Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 80,776 times

Advertisements

Italy is the best place.
Safe, minimal muslim population and tons of culture and history. And really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM

14 posts, read 58,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
I don't live in Europe. I did for a few years in Italy and France so when I stayed I got to travel and see all the neighboring countries including the Netherlands. I am trying to save as much money here in the US for my retirement nestegg as possible. I was just saying that when I visited I really liked Italy, specifically Aosta and the Langhe of Piemonte. I am biased though Europe may be my retirement destination though.

True, corruption is bad in Italy. People still don't understand that in Italy life is very different from region to region. Northern Italy basically carries the whole country.

This could be a conspiracy theory but I truly believe Italy is just trying to break every EU rule to get kicked out of the ridiculous union that damages the poorer countries way more than the richer ones.

By the way, my reference to banking falls under "amenities" part of her post and taxation would fall under the "income to cost of living ratio". Taxation is a huge factor in determining the net income you get to play with and is definitely part of the "cost" of living.
what's so bad about retiring in the USA?
I agree it's unfair to put whole italy in the same bag since corruption is more well spread among southern italy than north.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 PM

34 posts, read 100,959 times
Apologies for the late response (we've been travelling a lot). While I've been to Nice and to the Lake Como region, I don't know Aosta and Piedmont, in general. I suspect that it's best to earn income in the U.S. and be taxed as a U.S. citizen (even when living abroad while working or in retirement).

Italy is beautiful, but decaying. I really suspect, having travelled from the north on down to Rome, that corruption and bureaucracy have brought this rich land to its knees. The legacy is charming and endearing, the slow pace appealing (from a tourist perspective), but living there would be extremely frustrating, once you take off the rose-colored glasses and put down the blindly idealized chick-lit. Flying from Milano to Munchen/Munich, you could not have seen a more striking contrast of airports and cities.

I very much agree: taxation is a big factor in the ratio of income to cost of living. I recognize that it's a social contract (implicitly), to pay high taxes for generous social services. And I understand that people will disagree on the proper balance/value of taxes spent for those services. I suppose that I would prefer lower taxes (who wouldn't?), with a highly accountable government (good value for taxes). Just dreaming? From the outside, Switzerland seems to have its act together.

Last edited by jaytr; 08-23-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM

I forgot to thank you for the Galicia Guide link--great site! I would definitely like to see Spain. I suppose a city with good business activity, historic preservation, a university and reasonable cost of living (relative to income) would be my ideal. Madrid is too expensive. Galicia seems nice, but is it a bit too quiet? We're young-ish (mid-30s). Any cities in Spain that might be good to consider?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM

I'm from Southern California (Pasadena). Love the area, weather, lifestyle, although cost of living got out of hand (real estate prices, which haven't come down much in the desirable areas). I suppose I'm looking for adventure abroad in Europe for a few years.

Riviera...I'd be curious about us living in Valencia, Barcelona, Aix-en-Provence, or Piedmont, as a young couple with kids. I know almost nothing about Sardinia and Corsica--open to hearing more. Malta seems interesting, even if a bit overcrowded. I've even given Croatia some thought, although it seems to depend too much on tourism, and inflation has gotten out of hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
This is a tough question because you want a job, family, good quality of life, and good weather.

I can only get you 3 of the 4 things.

For Europe I can get you the family, good quality of life, and good weather but not the job. For the US, southern CA specifically, you can get the job, family, and weather.

So, for Europe on those 3 things it would have to be the Spanish, French, or Italian Riviera, Southern Italy/Malta, Sardinia, Corsica.

For SoCal the best areas are from Thousand Oaks to Calabasas (the coastal region covering Ventura and LA counties), Orange County, and La Jolla in San Diego county.

This is pretty much it. If you can land a job in Switzerland, than more power to you. Then you will have everything but weather, it can get a bit nippy.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM

114 posts, read 308,911 times
Avoid Germany. I'm from Germany and now living in the United States. There is no country that hates children that much than Germany. Neighbors are permanently complaining although it is totally natural that babies and infants are loud. In general you should stay in the United States if you want to start a family, seriously. E.g. some European countries such as Germany tax both couples so that it won't pay off that both parents work.
European teenagers don't have as much respect for their parents as in the United States and they stricly follow trends. Everyone who does not care has to struggle for years. Teens have way more rights and liberties in terms of sex and drugs which you, as an American, may don't like.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCalifornian View Post
Avoid Germany. I'm from Germany and now living in the United States. There is no country that hates children that much than Germany. Neighbors are permanently complaining although it is totally natural that babies and infants are loud. In general you should stay in the United States if you want to start a family, seriously. E.g. some European countries such as Germany tax both couples so that it won't pay off that both parents work.
European teenagers don't have as much respect for their parents as in the United States and they stricly follow trends. Everyone who does not care has to struggle for years. Teens have way more rights and liberties in terms of sex and drugs which you, as an American, may don't like.
What German city are you from? What do you think of living in Munchen or Augsburg--preferably in the greener parts (suburbs or small town outside)? Ideally, with 2-3 kids, we could have a small house/townhouse, making neighbors' complaints less of an issue. I've heard benefits and social services in Germany encourage having children--is that not true? Disrespect, sex and drugs are issues here in the U.S., too, but we will raise our kids to be respectful, balanced and more spiritual.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I've never been to Europe but Lisbon, Portugal looks absolutely awesome. I think if I was moving to Europe I'd go for Portugal, Spain, or Italy because of the milder climate and more colorful architecture.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
maybe they just liked the band, Bad Religion...

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytr View Post
I forgot to thank you for the Galicia Guide link--great site! I would definitely like to see Spain. I suppose a city with good business activity, historic preservation, a university and reasonable cost of living (relative to income) would be my ideal. Madrid is too expensive. Galicia seems nice, but is it a bit too quiet? We're young-ish (mid-30s). Any cities in Spain that might be good to consider?
Galicia is generally quiet and rural but there are some towns where you can have real fun and which have a surprisingly high concentration of pubs and the like. A Coruña and Santiago de Compostela especially are full of spots where you can eat (amazing seafood, nice meat courses, tasty vegetable stews) and drink (local liquors are exquisite, and there are many cafés where music is good) all night long. Vigo is very big and has a good nightlife, although the city itself is not as beautiful as the other ones. However, the surrounding area is impressive and worth exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe