, and my connection is recent--until about 20 years ago, I had older relatives from that country. I've been there and my name is Scandinavian (it's a common name, but I go by a nickname), but otherwise, I don't have much of a connection. I speak only a few words of the language.

I was recently working on a business transaction with people in Scandinavia. I didn't mention my Scandinavian connection, since I figured that it would be seen as racist pandering or idiotic. "Hi, my name is Ulf and my family is from Blekinge!"

One person on my side of the transaction (with ties to Scandinavia) said that I should definitely play up my Scandinavian heritage, since Scandinavians would trust me more.

Is that true: do people in Denmark, Norway and Sweden like to know of an American's or Canadian's Scandinavian background and ethnic ties to Scandinavia, even if the ties are just blood ties, and does that make the Scandinavian person trust the American/Canadian more?

I cannot imagine telling a group of English people with whom I do business that, "Hey, DNA testing says that I'm from near London! We're neighbors!" That would not go over well (and when I worked in Europe, I didn't care if any Europeans had American parents)--but it would work in Scandinavia?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 04:30 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Just be truthful and do honest business. That's what most people expect and respect.
Nobody cares about your DNA findings or roots that on that level are just laughable anyway. Crooks are everywhere, their background doesn't matter.

Quote:
One person on my side of the transaction (with ties to Scandinavia) said that I should definitely play up my Scandinavian heritage, since Scandinavians would trust me more.
This person is ignorant.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:36 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,199,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
My background is partially Scandinavian, and my connection is recent--until about 20 years ago, I had older relatives from that country. I've been there and my name is Scandinavian (it's a common name, but I go by a nickname), but otherwise, I don't have much of a connection. I speak only a few words of the language.
Danish, Norwegian or Swedish? I guess the latter.

Quote:
I was recently working on a business transaction with people in Scandinavia. I didn't mention my Scandinavian connection, since I figured that it would be seen as racist pandering or idiotic. "Hi, my name is Ulf and my family is from Blekinge!"
So you are of Swedish decent?

Quote:
Is that true: do people in Denmark, Norway and Sweden like to know of an American's or Canadian's Scandinavian background and ethnic ties to Scandinavia, even if the ties are just blood ties, and does that make the Scandinavian person trust the American/Canadian more?
Trust? Are you planning to scam someone?

Numerous of Americans are of Scandinavian decent. Unless you are directly related to someone, the average person would not be interested.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:43 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
I'm an American, you're an American. Does that make you trust me more than anyone else? Would you expect me to give you a better deal because we both have American heritage?

Old 09-01-2021, 05:10 PM

6,819 posts, read 4,267,083 times
It depends on how recent and strong the connection is. If for example your mother was born in Sweden then bringing it up certainly can help create a rapport (which is desired in all business conversations). If it's something like just DNA results or your descendants being immigrants from the 19th century then it's probably a stretch which might even be taken poorly as they might consider you a wannabe.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
I studied in Germany for a year. A Swedish student named Gustav lived in the same dormitory. We were chatting once- basically the "where ya from" kind of stuff. I mentioned that my grandmother's side came from Sweden. Gustav said that I should try to track down any relatives still in Sweden as "Swedes love to hear from their American cousins."

No idea if that is true as I have yet to try.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:34 PM

86 posts, read 45,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Danish, Norwegian or Swedish? I guess the latter.

So you are of Swedish decent?

Trust? Are you planning to scam someone?

Numerous of Americans are of Scandinavian decent. Unless you are directly related to someone, the average person would not be interested.
Americans of Scandinavian descent mostly have other ancestries aswell, so they are of mixed ancestry...

regardless of that, Scandinavians and other Europeans could care less what ancestry americans do have.. you are culturally American, and your mindset, culture and history has played a role in the formation of the US, not the respective european countries..

Old 12-11-2021, 09:50 AM

1,719 posts, read 733,836 times
Beyond a mild, polite interest, I don't think most Scandinavians would care.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:25 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:

I'm still stuck on the "racist pandering" idea.

Let me clarify: I assume you meant ethnic pandering.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:14 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,412 times
I wouldn't really care, if I was on the recieving end I would be like "Oh really?, how nice ", exchange some curtesies and that's pretty much it.

I think most scandinavians are too used to going to other countries on vacations and meeting every other restaurant and street salesman brag with their 4~ learned Swedish/Danish/Norwiegan phrases to get particularly engaged by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe