Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:58 PM

209 posts, read 680,166 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Paris for 3-4 days in December. Any suggestions as to where I should go, what I should see?

Of course I'll check out the Eiffel Tower, but other than that and the Louvre I know nothing about the city.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM

22 posts, read 74,996 times
Stade de france?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i speak french, feel free to DM me.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-08-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Sounds like a great place. We met a delightful woman in Obernai who invited us up to her apartment to watch the start of the Tour de France. Between my wretched French and her rusty English we struggled a bit, but sometimes you get by without too many words.
I hope we have the time to get to Lille.
There is so much I want to see, but we have less than three weeks.
We will try to make the most of it.
Ah, Obernai! I spent a couple of months in Obernai back in 1987. It's such a beautiful little town, and only a few minutes away from Strasbourg. I would love to go back and visit.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your visit to Lille! Be sure to tell us how (or if) you enjoyed it.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
I'll be in Paris for 3-4 days in December. Any suggestions as to where I should go, what I should see?

Of course I'll check out the Eiffel Tower, but other than that and the Louvre I know nothing about the city.

Thanks.
Be sure to sit on the steps in front of Sacré Coeur and watch the sun set over the city. It's absolutely magical to see Paris laid out at your feet, the Eiffel Tower off in the distance, and the lights start twinkling on as the sun goes down.

While the temperature itself isn't super cold, Paris has that clammy weather which eats right through you. In other words, 40 degrees F in Paris feels a heck of a lot colder to me than 40 degrees in, say, Denver.

If you want to have a nice, inexpensive lunch but with a great view of the city, head to Les Galeries Lafayette. I think it's on the 7th floor, but their cafeteria has pretty good food and huge windows overlooking the city. And it's climate controlled.

Whether or not you're Catholic or even religious, attending mass at Notre Dame is a very interesting experience.

If beautiful Gothic architecture and lots of stained glass windows is your thing, you must see Sainte-Chappelle. It'll knock your socks off.

Have a great trip!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond, JMT.

You aren't the first person that I've spoken with that recommended Sacré Coeur. I'll make that a priority.

I'm not Catholic, or very religious for that matter, but I would definitely consider attending Mass at Notre Dame.

That lunch spot sounds good as well. I definitely want to take advantage of as many unique eating opportunities as possible.

Would you recommend wearing long johns during that time of year, considering I'll be out and about a lot?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond, JMT.

You aren't the first person that I've spoken with that recommended Sacré Coeur. I'll make that a priority.

I'm not Catholic, or very religious for that matter, but I would definitely consider attending Mass at Notre Dame.

That lunch spot sounds good as well. I definitely want to take advantage of as many unique eating opportunities as possible.

Would you recommend wearing long johns during that time of year, considering I'll be out and about a lot?
If you plan on staying outside a lot in Paris, then yes I would definitely recommend long johns. Paris is such a beautiful, walkable city, it would be a shame to stay indoors even though the weather is so damp and chilly.

I'd also take a boat ride along the Canal Saint-Martin. It takes you through some very picturesque neighborhoods.

You mentioned the Louvre, and while that's certainly a must-see, my favorite museum is a short walk just across the river, le musée d’Orsay. The building itself is a work of art. Plus I like 19th century art a LOT, and that's the place to see it.

Since you'll be there for the Christmas shopping season, you might enjoy wandering through the two huge department stores located next door to each other on boulevard Haussman (behind the Opera). Les Galeries Lafayette is my favorite, but a lot of people prefer its rival, Printemps. Both are gargantuan and are richly decorated for the holidays.

Here are a couple of pics I took of the Christmas tree in the main atrium of Les Galeries Lafayette a couple of years ago. Get a load of the ceiling.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 AM

That looks astounding.

I think the Christmas dynamic will make the trip all the more enjoyable.

Thanks again for all the info!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
They are mostly an hypocritical bunch up there, believe me , like their "bling bling" President, they follow the motto "my heart on the Left, my Purse on the Right".
I mean don't you see how fallacious they are, being dead serious about Luxury, Decorum, Perfumes, Wine, Fashion, Style,Food, and cynically sneering at Morals and spiritual pursuits.
Parisians, Pharisians....

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
They are mostly an hypocritical bunch up there, believe me , like their "bling bling" President, they follow the motto "my heart on the Left, my Purse on the Right".
I mean don't you see how fallacious they are, being dead serious about Luxury, Decorum, Perfumes, Wine, Fashion, Style,Food, and cynically sneering at Morals and spiritual pursuits.
Parisians, Pharisians....

WOW ! I am amazed that Sarkozy would describe himself as having "his heart on the Left " ! The man is as close to a fascist as you can get in Europe apart from Berlusconi...
And proud of it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe