Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 55,745 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We are thinking of buying vocational house in Malta, Europe. And we just need some info about places in Malta. Where is the best place to live?
Please if you guys have any info about it, let me know

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanaroger View Post
Hi.

We are thinking of buying vocational house in Malta, Europe. And we just need some info about places in Malta. Where is the best place to live?
Please if you guys have any info about it, let me know

Thanks
I am not from Malta but I visited there and have done some research there. It is really a secret jewel and its good that many Americans don't even know where it is.

The benefits of Malta for someone that is from the UK or the US:

1. Since it is a former British colony, English is the official language and Maltese is just the language most people speak at home. Students learn English at school, bills come in English, all documents in English etc.

2. Secondly there are NO PROPERTY TAXES OR HOA fees! There maybe a small maintenance fee if you live in a penthouse with community elevators etc. There is also NO GARBAGE TAX. Collection is free.

3. The weather is sunshine most of the year. It is almost exactly the same weather as Southern CA where I live. No snow ever and minimal rain in the winter for a week or so a year maybe.

4. Gozo is an island northwest of Malta. It is part of Malta but it is cheaper and greener but less to do (more of a family place to live). If you are single I suggest the mainland.

Now for the bad:

1. This isn't really that much of a con but you must invest at least 114k Euro on a property and must be able to have and income stream of at least 1k Euro per month to live there.

2. You can't become a citizen unless you are a permanent resident for at least 20 years and you have permission.

3. There is a stipulation on permanent residency with income. Basically you will never be able to acquire a job until a Maltese has filled it first. But you can be your own business owner and self employed.

4. It is an island. And like every island it is more expensive than living on the mainland. Your biggest expense will be electricity, food and clothing. Clothing is not a big deal because you can buy things elsewhere when you vacation or from the US. For food... Meat is expensive but Fish is cheap. Fish is healtheir anyway. There is often two prices for everything in Malta... if something doesn't have a price, stay away. Locals will pay the cheap price and tourists get skrewed.

5. Like the Brits, they drive on the wrong side of the road

As for the different places to live... the most charm and the most affluent place in malta is the old capital of Mdina. The present capital is Valetta.

On the southeast of the island is where they shot part of the "blue grotto" for the movie "The Count of Monte Cristo". Great place to visit.

There are probably only a few people from Malta that are on this board and hopefully they can be of more help to you. I hope I have helped you out. Ciao!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Thanks alot. This is great information.
So, if we buy a vocational house in Mdina will we are able to rent the house for the time we are not there?
Thanks alot again

Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks alot. This is great information.
So, if we buy a vocational house in Mdina will we are able to rent the house for the time we are not there?
Thanks alot again
Yes, there are no restrictions as to letting a property. You will be subject to the Maltese income tax for income generated through property (which I believe is treated more like cap gains than regular income so I believe the income tax is less). I believe if you pay the Maltese income tax and are a permanent resident (that is you are staying there full time) you are allowed to utilise their healthcare system which happens to be ranked 5th best in the world according to the World Health Organisation.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Are you planning for Mdina? It is expensive but the night walks are awesome. They call it the "silent" city. Let me know. Ciao!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Mdina is very nice but expansive. We are planning to buy house of character. And from what I see the houses in Mdina way out of our price range. So, we need a house of character not more than $200.000-$250.000, close to all amenities and nice views. Is it possible?
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:28 PM

521 posts, read 1,472,993 times
Love you Malta.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 15 | 1942: Malta gets George Cross for bravery

Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,632 times
I'm not from Malta, but I am a first generation American and most of my family is from there.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Mdina is very nice but expansive. We are planning to buy house of character. And from what I see the houses in Mdina way out of our price range. So, we need a house of character not more than $200.000-$250.000, close to all amenities and nice views. Is it possible?
Thanks!
I told you it was expensive there.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
I'm not from Malta, but I am a first generation American and most of my family is from there.
Have you being there? What is your impression?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe