Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 07:29 PM

150 posts, read 155,782 times

Advertisements

I live here in USA and my cousin is a homemaker/housewife. She tells me that people often make rude comments to her. For example, some people call her stuff like lazy, useless, has no ambitions etc.

It’s so sad how society looks down on women who want to primarily focus on their children rather than money/career here in USA. What do Europeans think of women who choose to be housewives/homemakers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 06:21 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
I live here in USA and my cousin is a homemaker/housewife. She tells me that people often make rude comments to her. For example, some people call her stuff like lazy, useless, has no ambitions etc.

It’s so sad how society looks down on women who want to primarily focus on their children rather than money/career here in USA. What do Europeans think of women who choose to be housewives/homemakers?
My wife works outside the house while I can run my business from home so I take care of our two kids, let me tell you.

Rearing kids is the toughest job I've ever had ,I don't know how my own mother managed it in the seventies and eighties, five of us and my father did nothing to help

Old 09-12-2021, 07:25 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
My wife works outside the house while I can run my business from home so I take care of our two kids, let me tell you.

Rearing kids is the toughest job I've ever had ,I don't know how my own mother managed it in the seventies and eighties, five of us and my father did nothing to help
Preach, Brother Bob!

I tired of hearing people who've never had kids or never taken care of kids full-time refer to stay-at-home moms or dads as "lazy." Anyone who's cared for kids full-time knows that most other jobs are easy in comparison.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Some men want their wives to do both-take care of the family and work as well,these days you do need 2 incomes to get by.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:39 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Women like that deserve medals. Moms are nurses, chefs, housemaids, teachers, veterinarians, councilors, keepers of the peace and managers of chaos plus a few other skills I can't think of right now.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:46 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
These days you do need 2 incomes to get by.
That's a blanket statement that is no more true today, than it was true in the past that every family got along fine with one income. There have always been families with two working parents, and there have always been and still are families with a stay-at-home parent.

We have three kids and my brother- and sister-in-law have two, all five born in the early 2000s. We live in the US, and I stayed home with my kids; they live in Germany and they both worked. It wasn't always easy and Europe is not necessarily the paradise for working parents that Americans assume. For example, in Germany, the daycares and preschools close every year for for the entire month of August. If you have two working parents and can't arrange to have stay one home during August, you are out of luck. For a number of years, my brother-in-law resorted to resorted to flying the grandparents over from the US to stay at their house and babysit during that month.

Last edited by saibot; 09-12-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-12-2021, 09:08 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
I am European and never have looked down on working Moms. I do have to mention that my wife who is American, came from a family where the Mothers also stayed at home. The rest of "my" family in Europe all have "stay at home" moms (of my generation) and the next generation is two-income families.

When we got married in the early '70s, we agreed that she would stop working after she got pregnant after about 4 months maybe, so that she could prepare to be a Full Time Mom. Financially it was hard on us but we adapted. She did not go back to work until all the kids were out of High School, and then only worked part-time...

All our 5 kids are now doing very well, and we would say maybe better than when we were just married. They all have advanced degrees and have created their own families. They attended university in the same place where we lived, so all the kids lived at home until they were finished with their Uni studies.

I admit that the success of our kids is not a result of me raising them, but entirely the result of their Mother being Home for them always.

On weekends, I helped taking care of the kids especially when they were babies and toddlers and took over many house chores. During the week I worked at least 10 hours or more a day to make ends meet...

Sadly, I have to say that our kids are now more like all other families in the USA. The Moms work part-time just to get out and do stuff... Why I have no idea but I guess, if everybody around you lives like that, you do the same thing?

Last edited by irman; 09-12-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-12-2021, 12:00 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's a blanket statement that is no more true today, than it was true in the past that every family got along fine with one income. There have always been families with two working parents, and there have always been and still are families with a stay-at-home parent.

We have three kids and my brother- and sister-in-law have two, all five born in the early 2000s. We live in the US, and I stayed home with my kids; they live in Germany and they both worked. It wasn't always easy and Europe is not necessarily the paradise for working parents that Americans assume. For example, in Germany, the daycares and preschools close every year for for the entire month of August. If you have two working parents and can't arrange to have stay one home during August, you are out of luck. For a number of years, my brother-in-law resorted to resorted to flying the grandparents over from the US to stay at their house and babysit during that month.
Is that your sis in Ok?
Plenty of summer options in Germany without using friends and family.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:34 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Is that your sis in Ok?
Plenty of summer options in Germany without using friends and family.
No, my husband’s brother.

I don’t know about options since I don’t live there, but there didn’t seem to be many for them with their preschoolers. When the kids were older it didn’t seem to be a problem any more.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:18 PM

529 posts, read 556,295 times
Women shouldn’t work.
They were created to cook, raise children and keep the house clean.
That ‘s what we Europeans think.
We love housewives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe