Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 03:51 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
I very much doubt the ex-Jugo countries will be hurt in the long term by their supposed lack of hospitality.
Most of the tourists vacationing there come from either German-speaking countries or Italy or neighbouring states such as Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia… and the overwhelming majority of these tourists are perfectly fine with the way they are treated
In the case of Dubrovnik, I wouldn’t be so sure, the extortionate prices are bound to deter cost conscious German tourists, never been to a place as gratuitously expensive as that city. A pith as it’s incredibly beautiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
It's all fine and well if you dislike traveling to/in Slavic countries of course , but I must say that making the statement that their hospitality sectors will most certainly be hard hit by the supposed inability of Slavs to act in a welcoming manner is quite a stretch , particularly since international tourism has existed in these countries for at least 30 odd years now and shows no signs of abating in the manner in which you claim .

As an aside , there are no doubt plenty of people who have had negative experiences in the ROI ( including hospitality industry related ones ) and while one should never discount essentially unverifiable claims off hand , it would be more than reasonable for you as an Irish resident to challenge such claims should you wish to do so .

Particularly if they happened to be quite outlandish , as ( and I really mean no offense here ) claiming that people working in the hospitality/customer service industry of all sectors are incapable as such of acting in a welcoming manner in country XYZ is quite fantastic IMHO , particularly in this day and age of vastly expanded tourism and the attendant spread of American derived behavioral norms relating to it .
We are famous for our warm hospitality, we have to be as the weather is so unreliable

Old 10-08-2023, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,013 times
In general, the Balkan countries tend to be very welcoming to tourists, but remember that history divides Croatia and Serbia (and you need to know how to behave here). In addition, there is currently a sharp dispute between Serbia and Kosovo, where another war is just around the corner. As a matter of fact, these countries are really open to tourism, cheap and have a rich tourist infrastructure. The best in this respect, in my opinion, is Croatia, here I encourage you to take a yacht cruise around some of the islands in the Adriatic, including Susak and Dubrovnik (interestingly, in this place, where they filmed Game of Thrones - harbour).

Old 10-08-2023, 09:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Just last night we were talking with some of our American friends who went to Croatia three years ago. They told us they never encountered rude or substandard service people. Their experience was quite satisfying.

They did, however, encounter some rude people when they drove through a short stretch of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:29 AM

536 posts, read 611,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They did, however, encounter some rude people when they drove through a short stretch of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
This means very little, it is one experience, not even stopping and staying but just driving through. I went to Bosnia twice and STAYED and both times met only very nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRadford View Post
cheap
This is becoming less and less true. Costs/Cost of living in Belgrade is absolutely sky rocketing. Costs in stores like Maxi where people get groceries, some prices have doubled, and rent is going up rapidly. Eating out isn't as "cheap' as it used to be, costs have gone up, but not always quality.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:20 PM

21 posts, read 5,552 times
rude to american everything is rude if you do not interact like they do in movies hi hi we friends already i fake care about how you got here. most balkans are ok you came to see cities beaches nature ok i leave you alone because believe it or not i have true friends over here that i need to know how their day is going and it is not just balkan they have problem with not being asked about everything like they re kids

Old 10-18-2023, 03:19 AM

By the way, I’m not saying that Balkan folk aren’t fine people, I’m only making commentary within the context of customer service culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe