Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 02:46 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,326,466 times

Advertisements

Isn’t it just a point of interest?

I had to sign documents yesterday, had not met the solicitor before. Someone commented that I had a long signature. I responded that yes, it usually evokes some discussion. As it did again, as usual; was it Italian (yes) had husband been born here or there etc etc just as usual.

Went to a new accountant. Again, the name discussion happened as soon as we walked in the room and found out that his parents came from the same region of Italy as my husband.

Does it create a bond? Yes, to a certain extent but probably more of a rapport.

But perhaps Americans and Scandinavians are less prone to idle gossip than us. And maybe more politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 03:27 AM

529 posts, read 558,801 times
^
As an aside, I find what you wrote a bit odd, since married women in Italy do not take their husband’s surname (that should be true for most of Europe as well)

Old 12-18-2021, 07:34 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,228,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
^
As an aside, I find what you wrote a bit odd, since married women in Italy do not take their husband’s surname (that should be true for most of Europe as well)
She isn't in Italy.

In the US, it's similar. The US is a melting pot, but a common heritage creates an immediate rapport.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:36 AM

910 posts, read 370,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Isn’t it just a point of interest?

I had to sign documents yesterday, had not met the solicitor before. Someone commented that I had a long signature. I responded that yes, it usually evokes some discussion. As it did again, as usual; was it Italian (yes) had husband been born here or there etc etc just as usual.

Went to a new accountant. Again, the name discussion happened as soon as we walked in the room and found out that his parents came from the same region of Italy as my husband.

Does it create a bond? Yes, to a certain extent but probably more of a rapport.

But perhaps Americans and Scandinavians are less prone to idle gossip than us. And maybe more politically correct.
No, Americans are actually very in to it. I’m 71 with a long Italian last name, that of course ends in a vowel, and I get that all the time since I’ve been a kid. People will always tell you, oh that’s an Italian last name or I love Italian food. It runs the whole gambit, from my wife is Italian, to I was in Italy last year, and loved it, etc. Even my girl friend who owns a house around the corner from me in Southern California, and is Scandinavian/German ancestry, will tell me she loves Italian men like me. I say hun, my 4 grandparents were born in Toronto, I don't even speak Italian, I’m pretty far removed from Italy. Most of the time it is a positive, bonding, fun experience, creating a rapport, but a few times strangers will ask if you are in the mafia, or they want to talk about mafia figures, The Sopranos, The Godfather movies. Sometimes if I’m in the mood, I will have some fun with their ignorance.

Last edited by vindag; 12-19-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-19-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
^
It is less common here than in the past. One of my daughters has retained her surname and one hasn’t.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
No, Americans are actually very in to it. I’m 71 with a long Italian last name, that of course ends in a vowel, and I get that all the time since I’ve been a kid. People will always tell you, oh that’s an Italian last name or I love Italian food. It runs the whole gambit, from my wife is Italian, to I was in Italy last year, and loved it, etc. Even my girl friend who owns a house around the corner from me in Southern California, and is Scandinavian/German ancestry, will tell me she loves Italian men like me. I say hun, my 4 grandparents were born in Toronto, I don't even speak Italian, I’m pretty far removed from Italy. Most of the time it is a positive, bonding, fun experience, creating a rapport, but a few times strangers will ask if you are in the mafia, or they want to talk about mafia figures, The Sopranos, The Godfather movies. Sometimes if I’m in the mood, I will have some fun with their ignorance.
Oh we just joke about the Mafia connection. He was born in Mafia land.

But BIL, who was born here, is apt to reply to the question of where do you come from, saying Wollongong. Which tends to throw people out a bit.

It depends what mood you are in and whether you are in a hurry as to how you respond. My birth name was German but the family would say it was Welsh. It is a long story and not one you always wanted to go through.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:37 PM

910 posts, read 370,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Oh we just joke about the Mafia connection. He was born in Mafia land.

But BIL, who was born here, is apt to reply to the question of where do you come from, saying Wollongong. Which tends to throw people out a bit.

It depends what mood you are in and whether you are in a hurry as to how you respond. My birth name was German but the family would say it was Welsh. It is a long story and not one you always wanted to go through.
Yes I remember reading the reason why your grandfather said he was Welsh. My grandfather was placed in an internment camp during WW2 in Ontario, for the sole reason he had an Italian last name, and was a successful business man that owed several businesses in Toronto. He was a Canadian citizen “subject of the crown” born in Toronto, and served in the Canadian military during WW1. While he was in the internment camp, his 2 sons (my uncles) served in the Canadian army during WW2. The RCMP would normally come and arrest you and take you right to the camp with no trial. My grandfather was given a sham trial, where there was no evidence that he was connected to Mussolini or even sympathetic to him. He was never convicted of a crime. Most were held in the internment camp the entire duration of the war, but my grandfather was only in for 9 months. He was friends with a Canadian General, who when he found out my grandfather was in the internment camp, demanded that he be released immediately.

Last edited by vindag; 12-19-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-19-2021, 10:06 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
My background is partially Scandinavian, and my connection is recent--until about 20 years ago, I had older relatives from that country. I've been there and my name is Scandinavian (it's a common name, but I go by a nickname), but otherwise, I don't have much of a connection. I speak only a few words of the language.

I was recently working on a business transaction with people in Scandinavia. I didn't mention my Scandinavian connection, since I figured that it would be seen as racist pandering or idiotic. "Hi, my name is Ulf and my family is from Blekinge!"

One person on my side of the transaction (with ties to Scandinavia) said that I should definitely play up my Scandinavian heritage, since Scandinavians would trust me more.

Is that true: do people in Denmark, Norway and Sweden like to know of an American's or Canadian's Scandinavian background and ethnic ties to Scandinavia, even if the ties are just blood ties, and does that make the Scandinavian person trust the American/Canadian more?

I cannot imagine telling a group of English people with whom I do business that, "Hey, DNA testing says that I'm from near London! We're neighbors!" That would not go over well (and when I worked in Europe, I didn't care if any Europeans had American parents)--but it would work in Scandinavia?

Thanks.
Part Scandinavian too. In my experience, Americans put more stock in that sort of thing, and find it so interesting when they meet a Scandinavian. Swedes and Norwegians have a little competition going on. They slight one another, occasionally. In general, I think most of it is friendly ribbing.

Scandinavians and other Europeans just see us as "Americans".

Old 12-20-2021, 07:23 AM

3,509 posts, read 2,856,083 times
They could bond over lutefisk.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:48 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,228,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
They could bond over lutefisk.
OR NOT!

I'll have a kringle and you can have lutefisk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe