Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I am constantly super amazed at how many people post here who are on some type of prescription drugs or have some type of medical issue/ailment/shortcoming.

I dont think Ive ever in my adult life had to be on any prescription meds and cant even remember the last time I was sick. I truly in my heart believe that its because I am constantly doing some type of physical exercise (martial arts, tai chi, yoga, weights, cardio). Even when I was a little kid, I'd go in the backyard and lift rocks trying to imitate Vasilly Alexeyev and jumping over things like Daley Thompson or Carl Lewis. This continued on into my teens and into my adult life. Maybe Ive just been lucky with genes because none of my brothers or sisters have been on meds either, but I HAVE to think its because of being active.

Is there ANYONE else here who is NOT on any prescription meds?
Anyone else NOT dealing with some physical ailment/disease?
This is ridiculous. Its a good thing you haven't been on any rx drugs and you should be thankful for that. I can understand how being active may have prevented you form being on BP meds for example. However, some people like myself suffer from depression. In my case its PPD and no amount of being active is going to help with my depression unless I am on meds.
I suspect it has a lot more to do with good genes and luck frankly. There are many many active and healthy people in the world that get horrible diseases and are on plenty of meds.

Last edited by elnina; 08-18-2010 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: cut out: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Oh man!! Dont even get me started on how horrible it is when I see kids/babies who are sick and on Rx drugs. I know sometimes unfortunate things happen, but I believe the MOST times you can point the blame right at the parents when you see these poor kids suffer.

I think a LOT of these people who ARE on meds are sick because they failed to follow proper nutrition and they failed to exercise daily. As I have said before in the "What motivates you to exercise" thread is that not only do I want to set a good example for my kids so that they can learn the importance of taking care of their bodies, but also for ME so that I can increase my chances of being around for THEM for many more years to help them grow up.

I really believe that a lot of these ailments that people are taking these prescription drugs for can be eliminated with steady doses of exercise, proper nutrition (NO DIETS), and yoga/taichi.
Ok so give us an exapmle of how its the parents fault that their child has to be on antibiotics for some kind of infection. I'm waiting.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You think Im perfect? Awww thank you Ohiogirl81, no one is perfect, but we all should be doing something each day to help better ourselves. Perfection will almost always be out of our reach, but we should never stop striving for it. But, this is a topic for another thread not this one.
Actually that's how your posts come across. You're basically looking down at people who have to take prescrfiption meds. Count yourself LUCKY to be blessed with perfect health. I think your activity level may have 20% do do with it and the rest being genetics and good luck 80%.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do not believe that developing type 2 diabetes is solely due to behavior or environment. I firmly believe there is a genetic component to it that predisposes certain people to it. Otherwise almost everybody who eats a diet high in sugar/carbs and/or who is obese would likely have it, and they don't.

Don't 'believe'? Hm. Well, there are actual facts out there, so it no longer has to be a matter of believing.

Type 2 diabetes absolutely has a familial disposition. However, that does not mean you will get it if you don't also follow the familial disposition to poor health and diet management.

Also, blaming it all on genetics sure as hell doesn't explain the millions of people who have it now who never had it in their family at all.

This is mostly a behavior-induced disease with some family predisposition, but genetics is not the biggest player here.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
One of the fittest people I know also has MS and takes an array of prescription drugs every day. I also know diabetics and people with other chronic conditions who work out and also must take prescription medication in order to maintain their health/functionality or to keep from getting worse. You cannot exercise away type 1 diabetes. You cannot exercise away MS. You cannot exercise away severe asthma. Exercise can help alleviate some of the worst side effects of some conditions, but exercise is not a substitute for medication for some insidious health problems.
I don't think that anyone is saying you can exercise these diseases away. I think they're talking about the pervasive use of medications to overcome diseases that are behaviorally-induced. Unfortunately, a huge amount of our health care dollars are being spent on those kinds of diseases.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think that anyone is saying you can exercise these diseases away. I think they're talking about the pervasive use of medications to overcome diseases that are behaviorally-induced.
The message does come across that way, though.

Quote:
I dont think Ive ever in my adult life had to be on any prescription meds and cant even remember the last time I was sick. I truly in my heart believe that its because I am constantly doing some type of physical exercise (martial arts, tai chi, yoga, weights, cardio). ... Maybe Ive just been lucky with genes because none of my brothers or sisters have been on meds either, but I HAVE to think its because of being active.
Quote:
I think a LOT of these people who ARE on meds are sick because they failed to follow proper nutrition and they failed to exercise daily. ... I really believe that a lot of these ailments that people are taking these prescription drugs for can be eliminated with steady doses of exercise, proper nutrition (NO DIETS), and yoga/taichi.
As others have pointed out, there are a lot of diseases and conditions that are just luck of the draw and require medication. An infection (such as an ear infection after swimming) that gets worse instead of better should be treated with antibiotics.

Lao did say "a lot of these ailments" (instead of "all") in his second post, so it didn't come off so strong as his first one. I see what other people are saying, though. The first post says that disease can be prevented by daily exercise, and the second one says that exercise will eliminate or cure disease. That's quite a claim.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Don't 'believe'? Hm. Well, there are actual facts out there, so it no longer has to be a matter of believing.

Type 2 diabetes absolutely has a familial disposition. However, that does not mean you will get it if you don't also follow the familial disposition to poor health and diet management.

Also, blaming it all on genetics sure as hell doesn't explain the millions of people who have it now who never had it in their family at all.

This is mostly a behavior-induced disease with some family predisposition, but genetics is not the biggest player here.
I know a couple of people who are nowhere near overweight yet they are still showing signs of type II diabetes. They have a family history of the disease.

So far they have managed to avoid meds - only by sticking to very strict diet and exercise programs that most people (probably even you) would have a very difficult time sticking to. They do this day in, day out, no breaks. I really admire their strong determination and hard work.

Not everyone could do it, though.

There are times it's not about simple lifestyle changes - like dropping some pounds and avoiding junk food. Sometimes the changes that need to be made are pretty drastic and not everyone is willing or even able to make those types of dramatic lifestyle changes.

Last edited by springfieldva; 08-18-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
However, some people like myself suffer from depression. In my case its PPD and no amount of being active is going to help with my depression unless I am on meds.
Speaking as someone who's suffered from depression in the past, I strongly disagree. I did what a lot of people with depression do. I took the medication, went to therapy, etc. But none of it worked. Then I started eating better and exercising and my feelings of depression went away. Sure everyone has their bad days and moods fluctuate. But ever since I added exercise to my routine, I've never felt better. And the best part is that I stopped having to rely on drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Actually that's how your posts come across. You're basically looking down at people who have to take prescrfiption meds. Count yourself LUCKY to be blessed with perfect health. I think your activity level may have 20% do do with it and the rest being genetics and good luck 80%.
People need to stop attributing so much to luck and genetics and take more responsibility for their decisions. It seems like everyone is quick to hide behind the "I inherited bad genes" excuse. Yes, genetics matter. But I think their impact is vastly overstated and just convenient way for people to avoid taking responsibility for their behavior.

Quote:
I don't think that anyone is saying you can exercise these diseases away. I think they're talking about the pervasive use of medications to overcome diseases that are behaviorally-induced. Unfortunately, a huge amount of our health care dollars are being spent on those kinds of diseases.
Exactly and it doesn't help that we have a health care system that's brainwashed people into thinking they need drugs for everything. For all the complaints about how expensive our health care system is, the truth is that we take it for granted. Treat your body like **** for 30 years. But don't worry. If you've got insurance, we can put you on drugs to lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. People want quick fixes. Eating healthy and exercising isn't going to make you healthy overnight. Sometimes it takes months, even years to reverse the damage you may done to your body. But no one wants to hear that. They'd rather take a pill than dare to get on a treadmill.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM

[quote=DennyCrane;15522408]Speaking as someone who's suffered from depression in the past, I strongly disagree. I did what a lot of people with depression do. I took the medication, went to therapy, etc. But none of it worked. Then I started eating better and exercising and my feelings of depression went away. Sure everyone has their bad days and moods fluctuate. But ever since I added exercise to my routine, I've never felt better. And the best part is that I stopped having to rely on drugs.

That's all well and good for you I was a mess without my drugs for PPD. Depression is an ILLNESS not something that can be cured by a litlle fresh air and exercise. The chemicals in my brain are off balance. I really hate how people this day and age still seem to think that depression is not an illness, that it's all in our heads that we could overcome it if we just took a nice jog in the morning....pathetic.
I really resent the fact that you seem to be implying that's all I need to do. UNBELIEVABLE.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Diseases have been around forever. There was a time when people walked everywhere, did lots of hard physical labor every day, ate fresh from the farm (junk food wasn't even around) and the average lifespan for those folks was around 40 years old. Yes, people died from contagious diseases/contaminated water, etc. But chronic illnesses like HBP/heart disease/diabetes/depression took young lives, too - there was no way to treat them.

With modern medicine we are now able to have our creature comforts and enjoy an average lifespan of well over 70 years old. Enjoy a healthy lifestyle first and foremost but if you need meds - take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness