Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better architecture: Paris vs Rome
Paris, France 74 49.66%
Rome, Italy 75 50.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times

Advertisements

Out of the cities chosen, which do you think has the better architecture?? Please post some pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Out of the cities chosen, which do you think has the better architecture?? Please post some pics.
You start really good threads.

I know that this is off topic....... but I would rather live in these two cities over many places in the u.s.

As far as architecture, they are both great. I refuse to vote

Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Rome.

Roman architecture is the platinum of architecture

Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Isn't this thread supposed to be in the World forum? Because this is General U.S. lol.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
i would pick rome. But personaly both of their architecture is overrated. Their architecture is based on ancient ish. Like on some before christ..... bc(when caesar was emperor), ish. Chicago and nyc both are better in that we are modern greatness. Stop overrating these foriegn cities its getting outta hand

Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 AM
hpark

n/a posts
Rome has better architecture

(The best in the world)

Paris has a better cityscape though imo

Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Rome ancient... Paris modern...

Eh... there is really no better in this, but I voted Rome... the whole city is one giant archaelogical dig. Walking around some of the palaces, and the Vatican along is mind blowing...(especially the sistine chapel ceiling)

Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
Did someone really just call Rome's architecture "overrated"? Are you kidding?!? The Romans, along with the Greek, gave birth to "classical" architecture. The comparison between Paris and Rome has no justification, as classical architecture is the single most influential architecture to ever exist. If you want to prove me wrong, name me one building that has been built in your lifetime that will still be standing 2000 years from now. If you think Roman architecture is "overrated" then you obviously have never visited Rome.

Oh, and here's the Pantheon, just one of Rome's many great examples of architecture. It was built in 126 AD.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Isn't this thread supposed to be in the World forum? Because this is General U.S. lol.
I will allow this because it's not a comparison between a U.S. and a European city (which doesn't work), but instead two European cities (hence technically, "city vs city" and of a fair quality), and frankly, because it keeps this non-serious stuff OUT of the more serious world rooms.

So long as it remains civil and people abide by the room sticky, I'll leave it be.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i would pick rome. But personaly both of their architecture is overrated. Their architecture is based on ancient ish. Like on some before christ..... bc(when caesar was emperor), ish. Chicago and nyc both are better in that we are modern greatness. Stop overrating these foriegn cities its getting outta hand
It's blasphemous to call the architecture of cities like Paris and Rome overrated. You're entitled to your opinion, but many other people think that this ancient "ish" is much better than the modern "ish" you're praising. In my opinion, both Paris and Rome have better architecture than both New York and Chicago. However, as I've said in other threads, just because people are praising other cities doesn't mean cities like New York and Chicago are any less beautiful. Beauty is not a zero-sum game. P.S. Please stop saying "ish" haha.

On topic:

This is a battle of two architecture titans. Paris, Rome, London, New York, and Amsterdam have the most impressive architecture in the world in my opinion. I personally like Paris' architecture better, but that's only because I believe Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. People can make extremely valid points to support both sides.

The Art Nouveau and Haussmann style in Paris are my two favorite in the world.

It's hard not to fawn over Paris' architecture. Thanks to JP at SkyscraperCity, all pics taken by him:

Mod cut.

I think this is apart of some museum

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-14-2015 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted images deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe