Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM

24 posts, read 205,217 times

Advertisements

I have the urge to visit switzerland .I am in the United States and I have seen just about every thing here.What are the people like towards African Americans?I also would like to know why do so many people put their money in Switzerland Banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I lived several summers in Switzerland and was there long enough to learn to speak Swiss-German.

Switzerland is BEAUTIFUL. Breathtaking scenery, pictuesque villages and towns. And unspeakably expensive.

As an adult, I found the Swiss did not take much to foreigners or anyone different. JMHO.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
I also would like to know why do so many people put their money in Switzerland Banks?
I can't believe.....oh nevermind.....read this. Welcome to the world of personal wealth management.

Swiss bank secrecy

Swiss bankers are under obligation to keep any information about you or your account strictly confidential.
This bank secrecy (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/definition.html - broken link) is among the strictest in the world and stems from an age-old historical (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/history.html - broken link) tradition. It is established in Swiss law (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/legal.basis.html - broken link). Any banker who reveals information about you without your consent risks several months in prison.

The only exceptions (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/laundering.html - broken link) to this rule concern serious crimes such as gun smuggling and drug trafficking.

Bank secrecy is not lifted for tax evasion. This is because failure to report income or assets is not considered a crime in Switzerland. As such, neither the Swiss government, nor anyother government, can obtain information about your bank account. They must first convince a Swiss judge that you have committed a serious crime punishable by the Swiss Penal Code.

Bank secrecy will not be lifted for private matters such as inheritance or divorce if you have kept your banking information strictly confidential. It is up to plaintiffs to prove that the account exists if they wish the judge to pursue the case. In this respect, the numbered account (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/numbered.account.html - broken link) provides the maximum degree of confidentiality.

Swiss bank secrecy (http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/banking/secrecy/index.html - broken link)

Capiche?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,519 times
Switzerland is absolutely beautiful. Some of the most breathtaking scenery I've seen anywhere.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 AM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
It's a great country to visit. I've been to Berne, Interlaken and a few other places. My first trip there was with a black friend. He didn't have any problems. I can say driving and hiking through the mountains is wonderful. The food, wine and beer are good. As others have said, the scenery is breathtaking. It's a great place to hike, camp, paraglide, parachute, ski, you name it. The cities feel and look completely different from the ones in the U.S. The only downside is that it's very expensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
I have the urge to visit switzerland .I am in the United States and I have seen just about every thing here.What are the people like towards African Americans?I also would like to know why do so many people put their money in Switzerland Banks?
Great country to visit, although quite pricey. Its the size of New Jersey, yet there are 4 official languages.

During my visits to Switzerland its been clear that they do not like foreigners very much. Now does this manifest itself in violence? No, not at all. So dress well and attempt a few lines of French, German or Italian (depending on where in the country you are at that moment) and you should be fine. Remember, although African-American, you are American and they will distinguish you from those actually from Africa.

Take the train from Zurich (German Switzerland) to Lugano (Italian Switzerland). The scenery is spectaculer- you literally cross the Alpine line between Latin Europe and Germanic Europe and yet remain in the same country. Zurich, Bern, Basel and Lasuanne are my favorites. Montreux and Interlaken hold their own. Lugano is like Italy run by the Germans. Geneva, oddly enough, did not do it for me. Luzerne is spectacular although touristy.

Have fun.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 PM

127 posts, read 346,755 times
I had the opposite experience in Switzerland. Everyone was very friendly, and I didn't get the feeling they didn't like foreigners. I also visited England, France, Germany and the Netherlands, and by far, Switzerland was the best. The people were more friendly (you couldn't pay me to return to France!), everything was very clean and beautiful. I actually felt safe there. I'd return to Switzerland in a heartbeat.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:35 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
From my perspective most countries can be nice countries to visit. As long as you have an open mind to enjoy the differences and don't expect everything to be just like home..

Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
I lived in Switzerland the first 16 years of my life. It's a lovely country, racism is low so you won't have any trouble there. It's very clean, very polite (but not very friendly), lovely place to visit. The touristy places can be a bi "twee", but that is not neccessarily a bad thing. Definitely very expensive though!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:49 AM

69 posts, read 335,920 times
Quote:
I remember a recent poll where almost 90% of the Swiss prefered Obama over McCain... They are not racists by any means, even though in last few years, some local conservative populists have been running succesful campaigns against illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe