Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times

Advertisements

How about exercise DVD's? That's how I started exercising again after I had my daughter. They range in difficulty from very easy to extremely booty-kicking and there are all types--walking in place, old-school floor and step aerobics, weight training, kick boxing. You can borrow them from the library, rent them sometimes and find them used at some used bookstores. My favorite site to buy them is collage video dot com. They describe them well and have one-minute previews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,160,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephanteazul View Post

Hahaha! Margaritas on the beach, if only that was an approved form of exercise Our ideas of paradise are very similar - especially the bug free part!

It's true that I don't really get 'pumped up' thinking about going for a run, but seeing family members die as a result of not exercising enough is motivation for me to do something new. I think that I just need to get over this fear of looking stupid and just DO something. Just need to figure out what this something should be.

I'm also worried about spending money on classes for anything because I have credit card debt, student loan debt, car loan debt, etc, etc, and every time I spend so much as $1 I think "do I really need this?" and although my health is important my stubborn side says to just make do with what I have. Internal conflict galore!
I come from a long line of non-exercisers. I am not convinced that constant exercise is necessary. Look at large primates in the wild. They forage around all day, munching on whatever is ripe and then they take a nap. Occasionally, they may have to walk a bit to water, or to find something to eat, but overwhelmingly physical exercise is done purely out of necessity sake. And large primates live longer in captivity than they do in the wild.

Primitive human tribes in the Amazon and South Pacific do not "exercise" for it's own sake. The objective for most is to spend as little time exerting themselves as possible. Up until the dietary influences of modern civilization entered into the picture, these primitive people had very minimal health concerns and were generally in good health.

My thoughts are that with it comes to being healthy diet is a lot more important than exercise. Eating a very bad diet and doing all the exercise in the world will not benefit you. There are TONS of examples of people who were very fit dying early because of medical issues.

If you are eating well (and you should be), then I would not stress out so much on the whole exercise thing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How about exercise DVD's? That's how I started exercising again after I had my daughter. They range in difficulty from very easy to extremely booty-kicking and there are all types--walking in place, old-school floor and step aerobics, weight training, kick boxing. You can borrow them from the library, rent them sometimes and find them used at some used bookstores. My favorite site to buy them is collage video dot com. They describe them well and have one-minute previews.
That's what worked for me to get started. I hate exercise, too, and if I have to leave the house to do it, I won't.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
I'm also worried about spending money on classes for anything
Then don't. You said you like walking, right? So ... walk. Challenge yourself to walk faster, to walk farther ... and then to do both. Find new places to walk. Go on trail hikes. Enjoy yourself!

And for heaven's sake, don't listen to anyone who tells you walking "isn't real exercise" or "isn't enough." It's bullcrap.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And for heaven's sake, don't listen to anyone who tells you walking "isn't real exercise" or "isn't enough." It's bullcrap.
I think the OP needs to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to fitness/health and not listen so much to someone who they themselves battle obesity and/or are NOT in good shape themselves.

Walking is better than NOTHING, but if someone is 20 years old and not in bad shape, or as the OP says - not really overweight but also not underweight, then that means they are capable of doing more than just walking. The old ladies in my office go walking on their lunch hour because they are so old and out of shape that running really isnt an option for them. The OP sounds like she IS in good enough starting shape to go jogging/running which will be tremendously more beneficial to her than walking like the old ladies in my office do.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 AM

378 posts, read 1,064,424 times
How about push mowing your lawn and and a few neighbors or two. Keeps you in excellent shape and you are getting work done at the same time and can even get paid for doing the neighbors. When I was younger I use to push mow our lawn regularly and it kept me is great shape. Just as good as if not better than now and I run regularly now. Plus you can't back out of doing it if motivation is a problem.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,928 times
Quote:
Walking most certainly will be enough, if you do it every day for at least 30 minutes each day. It doesn't have to be a chore -- find several places you like to walk, and mix them up. Find new places to walk. The 30 minutes doesn't have to be all at once, either, although it's better for you if you can do it all at once.

Also, make it a habit to sneak in "exercise" whenever you can -- parking far away from the door, getting off the bus two stops early, walking to do errands instead of driving (if you can), etc.

And since you like computers, etc., so much, what about investing in a Wii?
walking 30 minutes/day? fine if you're an old lady or obese or anything else that really prevents you from moving around, but at 20 years old 30 minutes of walking should be part of your non-workout-time, like walking to school, the supermarket, whatever. An exception is if you do your walking on inbetween days, while recovering from the other days running sessions etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think someone spoke positively of walking. its not really going to get you any improvement of any kind if you arent putting out some effort. i dont think walking is enough unless you are a geezer.
Exactly, walking will not do anything particular for your heart, nor your legs or anything else, it's a first step for someone who's practicly handicapped by their physical inability, but for a reasonably healthy 20 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Hmmm, find a kid that can hit a baseball, get a giant bucket of balls.

Take the kid to the field, pitch him the entire bucket of balls and then run to the outfield and collect balls...

whoever gets the most balls collected gets to hit next (this was actually motivation for them to clean up the balls).

We did this yesterday...it was a lot of fun. It's not exactly high intensity but we weren't sitting on our asses either.
sounds like a good idea someone should write a book with stuff like this to get yourself to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Walking won't be enough? You've been doing nothing. Walking is a thousand times better than intertia. As I said, walking 4 miles an hour burns off 400 calories. And I wouldn't knock it, why don't you try walking at this pace? You smoke, I doubt you could do it. Try it and see.
Nope, not if she wants to be a healthy 20-year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think the OP needs to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to fitness/health and not listen so much to someone who they themselves battle obesity and/or are NOT in good shape themselves.

Walking is better than NOTHING, but if someone is 20 years old and not in bad shape, or as the OP says - not really overweight but also not underweight, then that means they are capable of doing more than just walking. The old ladies in my office go walking on their lunch hour because they are so old and out of shape that running really isnt an option for them. The OP sounds like she IS in good enough starting shape to go jogging/running which will be tremendously more beneficial to her than walking like the old ladies in my office do.
EXACTLY. walking as a primary exercise is what you do when you are completely out of ability to do anything else.
There is one other time when walking as an exercise is good, and that's when you're still having your legs recover from running the day before or so and you don't want to over-work your legs...

I was sort of in the OPs shoes a couple of weeks ago, had an injury that prevented me from just about any cardio or other training this winter and so I was completely out of shape, catching my breath after 2 flights of stairs. That was 3 weeks ago, This monday I jogged 12 km. Didn't go as fast as I'd hoped for, I had to stop 6 times to stretch out a certain muscle in my hip that kept cramping up, but I got through. It ain't fun and cardio sux, but the rewards for the effort are nice... I want my old sixpack back :P

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM

374 posts, read 760,443 times
Quote:
Since I don't know the first thing about fitness I thought maybe you guys could help.

Why don't you try to find a beginning runner's class? In most running clubs they are called "Running 101" classes. Like these:

http://www.cornbelt.org/women11qcdc.pdf (broken link)

or

RunningFit.com - Running 101

By doing something like this you could meet people who are at a similar fitness level and you could work together toward the goal of running a 5k. You might be surprised and really enjoy group running. Running is a very good way to stay in shape.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I'm at a loss how you could consider someone who puts 150+ miles a month on her sneakers and who has completed a half-dozen half- and full marathons as "not in good shape." But .. whatever.

Quote:
Walking is better than NOTHING, but if someone is 20 years old and not in bad shape, or as the OP says - not really overweight but also not underweight
Weight and age have nothing to do with how effective walking is as far as exercise. But you go right ahead and continue to belittle people who are trying to improve their health and fitness.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,981,753 times
Quote:
I'm at a loss how you could consider someone who puts 150+ miles a month on her sneakers and who has completed a half-dozen half- and full marathons as "not in good shape." But .. whatever.

Weight and age have nothing to do with how effective walking is as far as exercise. But you go right ahead and continue to belittle people who are trying to improve their health and fitness.
Bottom line is, if someone is capable of running/jogging (not so obese that they cant run and they are not battling injuries) then recommending walking is a poor poor poor thing to do. A personal trainer you are most definitely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness