Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better architecture: Paris vs Rome
Paris, France 74 49.66%
Rome, Italy 75 50.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM

765 posts, read 1,863,322 times

Advertisements

How the hell can choose between these two cities? Both cities are full of gorgeous architectural gems, I don't see how its possible to pick one over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,480,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
How the hell can choose between these two cities? Both cities are full of gorgeous architectural gems, I don't see how its possible to pick one over the other.
I agree.

It's similar to comparing Lamborghini to Ferrari, or Bentley to Rolls Royce. They're both the best-of-the-best and you can't go wrong with either.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,013,973 times
Rome is like a live museum of architecture, very stunning. But I like Paris a little better because it has some modern representations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,013,973 times
Although I love old ancient architecture, I think your comment of "name me one building that has been built in your lifetime that will still be standing 2000 years from now" is not fair. Those ancient architecture are still standing there partly because people spend huge amount of money to preserve them to recognize their historical values. If not, they will quickly run down as well. It is very often that preserving an old architecture is more expensive than building a new one, especially those needing conversions to keep functioning. Modern architecture are not that lucky for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Did someone really just call Rome's architecture "overrated"? Are you kidding?!? The Romans, along with the Greek, gave birth to "classical" architecture. The comparison between Paris and Rome has no justification, as classical architecture is the single most influential architecture to ever exist. If you want to prove me wrong, name me one building that has been built in your lifetime that will still be standing 2000 years from now. If you think Roman architecture is "overrated" then you obviously have never visited Rome.

Oh, and here's the Pantheon, just one of Rome's many great examples of architecture. It was built in 126 AD.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-08-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,395,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Although I love old ancient architecture, I think your comment of "name me one building that has been built in your lifetime that will still be standing 2000 years from now" is not fair. Those ancient architecture are still standing there partly because people spend huge amount of money to preserve them to recognize their historical values. If not, they will quickly run down as well. It is very often that preserving an old architecture is more expensive than building a new one, especially those needing conversions to keep functioning. Modern architecture are not that lucky for now.
Those giant columns you see supporting the dome in the Pantheon need no help from humans to retain their integrity. Beyond that, the point is that many developers/designers/builders today design structures that have very short life cycles, which is a tragedy, because anything that is new that is designed to last longer is more sustainable and better overall for everyone. You would be amazed at the number of buildings being built today that are designed for only 20 years.

Not only that, but look at what the Romans were able to achieve with hand tools and manual labor. Look at the level of craft and detail that they were able to attain that no human can match even today.

Last edited by jacksonian; 06-08-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times
Rome and Paris both have fantastic monumental architecture. But I think the "infill" between the monuments is generally better in Paris. And, as someone else pointed out, Paris' modern architecture adds spice that some might consider lacking in Rome.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,441,182 times
Rome.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 AM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times
Paris. I love the residential architecture. I'm also really excited about the plans for La Defense.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,713,009 times
Wow this one is hard. Both=)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,395,750 times
For those who didn't know, much of Paris' architecture comes from the classical architecture that originated in the Roman empire, since the Romans conquered the Paris basin in 52 BC. It was not until the early 500's AD that the city reclaimed its original appellation of "Paris" towards the end of the Roman occupation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe