Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 PM

432 posts, read 3,658,027 times

Advertisements

I've been running 5km once a week for about 3 months now. Every time, after about 1 mile i get this shooting pain on the left side of my left leg, and it hurts from about the knee to the ankle on that side of the leg. It almost becomes impossible to walk, much less run. It has been doing this since i started running, but i tried to mentally block it out but i suspect something is wrong. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Is it mostly centered in the knee and the radiates downward? When you get up from a seated position, does your knee pop or make a noise? Does your left leg ever give way when you're just casually walking around the house? If you answer these, it will help.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

No, the knee feels great, it's the muscle on the left side of the leg, almost like it is going to explode.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
yikes! if you dig into the left side of your left leg with a softball (or some other implement) does it trigger pain down at your foot?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM

no, putting pressure on it doesnt hurt it, but i feel the muscle bulging as if i was trying to flex it.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,946 times
I know exactly what you mean; this started happening to my calves (sometimes moving up into the side of my thighs) when I first started running after never running before in my life. The tightness and pain while walking could last a month, particularly if I kept trying to run through it. It's a muscle that stays tense like a charlie horse but it's not quite as debilitating.

First bit of advice: do not run until the muscle has lost its tenseness. You will only make it worse (harder and more painful) and you can run the risk of ripping it. Once your leg muscle has returned to normal, stretch both of your legs for at least 10 minutes then start running. The moment you feel the pain come back (and it will) stop running. The next day, do the same and add more time; again, stop running when the pain comes back. Eventually your muscles will adapt and the pain won't happen anymore. You really need to give this time; it's frustrating, but if you don't ease your way into reshaping your muscles you could really hurt yourself.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
bjornb17, I'd substitute short interval sprints for distance running at the moment. Due to the significantly shorter ground contact time in sprints, you'll have far less pain than you would jogging.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
I'm a runner too: I think what you have is a strained soleus muscle; it's attached to the outside of your shinbone, or tibia. It's a form of a very common runners' malady known as shin splints. (To make sure I am correctly diagnosing your injury, Google Image that muscle anhd make sure that's indeed where it hurts.
If this is correct, then:
you need to take a break from running till it heals. Take some anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or Naproxen and treat the muscle with compression and ice.
Until it heals, get your cardio work done by biking or swimming. NO running!

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 01-24-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm a runner too: I think what you have is a strained soleus muscle; it's attached to the outside of your shinbone, or tibia. It's a form of a very common runners' malady known as shin splints. (To make sure I am correctly diagnosing your injury, Google Image that muscle anhd make sure that's indeed where it hurts.
If this is correct, then:
you need to take a break from running till it heals. Take some anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or Naproxen and treat the muscle with compression and ice.
Until it heals, get your cardio work done by biking or swimming. NO running!

Yes that looks exactly like the muscle that is bulging, thanks for the help! I am pretty bummed up, hoping to run a 5k soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness