Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 04:46 PM

11,672 posts, read 12,810,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This is a question only the OP can answer. It depends on her education - my daughter graduated from U of Pittsburgh with a MA in Teaching. NYS accepts Pitts' credentials - no problem.

She'll need to fulfill her NYS credentials, apply to NYC schools, sell her home/car, all of which takes time. She can take vacations in NYC in the meantime.

NYC doesn't have to be her final destination - it can be a halfway step to Paris. A NYC teaching position will enhance her resume anyway.

I think my twenties were the hardest time of my life. I had a job and boyfriends/dating, but it wasn't a life plan - more like treading water.

She doesn't need the perfect plan. She needs some doable goals to get out of her rut. It could be a plan to move to NYC and then perhaps Paris.

For a graduate degree, it depends on her undergraduate student loan debt amount and how much more debt she is willing to take on.

Hunter College (in NYC) is known for its teaching education. There are evening programs. I know someone who attended Hunter and found an inexpensive room to rent through the college.
https://education.hunter.cuny.edu/ad...uate-programs/.

While in NYC, there are French language courses (which duo lingual can't compare to). The OP might make connects at these courses which could help her move to Paris.

https://fiaf.org/frenchclasses/
https://coucoufrenchclasses.com
https://www.lfny.org.
Of course, NYS accepted the U of Pittsburgh credits. U of Pittsburgh is an accredited school. That's only half of the process. The OP would still need to take the slew of NYS tests that are only offered in NYS, including submitting a video of teaching in the classroom plus the explanation of the process. These tests are only offered certain times of the year. However, this is not the teaching forum. If the OP is interested, she can send me a DM and I can steer her in the application process for the NYC DOE. Hunter College is cheap for students after first establishing a one year New York State residency. Out of state students pay much more.

There are literally hundreds of places to study French in the NYC area. NYC has a large French population and there are several groups in-person and online where she can practice her skills individually or in a group. Again, if interested, the OP can send me a DM. I would suggest that the OP should subscribe to French Monthly for information about les francais en New York,as well as information about France. Coincidentally, I just attended a meeting through French Monthly about the global use of French and there was a speaker talking about the use of (proper French, not Cajun) throughout LA.

As far as bosses, there are just as many toxic bosses in France as there are in the US. Yes, employees get more time off, universal healthcare which isn't as good as it used to be, and free childcare. But OP, please make sure you are well-acquainted with the French lifestyle, expenses, and quality of life before making such a big move, unless you decide to go as a student. Some things are better and some things are worse. It's not just the language, you also have to be familiar with gestures, facial expressions and nonverbal ways of communication, otherwise you could end up unintentionally insulting someone. And if the OP is actually thinking of teaching English in France, she should get her TEFOL certification first. The OP should be aware that the major cities in France now have a large immigrant population of various cultures. Do you pay attention to French politics and are aware of current political national issues? Is your French good enough to read online journals to get more information? How about your German?

Do what your heart tells you to do, but please make sure your eyes are wide open.

Would you be interested in living in New Zealand? They are looking for teachers and pre-pandemic, they would help with relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 09:10 AM

7,563 posts, read 4,297,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The OP would still need to take the slew of NYS tests that are only offered in NYS, including submitting a video of teaching in the classroom plus the explanation of the process. These tests are only offered certain times of the year.

If the OP is interested, she can send me a DM and I can steer her in the application process for the NYC DOE. Hunter College is cheap for students after first establishing a one year New York State residency. Out of state students pay much more.

There are literally hundreds of places to study French in the NYC area. NYC has a large French population and there are several groups in-person and online where she can practice her skills individually or in a group. Again, if interested, the OP can send me a DM.

I would suggest that the OP should subscribe to French Monthly for information about les francais en New York, as well as information about France. Coincidentally, I just attended a meeting through French Monthly about the global use of French and there was a speaker talking about the use of (proper French, not Cajun) throughout LA.

As far as bosses, there are just as many toxic bosses in France as there are in the US. Yes, employees get more time off, universal healthcare which isn't as good as it used to be, and free childcare. But OP, please make sure you are well-acquainted with the French lifestyle, expenses, and quality of life before making such a big move, unless you decide to go as a student. Some things are better and some things are worse. It's not just the language, you also have to be familiar with gestures, facial expressions and nonverbal ways of communication, otherwise you could end up unintentionally insulting someone. And if the OP is actually thinking of teaching English in France, she should get her TEFOL certification first.

The OP should be aware that the major cities in France now have a large immigrant population of various cultures. Do you pay attention to French politics and are aware of current political national issues? Is your French good enough to read online journals to get more information? How about your German?

Do what your heart tells you to do, but please make sure your eyes are wide open.

Would you be interested in living in New Zealand? They are looking for teachers and pre-pandemic, they would help with relocation.
That's a very generous offer to help the OP!

So yes, there are big differences between cultures. I don't know about France, but I've heard on-job sexual advances are more common in Italy.

You given her a road map - it's a great start for her!

Old 05-08-2022, 03:54 PM

24,939 posts, read 11,378,751 times
Quote:
That's a very generous offer to help the OP!

So yes, there are big differences between cultures. I don't know about France, but I've heard on-job sexual advances are more common in Italy.

You given her a road map - it's a great start for her!
What do you base that statement on?

Old 05-09-2022, 09:26 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,611,551 times
Quote:
Of course, NYS accepted the U of Pittsburgh credits. U of Pittsburgh is an accredited school. That's only half of the process. The OP would still need to take the slew of NYS tests that are only offered in NYS, including submitting a video of teaching in the classroom plus the explanation of the process. These tests are only offered certain times of the year. However, this is not the teaching forum. If the OP is interested, she can send me a DM and I can steer her in the application process for the NYC DOE. Hunter College is cheap for students after first establishing a one year New York State residency. Out of state students pay much more.

There are literally hundreds of places to study French in the NYC area. NYC has a large French population and there are several groups in-person and online where she can practice her skills individually or in a group. Again, if interested, the OP can send me a DM. I would suggest that the OP should subscribe to French Monthly for information about les francais en New York,as well as information about France. Coincidentally, I just attended a meeting through French Monthly about the global use of French and there was a speaker talking about the use of (proper French, not Cajun) throughout LA.

As far as bosses, there are just as many toxic bosses in France as there are in the US. Yes, employees get more time off, universal healthcare which isn't as good as it used to be, and free childcare. But OP, please make sure you are well-acquainted with the French lifestyle, expenses, and quality of life before making such a big move, unless you decide to go as a student. Some things are better and some things are worse. It's not just the language, you also have to be familiar with gestures, facial expressions and nonverbal ways of communication, otherwise you could end up unintentionally insulting someone. And if the OP is actually thinking of teaching English in France, she should get her TEFOL certification first. The OP should be aware that the major cities in France now have a large immigrant population of various cultures. Do you pay attention to French politics and are aware of current political national issues? Is your French good enough to read online journals to get more information? How about your German?

Yes, I make an effort to pay attention to international politics. I'm pleased that Germany replaced the Grand Coalition with Traffic Light, though I think Red-Red-Green would have been even better. Macron is better than Le Pen, but I would have preferred Mélenchon. I'd only consider myself semi-fluent in French, Spanish, and German. I'm nowhere near as fluent in those three languages as I am in English, but I know some simple phrases in those other languages. I'm trying to master those three, but I'm working on French, first. I'd definitely be interested in PM'ing you to learn more about the NYC DOE application process.

By the way, while I am often mistaken as female online, I'm actually male. Considering a I've had real life people tell me I'm a feminine man, though, I must give off feminine body language or something without really consciously intending to.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:14 AM

7,563 posts, read 4,297,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
By the way, while I am often mistaken as female online, I'm actually male. Considering a I've had real life people tell me I'm a feminine man, though, I must give off feminine body language or something without really consciously intending to.
I assume most people online are women - because I am a woman. What people think has little to do with the poster and more to do about themselves. As for reality, it might be you have poodles instead of pitbulls. Whatever people think - which usually doesn't mean much.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I assume most people online are women - because I am a woman. What people think has little to do with the poster and more to do about themselves. As for reality, it might be you have poodles instead of pitbulls. Whatever people think - which usually doesn't mean much.
Thank you for partipating in the thread, and hopefully your advice works for me.

Poodles vs pitbulls brings up a good point: a lot of things seem pointlessly gendered when they don't need to be. I just like what I like, and I've never understood why that offends people. Part of it could be the conservative-churchy culture here in Louisiana, though. People where I live now seem to get more and more unhinged as time goes on.

Last edited by Magic Qwan; 05-09-2022 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2022, 11:24 AM

102,400 posts, read 108,748,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
So an American who's thinking of relocating overseas is worthy of scorn simply for doing so ?
It depends on why they're considering relocating. For ex., we've had a number of posters over the years say they want to move to Europe, asking how hard is it to get a job, but they don't speak any foreign languages, and think they can just catch a flight over there, and start looking for jobs. No clue about the need for a residency visa, about only certain skills/professions opening the door to a residency visa, about job applications being in a language foreign to them.

Then there are the ones, who say they want to move to Europe to get "free stuff". Seriously, we get inquiries like that. Though it's been awhile since the last one, mercifully.

The OP wants to move to Europe, because he's unhappy with the fetid swamp of a state in which he lives. He doesn't know any foreign languages (that we're aware of), yet he wants to move to a non-English-speaking country to continue his teaching career there. Does that sound realistic to you? But he has other, more fundamental issues to resolve before he can take a huge, life-changing leap. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as he puts together a plan to address those, and takes care of personal business before moving to the next stage in life.

Furthermore, he doesn't need to leave the US to get out of his swamp. He has many choices in the US, even if he narrows down the options to locations where the RE is low-cost, with a liberal environment. It's doable.

The suggestion to try to get a teaching job on a military base in Europe might actually be doable, too, if he thinks he could fit into a military environment. That would be something to give some thought to, considering that he says he requires a liberal environment.

But if the OP wants to move overseas to escape his personal problems at home, that's not going to work. The personal issues are part of his baggage. They'll be part of the luggage he takes with him. Step 1 of his multi-year plan should be to address those. This is also doable. The sooner he starts on that, the sooner he can get to the next items on the to-do list, on his path to realizing his dreams. And he just might discover, that while he's in that healing process, his dreams change of their own accord.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 AM

24,939 posts, read 11,378,751 times
Ruth - OT - Why is Louisiana more of a swamp than Cali?

Old 05-09-2022, 02:54 PM

102,400 posts, read 108,748,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Ruth - OT - Why is Louisiana more of a swamp than Cali?
Geography. I'm talking geography.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:

New Zealand speaks English and I considered doing a working holiday visa there in the past. I'm still technically young enough for that. I'd be honestly looking for a more permanent move, though. Since the pandemic seems to be drawing to a close, I may do a working holiday either this (usa) summer or next (usa) summer. See how I like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe