Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Mtneer, this reminds me of an old friend of mine who returned home after boot camp in the Marines, during a short break they got after basic training before reporting to their first assignments. When he tried on some of his old clothes, the buttons nearly popped off of his shirts, and his old pants, which had fit right before boot camp, were so loose they almost looked like a clown's pants. The kicker is that this guy said he weighed the same at this time that he had before enlisting.

What's happening is not that the fat is sliding down your body, or anything like that. What is happening is that you are losing one form of weight--fat--while gaining weight in another form--muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space for the same weight. This is how you can see little or no weight loss from exercise, but still find that your body takes up less space, so your clothes, and your skin until it firms up over time, will be looser than they were before you started working out.
That's a funny story about the Marine. I was debating tonight what to do about the sagger pants in the laundry basket. Should I put them back in the closet or list them on Ebay? They've only been worn once or twice.

Maybe fat sliding down wasn't really a good way for me to phrase it. But it started out it seems at least with fat loss in face, then chest, then around abs going down the body. AND I now have this innertube of saggy skin & fat hanging below my navel. Sure I had a belly but this saggy mess is bigger than my original belly and seems to squash out in a funny way when I sit in a chair. Yeah my waist is slimmer but I got this innertube below the waist that I didn't have before. Just looks odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Not sure what to tell you about the loose flesh. As for losing fat at different rates from different areas, not all bodies are built the same. It varies from person to person where the fat accumulates the most, and where the person gains and loses fat the most quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness