Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

you are wrong. it actually is that simple. you can absolutely lose weight eating pizza and twinkies and drinking soda if you keep it to a specific number of calories. because those foods are very calorically dense, you wont be eating a lot of it. but there is nothing more important than counting calories when it comes to losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,317,631 times
... But at the same time, overeating of healthy foods in calories is still going to make you fat... at least so I think but have no proof. I am always appalled at the amount of calories that brown rice and other whole grains contain. But I still eat them.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
... But at the same time, overeating of healthy foods in calories is still going to make you fat... at least so I think but have no proof...
dont worry about proof, lao has no proof of anything he says yet he talks as if he is some kind of expert on the subject.

a fat person lowers his calories but still eats the same types of foods, his blood tests will improve. add some broccolli, organic crap and fruits to his crap diet and you wont see any improvement.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
The problem with pizza is unless you have made it yourself, it has all kinds of preservatives and fillers in it.

Take-out pizza cheese is not always real cheese, it has cellulose in it which is a filler. The tomato sauce has preservatives, high fructose corn syrup and high levels of salt in it to make it taste good. The ingredients they use for the dough are not always just flour, yeast, water, sugar and salt.

Clean eating is eliminating all those fillers and preservatives. You can make a "clean" pizza if you make your own sauce, dough and use real cheese but most people don't make their own. They stop at Domino's or Papa John's and get the "veggie pizza" which makes them feel like they are eating healthy.

ETA: clean eating also involves eliminating or drastically reducing the simple carbs and highly processed or refined foods (think white flour, white rice, sugar, HFCS, soy fillers...etc)
eating additives may not be healthy, but other than the aforementioned controversy about HFCS, and salt related water retention, I dont know theres any evidence it impacts weight gain or loss. white flour is bad not because its refined, but because its high in simple carbs - white potatos arent any better AFAIK.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
dont worry about proof, lao has no proof of anything he says yet he talks as if he is some kind of expert on the subject.

a fat person lowers his calories but still eats the same types of foods, his blood tests will improve. add some broccolli, organic crap and fruits to his crap diet and you wont see any improvement.

i mostly agree, but would point out if you eat lots brocolli and other veggies, it will be a LOT easier to fill sated on lower calories.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

ETA: clean eating also involves eliminating or drastically reducing the simple carbs and highly processed or refined foods (think white flour, white rice, sugar, HFCS, soy fillers...etc)
Ah. I had a feeling it was something like this. I just consider this proper nutrition. I'm fully convinced now that the food industry doesn't care if I live or die as long as I line their pockets with kizz-ash.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
eating additives may not be healthy, but other than the aforementioned controversy about HFCS, and salt related water retention, I dont know theres any evidence it impacts weight gain or loss. white flour is bad not because its refined, but because its high in simple carbs - white potatos arent any better AFAIK.
I didn't say white flour was bad because it was refined...it's a simple carb which is why it's not as healthy as whole wheat flour.

I also didn't say it impacts weight loss. It's all about the types of calories you eat. I want to maximize nutrition when I make choices.

I'm not a "clean" eater per say...I could do a lot better than I am but I make choices that I know I can continue to live with. If given a choice over Vanilla Chobani -greek yogurt (made with nonfat milk, cane juice, natural vanilla flavor and live cultures) or Fat Free vanilla yoplait (Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Nonfat Milk, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Nonfat Milk, Kosher Gelatin, Aspartame (Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine), Natural Flavor, Potassium Sorbate Added to Maintain Freshness, Vitamin A Acetate, Colored with Turmeric and Annatto Extract, Vitamin D3)

Well I'd rather eat the chobani.

For me it's about maximizing nutrition with the calories I'm eating. Heck I will eat a piece of cake every so often but I don't make habit of it. Those are wasted calories in my opinion.

I don't necessarily agree that spending 1200 calories on healthy food vs. 1200 calories on junk food will give you faster results with weight loss, but I know I am usually more satisfied on 1200 calories of whole, clean foods rather than 1200 calories of donuts, pizza and coke and I'm less likely to "cheat" because I'm satisfied.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM

519 posts, read 1,050,557 times
True Captain NJ!
It is calories in vs calories out.

I've been thin/ underweight all my life and I've had a very simple diet most of that time, bread and milk - for the most part, punctuated with pizza, chocolate and fried chicken.

It doesn't matter what you eat - only HOW MUCH.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,983,817 times
Quote:
you are wrong. it actually is that simple. you can absolutely lose weight eating pizza and twinkies and drinking soda if you keep it to a specific number of calories. because those foods are very calorically dense, you wont be eating a lot of it. but there is nothing more important than counting calories when it comes to losing weight.
OK Chief.

For the people who may read this who have less than a high school GED (see above), I'll put it in even simpler terms.

Take two 200+ pounds overweight maternal twin women who both need to lose weight and place woman #1 on Diet #1 and woman #2 on Diet #2. Both diets are EXACTLY the same in terms of calories. Which one do you think will become healthier/better shape/lose more weight? Its totally obvious.

DIET #1 - 2700 CALORIES
Breakfast - 200 cals, one glazed doughnut
Lunch - 1300 calories - Large Quarter Pounder with cheese meal deal with large fries and soda.
Dinner - 1200 calories - Chicken burrito w/cheese, guacamole, beans from Chipotle (484 cals from FAT)

DIET #2 - 2700 CALORIES
Breakfast - 1 bagel, 1 cup orange juice, 2 egg whites, water
Snack - protein energy bar
Lunch - 1 cup brown rice, 1 1/2 cup steamed vegetables, 4 fortune cookies, 2oz stir-fried shrimp, 1 tsp. vegetable oil, water
Snack - Protein energy bar
Dinner - 1 cup whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup fat free pasta sauce, 1 cup steamed asparagus, 2/3 cup fat free frozen yogurt, 5oz ground beef, water.

Anyone with half a brain will be able to tell which of these two diets is the healthier/better choice for someone who needs/wants to lose weight.

CASE CLOSED!!! CASE DISMISSED!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,930,311 times
Quote:
When it comes to losing weight, it's obvious that caloric intake is a key factor, but when you're considering the bigger picture of everything that comprises good health, then the quality of food matters very much.

Ultimately, maintenance of a healthy weight probably is a matter of calories in versus calories used, but what's really up with the theme of the opening post is that calories burned is not always going to be a simple matter of the number of calories on the food labels. What happens inside the body will be a major factor in determining the number of calories actually burned. Exercise is one factor affecting the calorie burn, but the effects different foods have on body chemistry, and the body's functioning that follows from chemistry, may also figure into the total use of calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness