Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM

85 posts, read 627,966 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

In 5 years I am planning on retiring from my job (based in New York, but spend a lot of time in the UK too) and settling down to a more peaceful life. Lately, while trying to decide on the perfect location to call home in the year 2013 or 2014, whenever, I have decided on France. I could go into a big long explanation of my reasons for this, but I won't, because who really cares?

Anyway, if anyone on here is French, or has lived in France, could you please give me hints on what cities to see (I need to spend the next half decade exploring the country) and the major positive and negative aspects of life there. I don't have any real specific questions yet, but when I do I'll ask them. I'm just looking for general observations and opinions.

Thanks.

Just so you know, I speak French, have studied French history, and have been to France before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM

476 posts, read 2,818,440 times
The south of France:Cannes,Nice,Aix en Provence but i'ts very expensive,but the area of Montpellier is nice too and less expensive

Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Hey everyone,

In 5 years I am planning on retiring from my job (based in New York, but spend a lot of time in the UK too) and settling down to a more peaceful life. Lately, while trying to decide on the perfect location to call home in the year 2013 or 2014, whenever, I have decided on France. I could go into a big long explanation of my reasons for this, but I won't, because who really cares?

Anyway, if anyone on here is French, or has lived in France, could you please give me hints on what cities to see (I need to spend the next half decade exploring the country) and the major positive and negative aspects of life there. I don't have any real specific questions yet, but when I do I'll ask them. I'm just looking for general observations and opinions.

Thanks.

Just so you know, I speak French, have studied French history, and have been to France before.
First, you could visit Paris and the south east of France. Just take two weeks to do it and then move. The best parts in France to live are on the west side. Cities like Rennes, Nantes, Bordeaux are very great, good food, good people, a large choice of things to do (especially in Nantes and Bordeaux). The culture in France is very present you could find it special and even sometimes boring, but it's everywhere.

If I were you I'd go to Bordeaux. large enough (about 1 million), very beautiful (UNESCO), beaches (among the most beautiful in France, far far better than the ones in the south east : Nices, Cannes, etc), wines, very good local food reciepes, closed to Spain...

The Dordogne (a paradise for the nature) is very near, I'm sure you'll enjoy this kind of place.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-12-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: please don't post copyrighted images

Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM

46 posts, read 209,546 times
Hey Voltaire! When I was a senior in high school I studied in France and had an absolutely wonderful experience. I lived in Saumur, which is a town of around 30,000 in the heart of the Loire Valley. It's pretty close to Angers and Tours, and is only about 1.5 hours from Paris by TGV. If you like wine, fairy-tale castles and quaint towns, Saumur might be the place for you. There's also a renowned cavalry school within the city, and the Loire River runs right through Saumur. It's truly a beautiful place. It has a great downtown and bigger stores are right outside the city limits. If you want any more information or any pictures just message me and I'd be happy to help you out.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
France ?
Weather is crap, people are crap, it's expensive, they believe they are the navel of the world, if u think you'll get less stress in Paris than in NYC, "keep on dreamin'"...I guess "the grass is always greener, etc"

Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
You should first study the French language and watch French television networks until you can become fluent in that language and even then there's no certainty that they won't be rude and snobbish towards you. My dad speaks fluent French and he receive the full force of their attitude because of his accent which told them he wasn't from France. I've been to France twice and you couldn't pay me enough money to live there. France is a beautiful country,...except for the people.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,654 times
I think the north and west coasts of France would be too boring for me (but I've never been on the West coast). Strasbourg might be interesting to live in for quick trips over to the festivals in Baden Baden and Stuttgart Germany. If I couldn't live in Paris, I would love to live on the French Riviera. There's definitely lots of 24hr activities everywhere from St. Tropez through Nice. If you don't mind all the topless sunbathers, you can't beat the summer beaches. And there's still free places to watch the Formula One racing over in Monte Carlo. Montpellier and Marseilles are interesting coastal cities also, but they just aren't as fun. Montpellier might be okay if you're able to make frequent trips down through the east Spanish coast (Barcelona, Valencia areas).

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I'm in the center of Paris right now, and have been hearing for a few hours agressive, noisy demonstrators blowing trumpets, howling "money! more money!"at the top of their lungs, you add the noise of Police sirens and "whack!whack"! from teens doing rollerball, all this agitation under cold, grey weather and sprinkling rain, if I had a flamethrower I think I would exterminate them all!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 AM

321 posts, read 1,097,150 times
Well, I should probably warn you that france has the worst drivers in the world.
Though, they have very nice mountains...

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 84,394 times
Hi Voltaire
Maybe I'm too young and have no clue about what I'm talking about, but I tend to think that it is pretty risky to RETIRE in a foreign country you are not VERY familiar with, ie. where you haven't actually LIVED for a few years before. You might feel home-sick pretty quickly and eventually regret it.
All I can say is that many french people plan on retiring anywhere along the southern coast between Spain & Italy, mainly because of the nice weather.
If I were you, I would go down there on a few day/week roadtrip (for example between Perpignan & Menton) to try to find myself a quiet and friendly medium-sized city where it would make sense for me to retire. I would stay away from the bigger ones as they can be dirty & overcrowded.
Anyway, you're thinking about France right now but you'll probably change your mind a thousand times before 2013/2014 :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe