Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 06:33 AM

419 posts, read 342,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
I live here in USA and my cousin is a homemaker/housewife. She tells me that people often make rude comments to her. For example, some people call her stuff like lazy, useless, has no ambitions etc.

It’s so sad how society looks down on women who want to primarily focus on their children rather than money/career here in USA. What do Europeans think of women who choose to be housewives/homemakers?
In Europe, this thing is called "bullying", and bullying is disgusting

Her own life is nobody's business, and the only people who should feel shame, are those who make such comments, her life and choices are nobody's business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 07:52 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
I live here in USA and my cousin is a homemaker/housewife. She tells me that people often make rude comments to her. For example, some people call her stuff like lazy, useless, has no ambitions etc.
I can only imagine they're jealous. Lots of people wish they didn't have to work outside the home, or work at all.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:27 PM

2,356 posts, read 1,152,159 times
Only the really short ones.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:18 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Laundry machines? I have friends who actually moved to Sweden and are crying about the health system and its shortcomings.
Sure, but those are separate problems, a house wife does not tend to perform examinations or surgery as part of her housekeeping duties. Hence the shortcomings of our healthcare system doesn't seem relevant for whether or not a house wife can be motivated from a utility standpoint.
A laundry machine does a high percentage of the work that a housewife would do in the old days.

With that said, yes our healthcare system is clearly declining and has been for a while, mainly due to poor political decisions in the past 3-4 decades.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:41 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
My wife works outside the house while I can run my business from home so I take care of our two kids, let me tell you.

Rearing kids is the toughest job I've ever had ,I don't know how my own mother managed it in the seventies and eighties, five of us and my father did nothing to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Preach, Brother Bob!

I tired of hearing people who've never had kids or never taken care of kids full-time refer to stay-at-home moms or dads as "lazy." Anyone who's cared for kids full-time knows that most other jobs are easy in comparison.
It is a tough job - I was a stay-at-home Mum when I had my daughter. There was the constant feeding, the constant changing, the trying to get off to sleep, the screaming, the crying… and that was just me! .

I’ve got into discussions about this before, ages ago, on one of the other C-D forums. Some of the posters there said things such as “You don’t have any other skills”, when I said that I’d looked after my own child. As if I had never done anything else with my life, other than having a child.

It was mostly other women b*tching, to be honest. I don’t know if it was those who’d never had kids, or those who hadn’t looked after their kids full-time, or what.

There are jobs that are easy compared to looking after a child full-time! I’ve been in jobs where you just go in, do a bit of work, have a chat, have lunch, do a bit more work… then come home. When you are looking after a child at home, there are no breaks, no-one to chat to, no-one to go out and have a nice lunch with… you have to keep an eye on your child constantly.

Having said that, it is a rewarding thing to do. I had my daughter walking, talking, reading and writing in no time. And we had lots of fun together. I’m so glad that I was able to look after her, myself.

Last edited by Star10101; 11-07-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 02:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
One of my Danish relatives, a cousin, gave up her career as an architect to be a stay at home wife, mother, and homemaker. According to her, no one in Denmark bullied or looked down at her (at least to her face), but her decision was met with polite, genuine puzzlement from women; men didn't seem to care one way or another, except for mild jokes about her husband being lucky enough to have his own private "secretary," "cook," etc.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:15 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
One of my Danish relatives, a cousin, gave up her career as an architect to be a stay at home wife, mother, and homemaker. According to her, no one in Denmark bullied or looked down at her (at least to her face), but her decision was met with polite, genuine puzzlement from women; men didn't seem to care one way or another, except for mild jokes about her husband being lucky enough to have his own private "secretary," "cook," etc.
That’s what I have found - men are not really bothered about what jobs women do, or whether they want to stay at home and look after their child. But some (not all) women do seem to be bothered about other people’s jobs.

There are some women who are not interested in a man unless they have a “good job” - I sometimes read about this, on the Relationships Forum. It probably has something to do with status, and the amount of money they are earning.

Then there are some women, who make negative comments about other women, who choose to stay at home and look after their own child. Personally, I don’t care if someone wants to make comments about the fact that I was a stay-at-home Mum. I did what I thought was best for me and my daughter.

This was decided by me from an early age, as I realised that a child bonds with the person who looks after them in their early years. I had my Nan looking after me from birth, until I went to school, when I was four and a half.

I remember being asked whether I wanted to go to Nursery School at one point, and feeling very angry at this, and I said that I wanted to stay with my Nan. I had such a lovely time with my Nan, that I ended up having a better relationship with her, than with my own mother.

Old 11-13-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
That’s what I have found - men are not really bothered about what jobs women do, or whether they want to stay at home and look after their child. But some (not all) women do seem to be bothered about other people’s jobs.

There are some women who are not interested in a man unless they have a “good job” - I sometimes read about this, on the Relationships Forum. It probably has something to do with status, and the amount of money they are earning.

Then there are some women, who make negative comments about other women, who choose to stay at home and look after their own child. Personally, I don’t care if someone wants to make comments about the fact that I was a stay-at-home Mum. I did what I thought was best for me and my daughter.

This was decided by me from an early age, as I realised that a child bonds with the person who looks after them in their early years. I had my Nan looking after me from birth, until I went to school, when I was four and a half.

I remember being asked whether I wanted to go to Nursery School at one point, and feeling very angry at this, and I said that I wanted to stay with my Nan. I had such a lovely time with my Nan, that I ended up having a better relationship with her, than with my own mother.
This is true. Men in general don't seem to care about women's choices unless it affects them (men) directly or unless a man has a specific agenda he wants his partner to fulfill.

Far too many women judge and criticize other women for their choices, especially regarding marriage and children. "When are you getting engaged?" "When are you getting married?" "When are you going to have a child?" "When are you going to have another child?" "WHERE ARE MY GRANDCHILDREN?" It never ends.

Many women are then put into the work/stay at home conundrum. If you have children and work outside the home, you're not giving your children enough time and close bonding. If you have children and stay at home, you're dumb, lazy, and financially leeching off your partner or government funding. So, a woman can't win!

My only objection to mothers who work outside the home is that they're often late to arrive, early to leave, are given first pick of holidays and time off, and expect other employees to pick up their slack.

I'm glad you had such a close, loving relationship with your Nan. It sounds like it was lovely!

Old 11-13-2021, 03:39 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
This is true. Men in general don't seem to care about women's choices unless it affects them (men) directly or unless a man has a specific agenda he wants his partner to fulfill.

Far too many women judge and criticize other women for their choices, especially regarding marriage and children. "When are you getting engaged?" "When are you getting married?" "When are you going to have a child?" "When are you going to have another child?" "WHERE ARE MY GRANDCHILDREN?" It never ends.

Many women are then put into the work/stay at home conundrum. If you have children and work outside the home, you're not giving your children enough time and close bonding. If you have children and stay at home, you're dumb, lazy, and financially leeching off your partner or government funding. So, a woman can't win!

My only objection to mothers who work outside the home is that they're often late to arrive, early to leave, are given first pick of holidays and time off, and expect other employees to pick up their slack.

I'm glad you had such a close, loving relationship with your Nan. It sounds like it was lovely!
You stereotype 101 here

Old 11-13-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You stereotype 101 here
I'm going by my direct observations and experiences. Yours may be different than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe