Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,632,156 times

Advertisements

I'm lost here.

Anyone clarify these terms?

I know Raw is uncooked & in natural state like bean sprouts (alpha or clover, broccoli, etc.)? I think Paleo has seeds & nuts? Lectins are in UNCOOKED beans, etc. & cause disease or GI upset? And finally, what is this back & forth about whole grains -- & they being BAD for health?

I know carbs raise bld sugar but whole grains (complex GOOD carbs, no?) also raise insulin levels, & so get a bad rap for this? I'm totally confused on what I THOUGHT I knew re: nutrition. Thanks anyone.

Last edited by movintime; 07-08-2011 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times
I'm no nutritionist but I don't think there's anything bad about whole grains except they could slow down or prevent you from losing weight at a certain percentage of your daily intake. All carbs will raise your insulin levels resulting in an increase in appetite.

From what I understand, a lot of nutrients in vegetables are only released when cooked so it's not always a great idea just to eat them raw (although again, nothing bad other than the bean digestion problem).

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Paleo isn't a raw diet. It just eliminates grain-based foods, dairy, beans, etc. Basically anything that is farmed. You have free reign to cook anything/everything, though.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM

295 posts, read 1,451,223 times
Hooligan hit it on the head for Raw/Paleo.

Lectin can be either a good or bad protein, depending how much you eat, how raw it is, and what you eat with it. Unless you are eating a vegan diet, you would likely get enough variety of other proteins, vitamins, and minerals to balance out the negative aspects of lectin.

Any product in the supermarket which incorporates the majority of the grain is considered a 'whole grain'. Of course it is still ground up so that your body can process it exactly as it would a non-whole grain product. When you eat a grain product (bread, pasta, rice, cookies, etc.), the grain form has been modified to a point that your body can instantly process it for fuel. If you are mostly sedentary, and routinely eat some form of processed grain (whole grain or not - it really doesn't matter), your body has no choice except to store that fuel - which it stores as fat. Pretty much all the latest scientific studies about nutrition support this, which is why there have been a surge of diets over the past ten years that focus on high-protein and low-carbs (Adkins, South Beach, Zone, Paleo...). High carb intake is also related to high insulin (diabetes) and some other ailments. Of course, those with higher metabolisms don't store as much fat, and not everyone has the same insulin reaction to a carb-loaded diet.

The bottom line is: What is "bad" for you is dependent upon your DNA. If you play with your diet long enough, you will figure out what is best for you. Too much processed carbohydrate, sodium, and trans fat in your diet is probably not a good thing. You just have to adjust how much of these things you ingest depending on if you want to be lean and muscular, don't mind having a 20% body fat, or don't care how much body fat you have as long as you don't die of heart failure.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

366 posts, read 775,478 times
Default Paleo - diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm lost here.

Anyone clarify these terms?

I know Raw is uncooked & in natural state like bean sprouts (alpha or clover, broccoli, etc.)? I think Paleo has seeds & nuts? Lectins are in UNCOOKED beans, etc. & cause disease or GI upset? And finally, what is this back & forth about whole grains -- & they being BAD for health?

I know carbs raise bld sugar but whole grains (complex GOOD carbs, no?) also raise insulin levels, & so get a bad rap for this? I'm totally confused on what I THOUGHT I knew re: nutrition. Thanks anyone.
Paleo - diet consist of lean meats and fish, plenty of vegetables, nuts and fruits, and little or nothing in the way of carbs.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
Paleo - diet consist of lean meats and fish, plenty of vegetables, nuts and fruits, and little or nothing in the way of carbs.
If you're eating fruits, vegetables, and nuts, then you're not getting "nothing" in the way of carbs. They all all have carbs - though most of them are pretty low in carb content per serving.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
What do you think a vegetable is? Cut the vegetables out and replace them with Twinkies if you want to eat less carbs.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What do you think a vegetable is? Cut the vegetables out and replace them with Twinkies if you want to eat less carbs.
You'd need to eat a lot of veggies, particularly if they're green, to get the carb load of a twinkie. I can eat vegetables at every meal and still be under 20 carbs for the day.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
True, CAVA, but less true with fruits - which are not limited in any way by eating Paleo.

A banana has nearly as many carbs as a Twinkie, granted most would consider them much healthier carbs vs. the Twinkie.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You'd need to eat a lot of veggies, particularly if they're green, to get the carb load of a twinkie. I can eat vegetables at every meal and still be under 20 carbs for the day.
Cool.

If you ate the same calories of Twinkies as vegetables, you'd be even further under "20 carbs", whatever that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness