Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM

93 posts, read 200,246 times

Advertisements

I will be celebrating my Honeymoon in Italy next year. We do not want to travel everywhere by bus or for that matter by train & have to carry our luggage. What about using a car in Italy? How difficult is it to drive between the major cities? Is signage a problem? Are most signs in Italian & English? How about the price of gas? I know it's much higher than here but I think what we save in train/bus/cab fares we will make up in car rental & gas. Yet we will have the convenience of not carrying our luggage. It can sit in the car until we arrive at our next hotel. Opinions/comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupwithNJ View Post
I will be celebrating my Honeymoon in Italy next year. We do not want to travel everywhere by bus or for that matter by train & have to carry our luggage. What about using a car in Italy? How difficult is it to drive between the major cities? Is signage a problem? Are most signs in Italian & English? How about the price of gas? I know it's much higher than here but I think what we save in train/bus/cab fares we will make up in car rental & gas. Yet we will have the convenience of not carrying our luggage. It can sit in the car until we arrive at our next hotel. Opinions/comments please.
Generally, driving in Italy is not a problem. They drive on the right as we do. However, it will be harder in the towns and cities as streets can be small and tight due to parked cars and they don't have a gridiron street system so I would recommend a GPS with European maps. Also, watch out for scooters and motorbikes weaving in and out of the traffic. Signs will be in Italian, not English. They don't do dual language but you get used to it pretty quick.

Gas is expensive at around $7 a gallon. Also, if you use highways (interstates) you will most likely pay tolls and they can be quite expensive too. Finally, make sure you have parking at your destination as finding a spot can be a bear and you want to make sure there are no time restrictions on it. Make sure you are good at parallel parking too as the spaces can be very tight.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Signage in English? Not in Italy.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM

274 posts, read 860,490 times
DO NOT leave your luggage in your vehicle if you rent a car. A1 is the major north/south fwy, signs are in Italian but a few are english. Hwys are great though good traveling from city to city. Yes, gas is astronomically high. Have fun.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times
Hi!
I'm Italian and I live in Italy.

Jaggy001 has reason.

Driving in Italy is not a problem but it will be harder in the towns and cities as streets can be small and tight due to parked cars

I recommend a GPS maps.

Signs are in Italian, not English.

Gas is very very expensive and the highways also.

Moreover, we have a lot of traffic.
It's not so good to drive in Italy for all these reasons.

Have a good time in Italy!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:21 AM

268 posts, read 878,075 times
Sings aren't in English. Are they Italian in the USA?
No problems with reading the signs in Italy. Buy a good map.

But what you need is a good pair of eyes, even on your back. Signs aren't always VISIBLE in Italy. (or non existable).

Drive careful: (For an American, first time in Italy?), Italians drive like hell. Speeding, ignoring signs....
Traffic jams: Some highways/motorways are known for long traffic jams. Example: the highway between Milan (Milano) and Venice (Venezia)

Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Also ... the left blinker lever on the cars in Italy are stuck ....
They stay on from the first time you move them ....

Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
Sings aren't in English. Are they Italian in the USA?
No problems with reading the signs in Italy. Buy a good map.

But what you need is a good pair of eyes, even on your back. Signs aren't always VISIBLE in Italy. (or non existable).

Drive careful: (For an American, first time in Italy?), Italians drive like hell. Speeding, ignoring signs....
Traffic jams: Some highways/motorways are known for long traffic jams. Example: the highway between Milan (Milano) and Venice (Venezia)
Good point on speed. This next bit is for the highways. When I lived in Europe I would often cruise at around 140-160 kph (90mph - 100mph). Get used to the higher speeds. Lane discipline is expected. If you are in the outside lane and get flashed then move over. Don't behave like an American and get difficult about it Also, overtaking on the right is a big no-no in Europe. If you have someone blocking the lane in front of you and you cannot overtake on the left then flash your headlights. They will pull over as soon as they reasonably can. A lot of cars will keep the left indicator on while they are in the outside lane. That is to indicate that they are still overtaking slower traffic.

I haven't driven much in the cities ... only really Vicenza, Aosta and a little bit getting into Venice. It wasn't a problem but my experience of taxis in Rome would make me nervous driving there. Again, to reiterate, parking can be a near and it can be expensive to use car parks. Try to make sure your destination hotel has parking.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 PM

667 posts, read 940,614 times
Highway Milano - Brescica has always a lot of traffic jams. You need sometimes 5 - 7 hours for 100 miles. The other ways are OK.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 PM

93 posts, read 200,246 times
Thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Good point on speed. This next bit is for the highways. When I lived in Europe I would often cruise at around 140-160 kph (90mph - 100mph). Get used to the higher speeds. Lane discipline is expected. If you are in the outside lane and get flashed then move over. Don't behave like an American and get difficult about it Also, overtaking on the right is a big no-no in Europe. If you have someone blocking the lane in front of you and you cannot overtake on the left then flash your headlights. They will pull over as soon as they reasonably can. A lot of cars will keep the left indicator on while they are in the outside lane. That is to indicate that they are still overtaking slower traffic.

I haven't driven much in the cities ... only really Vicenza, Aosta and a little bit getting into Venice. It wasn't a problem but my experience of taxis in Rome would make me nervous driving there. Again, to reiterate, parking can be a near and it can be expensive to use car parks. Try to make sure your destination hotel has parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe