Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

I've watched the infommercial for "KettleWerx" again, and considering trying it. Has anyone here done this (or other kettlebell) workout? If so, did you get results and/or lose weight? I'm looking to lose 15 lbs, I don't really want to join a gym, and I have always been curious about kettlebell workouts.
Any insight would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I've watched the infommercial for "KettleWerx" again, and considering trying it. Has anyone here done this (or other kettlebell) workout? If so, did you get results and/or lose weight? I'm looking to lose 15 lbs, I don't really want to join a gym, and I have always been curious about kettlebell workouts.
Any insight would be great, thanks!
Personally I don't think a person should do kettlebell workouts without being properly trained for form. If your form is bad - and one year later my trainer still has to correct my form with kettlebells - you are wasting your time at best and at worse may injure yourself. Do you at least have a friend who is experienced with kettlebells to help you?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
no, I don't have any friends that could train me. I wonder about form as well, it seems all that swinging can stress the joints every now and then? The infommercial didn't look too complicated, however, the moves seemed slow and easy to follow. Just thinking of a way to do a workout that would be challenging and fun. (And I refuse to try P90X-that just looks crazy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Personally I don't think a person should do kettlebell workouts without being properly trained for form. If your form is bad - and one year later my trainer still has to correct my form with kettlebells - you are wasting your time at best and at worse may injure yourself. Do you at least have a friend who is experienced with kettlebells to help you?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
no, I don't have any friends that could train me. I wonder about form as well, it seems all that swinging can stress the joints every now and then? The infommercial didn't look too complicated, however, the moves seemed slow and easy to follow. Just thinking of a way to do a workout that would be challenging and fun. (And I refuse to try P90X-that just looks crazy!)
Here's an example of very bad form, courtesy of Jillian Michaels...its all bad, but the swing at 2:16 makes my back hurt the most.

YouTube - Jillian Michaels "Kettlebell" Workout

Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM

331 posts, read 990,109 times
Quote:
I'd recommend joining a gym for at least a month, and have a trainer show you good form in the gym. You can really hurt yourself with kettlebell exercises if you use bad form. Following a video is one thing, but having someone watch you and tell you "that's going to hurt your back unless you adjust your posture this way" is golden.

I've used kettlebells as part of my workout for a long time, and have hurt my back by using improper form on a new exercise. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I definitely haven't put on any weight by using them (which is one of my goals... to gain weight). They've given me a good workout, and I feel they would be good for weight loss and strength training. Won't really put on muscle mass, but it doesn't sound like that's your goal. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

About time a sports writer points out the horrendous kettlebell technique of Jillian Michaels. She is going to hurt someone.

In-Your-Face Fitness: Jillian Michaels' kettle bell DVD sounds a thud - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/homeentertainment/la-he-fitness-jillian-michaels-20101011,0,5152686.story?page=1 - broken link)

Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
About time a sports writer points out the horrendous kettlebell technique of Jillian Michaels. She is going to hurt someone.

In-Your-Face Fitness: Jillian Michaels' kettle bell DVD sounds a thud - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/homeentertainment/la-he-fitness-jillian-michaels-20101011,0,5152686.story?page=1 - broken link)
I think she lost whatever credibility she had a long time ago. Her personal story may be inspiring, but The Biggest Loser as well as her endless list of products makes it hard to take her seriously as an expert.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think she lost whatever credibility she had a long time ago. Her personal story may be inspiring, but The Biggest Loser as well as her endless list of products makes it hard to take her seriously as an expert.
I agree to a certain extent but sadly the people who need the help the most don't know this. It's one thing when the conversation is about diet or jogging or something... but if some well-meaning obese woman uses Jillian's kettlebell DVD she may well possibly hurt herself so badly she will never work out again. It's dangerous enough to upset me.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Kettlebells can be a very good workout, but you HAVE to be instructed by a certified kettlebell instructor. Otherwise, you can hurt yourself.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM

155 posts, read 252,666 times
Here is the correct way to do kettlebell swings. I dont know what the heck Jillian was doing above, but she was all wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJqPgV681Hg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness