Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,936 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I would like to share my personal experience. I am 35 years old boy and I do what recommended me my friend. She told me that it is very important to sweat a lot while exercising. She gave me pretty hard time but I promised to her and to myself that I will do what she says. Before I used to hate sweating and now I had to run on the treadmill, in the summer in room with no AC, it was over 90 °F there and she let me run with breaks for almost one and half hour. And because I naturally sweat a lot, I sweated through 2 t-shirts and a big towel, I felt like bathing in my own sweat the whole time. Denise, my friend, said to me that she knows the feeling the sweat pouring of the body is not very comfortable but that I am doing it for my body to sweat out the toxins. And I must say, she was right, and I remember the feeling when I was relaxing after taking a cold shower, drinking mineral water to replenish almost 6 pounds I have lost. And now when I keep sweating out my body this way twice a week for half year, I would say I feel 10 years younger.
So it would interest me if someone has some similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Sweating is great for you. I sweat a lot too and after a workout I am usually drenched. The most important thing is to replace the water in your body. Drink a lot during and after your workout. You should also have a drink with electrolytes in it. Look for one without a lot of sugar. There are tablets you can get that will dissolve in your water.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik.California View Post
that I am doing it for my body to sweat out the toxins.
your friend is ridiculous. the whole concept that your body sweats out the toxins sounds like such a joke to me. i cant believe people have the nerve to actually repeat that, but i guess its been said so many times people start believing it.

sweating is good when you do cardio because if you arent sweating, then you probably arent putting in much effort. but if you put in the same effort, lowered the room temperature to 40 degrees, you may not sweat and the benefit will be the same. the weight lost is meaningless (unless you are cutting for a particular reason) since its just water weight.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
I assume the first post is a joke (I sure hope so). Sweating out "toxins" is hilarious. You're also not losing 6 pounds in weight when you're working out. You're temporarily losing 6 pounds of water weight, which is not weight loss at all.

The second post is also unintentionally misleading ("sweating is great for you.") Um... sweating is NOT great for you if you're hiking in the Grand Canyon in 110 degree temps. To replace the water you're sweating out in such conditions is next-to-impossible. So there are variances as to whether excessive sweating is beneficial, depending where you are and what you're doing.

For the OP: the amount a person sweats is genetic. Generally men sweat more than women though many men sweat very little. It varies from person to person. Just watch professional tennis. Nadal sweats like a pig, Federer barely breaks a sweat even after playing 4 hours.

The most curious things I sometimes see are people wearing heavy clothes in hot weather while out jogging. I've actually asked some of them, "What the heck are you doing?" They erroneously think they get a better work-out while wearing bulky clothes on a 100 degree day. Wrong. They're just making themselves miserably uncomfortable and impeding their workout.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
These responses are correct. Be very sceptical when you hearing anyone talking about eliminating "toxins." My other comment is you should also be concerned about potential heat exhaustion when exercising like this. It will also seem like your body is sweating more when running on a treadmill since the sweat is not evaporating as quickly. That evaporation is what cools your body.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
For me heavy sweating leads to heat rash. So I try to avoid it like the plague. MEasure your heart rate to check your effort.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
One good thing about sweating is that you're getting rid of a lot of sodium. Most people probably get way too much sodium in their diet if they're not doing anything to make themselves sweat on a regular basis.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
To me sweating means I'm burning calories. Just make sure you drink enough water.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
I just like the feeling after a good workout and I am sweaty. I perspire a lot, but I drink a ton of water. You may not be ridding the body of toxins, but for me its just satisfying.
I do not enjoy perspiring if I am not exercising. But I love warm weather so I will take it.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
If nothing else it is stinky..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness