Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,118,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
Women shouldn’t work.
They were created to cook, raise children and keep the house clean.
That ‘s what we Europeans think.
We love housewives
You sound like the Taliban!

Seriously, I don't think Europe is any different from the USA in terms of views of women. My Italian in-laws have working wives. I've was a US stay-at-home mom and most of my friends were stay-at-home moms.

Haters are going to hate! As a stay-at-home mom or a working mom (because they get plenty of hate too) learn to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Europeans tend to be like that, the lot of them. They just maybe find it weird that a woman weds a house. Just saying.

Last edited by BOORGONG; 09-16-2021 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,432 times
Not at all!
I am 40 and i know moms, taking care of their children. Nobody judge them, only if the men are really stupid, excuse my direct exprimation. But in my country, and, lately in many countries from EU is a kind of privilege to take care ur baby at home. Usually, one income is not enough and when u dedicate your time to any kind, the real reason should be love and devotion, the willness, not an extra income from state

But no, they are not judged or called stupid or lazy.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:28 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,506 times
I think in southern Europe it's probably more common to have a housewife, but in northern Europe it's really not common, unless a substantial part of the income is through welfare, but those people are usually from other continents.

The difference is the share of wallet necessary for certain parts of the family economy.
In countries where the government wants to replace the family, taxes tend to be very high, meaning there is not much left after a mortgage and income taxes and food.

For example a median Swedish salary a year or two ago was 32500 SEK/month (roughly $4000), meaning 22700 SEK after taxes (roughly $2700).
Let's say the interest+mortgage+monthly fee in a normal BRF (Association-co-owned apartment home, where the owners in turn own a % of the apartment complex like a company) of 54 squaremeters (roughly 580 square feet) in Stockholm would be 10.000-15.000 SEK, leaving roughly 10.000 SEK left. ($1200)

Fitting food for the family, clothes for kid(s) etc on 1200~~ $, I mean it's doable, but it wont be comfortable. Kids need a lot of crap, they can't just run around in the woods and play with sticks all the time.

The practical solution for all this is usually that both parents work and pay daycare, to give the family some sense of economic freedom to do normal stuff and have some kind of surplus.

This combined with the fact that most household chores are automated today by laundry machines, dishwashers, robot vacuum cleaners etc, yes Housewives do get the lazy-label.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapi2233 View Post
Not at all!
I am 40 and i know moms, taking care of their children. Nobody judge them, only if the men are really stupid, excuse my direct exprimation. But in my country, and, lately in many countries from EU is a kind of privilege to take care ur baby at home. Usually, one income is not enough and when u dedicate your time to any kind, the real reason should be love and devotion, the willness, not an extra income from state

But no, they are not judged or called stupid or lazy.
This is what began to change in the USA in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Only one income was needed until then, then costs went up. Europe is simply experiencing the same thing and has been for a while.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:52 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
This is what began to change in the USA in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Only one income was needed until then, then costs went up. Europe is simply experiencing the same thing and has been for a while.
Only one income was needed back then, for families where one parent had a professional degree (usually the father). Families where the parents only had HS degrees (or less) needed two wage earners. Even with a BA, one wasn't always sure of getting a job that paid well enough to support an entire family on one paycheck, depending on local COL, but some families managed.

Some families back then had 3 wage-earners, or even 4: one or both parents worked, and both grandparents had to earn their keep, too. In immigrant families, people took whatever jobs they could, and every adult contribution was needed. Same in quite a few non-immigrant families. Back then, it wasn't that common for people to have college degrees.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:23 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Only one income was needed back then, for families where one parent had a professional degree (usually the father). Families where the parents only had HS degrees (or less) needed two wage earners. Even with a BA, one wasn't always sure of getting a job that paid well enough to support an entire family on one paycheck, depending on local COL, but some families managed.

Some families back then had 3 wage-earners, or even 4: one or both parents worked, and both grandparents had to earn their keep, too. In immigrant families, people took whatever jobs they could, and every adult contribution was needed. Same in quite a few non-immigrant families. Back then, it wasn't that common for people to have college degrees.
I beg to differ. My parents and grandparents had no degree. I have a measly AA. SO has a ridiculously expensive trade certification the equivalent of a PhD and then some; actually a hobby. My inlaws - I am not sure if they got a HS diploma. Nobody worked or works a job that does not pay well or requires a second income to allow a comfortable life on either side of the pond. To address COL - Munich, Seattle, DC, some Near East locations.

Old 10-30-2021, 01:24 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I think in southern Europe it's probably more common to have a housewife, but in northern Europe it's really not common, unless a substantial part of the income is through welfare, but those people are usually from other continents.

The difference is the share of wallet necessary for certain parts of the family economy.
In countries where the government wants to replace the family, taxes tend to be very high, meaning there is not much left after a mortgage and income taxes and food.

For example a median Swedish salary a year or two ago was 32500 SEK/month (roughly $4000), meaning 22700 SEK after taxes (roughly $2700).
Let's say the interest+mortgage+monthly fee in a normal BRF (Association-co-owned apartment home, where the owners in turn own a % of the apartment complex like a company) of 54 squaremeters (roughly 580 square feet) in Stockholm would be 10.000-15.000 SEK, leaving roughly 10.000 SEK left. ($1200)

Fitting food for the family, clothes for kid(s) etc on 1200~~ $, I mean it's doable, but it wont be comfortable. Kids need a lot of crap, they can't just run around in the woods and play with sticks all the time.

The practical solution for all this is usually that both parents work and pay daycare, to give the family some sense of economic freedom to do normal stuff and have some kind of surplus.

This combined with the fact that most household chores are automated today by laundry machines, dishwashers, robot vacuum cleaners etc, yes Housewives do get the lazy-label.
Laundry machines? I have friends who actually moved to Sweden and are crying about the health system and its shortcomings.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:24 AM

27,142 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post

Do Europeans look down upon housewives ?
It depends how tall they are.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:06 PM

157 posts, read 105,149 times
EU housewives are more common than modern US.... I've lived both places.

I've never seen a place in the US where women are shamed like men are for not working, and I've lived all over the lower fourty-eight for half a century...

When a man suddenly can't pay for things it's not the same as when a female can't... A man becomes a homeless person and it's anti-[enter country here] for them to be allowed to eat or sleep... They are put in cages if they are caught eating your garbage or if they are visible to civilization...

That being said... I have great respect for females who are independent of men even under hardship. I'm not going to lie because the deceptive glutton hordes punish critique, though...

Last edited by 24gf424g; 10-31-2021 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe