Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the word "may" means NO PROOF no SCIENTIFIC FACTS. im sure you understand if quaker could drop "may" and say "does" they would certainly do it. but they cant because that wouldnt be based on facts or conclusive scientific results.

The FDA has, IIUC a fairly rigorous process (no, Im not reading all the long bureaucratic discussion on the FDA website) for certifying different levels of claims. The "may" is actually quite significant, IIUC. Its not neutral - it means, IIUC, substantial evidence, but not decisive proof.

you might want to read this

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...dno=21;cc=ecfr

"The scientific evidence establishes that diets low in fat and high in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables are associated with a reduced risk of some types of cancer. Although the specific role of total dietary fiber, fiber components, and the multiple nutrients and other substances contained in these foods are not yet fully understood, many studies have shown that diets low in fat and high in fiber-containing foods are associated with reduced risk of some types of cancer."

The bolded section is the obstacle to going from may, to does, IIUC.

the language for heart disease is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Like I said, you can work for it. It's out there for you to find. Type in scientific findings. Why should I do all the work for you?
im not asking you to do any searching for me. i already know the answer. you are the one who is very confused about nutrition.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The FDA has, IIUC a fairly rigorous process (no, Im not reading all the long bureaucratic discussion on the FDA website) for certifying different levels of claims. The "may" is actually quite significant, IIUC. Its not neutral - it means, IIUC, substantial evidence, but not decisive proof.

you might want to read this

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

"The scientific evidence establishes that diets low in fat and high in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables are associated with a reduced risk of some types of cancer. Although the specific role of total dietary fiber, fiber components, and the multiple nutrients and other substances contained in these foods are not yet fully understood, many studies have shown that diets low in fat and high in fiber-containing foods are associated with reduced risk of some types of cancer."

The bolded section is the obstacle to going from may, to does, IIUC.

the language for heart disease is similar.
thank you for posting that. le lune wishes to pretend he has the full force of scientific fact on his side but that all becomes a little hazy when you throw in words like "may" and "can" and say that these things "are not yet fully understood."

my opinions on this thread are going to provide the most actual real results that can be measured in a short period of time and help people improve their health. everything le june wants to recommend may reduce the risks of certain health problems maybe many years from now, but you will never really know for sure. thats great, thanks le june.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Quote:
thats great, thanks le june.
First off, it's Le Lune, as June is a moderator. Second, you're welcome. Third, he was arguing against you. And fourth, it's really your choice if you choose to believe it or not, but based on all your assertions, you provided no substance. Whereas I recommended you ideas to educate yourself. If you took a few minutes to look at the threads in the Health sub-forum on CD, you would read that people not only looked better, but felt better and also reversed a few pre-excisting conditions. That's all the proof right there. Again, I'm not saying that limiting your calories is not a bad thing, but eating healthy is something you should really strive for when losing weight.

Why are you willing to tell people to continue poisoning their bodies?

Can you even provide scientific proof that eating healthy doesn't do anything positive for you? The studies I've mentioned are scientific findings that you can find on the internet. Yet you easily brushed it off.

You can continue ragging on how eating healthy doesn't do diddly squat for your health, but please don't whine to your doctor when you develop CVDs, diabetes and all that other jazz from eating crap

Last edited by Le Lune; 03-21-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM

the funny thing is that everybody knows what im saying is true. people want to believe in this magical nutrition of foods that bring benefits that they never see. here is a multiple choice test:

Fill in the blank:

The fat guy got fat because he:

A) Didnt eat enough fruits and vegetables
B) Ate white rice and white bread instead of brown rice and whole grain bread
C) He ate too much

we all know the answer is C. but people want to complicate things and assign healthiness labels to foods that dont deserve them.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
First off, it's Le Lune, as June is a moderator. Second, you're welcome. Third, he was arguing against you. And fourth, it's really your choice if you choose to believe it or not, but based on all your assertions, you provided no substance. Whereas I recommended you ideas to educate yourself. If you took a few minutes to look at the threads in the Health sub-forum on CD, you would read that people not only looked better, but felt better and also reversed a few pre-excisting conditions. That's all the proof right there. Again, I'm not saying that limiting your calories is not a bad thing, but eating healthy is something you should really strive for when losing weight.

Why are you willing to tell people to continue poisoning their bodies?

Can you even provide scientific proof that eating healthy doesn't do anything positive for you? The studies I've mentioned are scientific findings that you can find on the internet. Yet you easily brushed it off.

You can continue ragging on how eating healthy doesn't do diddly squat for your health, but please don't whine to your doctor when you develop CVDs, diabetes and all that other jazz from eating crap
its funny that you think you have posted studies. what studies did you post? you just posted up some OPINIONS of yours that you think are facts. you could never support your claims regarding "healthy" foods and you certainly cant correlate them to weight loss without a simultaneous reduction in calories (which would be the actual cause of the weight loss).

whats poisoning their bodies? these unhealthy foods you are talking about have the same things the healthy ones have; proteins, fats and carbohydrates. you really have absolutely no concern for the true nutritional value of these foods, you only repeat the bs you have been taught all these years. i see that you are a student attempting to get a BS. so what, you took some silly nutrition class in college and you think you are some kind of expert? i noticed that they used fiber as a nutrient. thats kind of funny to me seeing as fiber is just stuff that your body cant digest so it runs through your system. i love fiber and even supplement my diet with whole psyllium husk but there are no scientific facts regarding its benefits, just opinions and dreams. the only fact is that it helps me make big dumps.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 03-21-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I think Captain should post a pic of his body and show us where his philosophy of eating got him....I highly doubt its this because this body takes proper nutrition:
http://www.muscleandfitnessmagazine.biz/

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I think Captain should post a pic of his body and show us where his philosophy of eating got him....I highly doubt its this because this body takes proper nutrition:
Muscle & Fitness Subscriptions - Home
im probably a lot closer to that than you are. its not like i am living on twinkies and coke. my diet is primarily oats, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled chicken with pasta and tomato sauce, cereal, 2 scoops of protein. if you already are at a good weight and health, then you may as well stick to what you are doing or fine tune it by cutting more corners. if you are overweight like most people, then you can lose weight and improve your health on twinkies and coke if you just focus on calorie counting. it would work. its not what i would do but i want people to understand that calorie counting is number 1. to me, number 2 would be your protein, fat and carb counts. fruits are sugar to me and vegetables are space fillers. i love them both, i love all food. choosing stuff like whole grain bread, brown rice, natural peanut butter is silly. eating more veggies is like religion, you wont be able to actually see any benefit but you have faith that in the long run it will reduce your chances of cancer. heart disease and diabetes is pretty simple so im not sure if people can get away with pretending you need to do anything but reduce calories and sugar to avoid those.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
thank you for posting that. le lune wishes to pretend he has the full force of scientific fact on his side but that all becomes a little hazy when you throw in words like "may" and "can" and say that these things "are not yet fully understood."

my opinions on this thread are going to provide the most actual real results that can be measured in a short period of time and help people improve their health. everything le june wants to recommend may reduce the risks of certain health problems maybe many years from now, but you will never really know for sure. thats great, thanks le june.

You sound like the people who claim "evolution is ONLY a theory"

We go by the preponderance of evidence. It may be some time before the mechanisms are completely understood - why should I die while waiting?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
the funny thing is that everybody knows what im saying is true. people want to believe in this magical nutrition of foods that bring benefits that they never see. here is a multiple choice test:

Fill in the blank:

The fat guy got fat because he:

A) Didnt eat enough fruits and vegetables
B) Ate white rice and white bread instead of brown rice and whole grain bread
C) He ate too much

we all know the answer is C. but people want to complicate things and assign healthiness labels to foods that dont deserve them.

Changing A and B will make it far easier to correct C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness